High Mileage 2001 Sahara Build

Wow I’m sure that feels like a different Jeep!

That's the funny part. Drives exactly as it did before, besides the brakes, small RPM difference, and a little noise from the Savvy TT. I'm very happy with how it all turned out, especially considering my frame had to be straightened originally. I was worried it would never drive straight down the road again. It is still aligned perfectly and only needs two-finger steering going down the highway. Only problem on the highway is wind. I'm assuming the Savvy TT —> pinion angle has caused the caster angle to change a little. It is a bit hard to control in high winds and would definitely scare someone who wasn't used to it.

One thing I do want to touch on is the brakes. HOLY F@#$. The BMB 15" kit will throw you into the windshield if you aren't careful. It is pretty crazy how much better it is over my stock brakes and 33's. One thing I have noticed is that they are very inconsistent in the rain. It is either full lock / long hydroplane slide at slight brake pressure or I can stomp on them and stop immediately. I've also noticed that the front left likes to lock up very very very easily sometimes (meaning I can't even come to a full stop without a loud screeching locked up tire). Only happens every once in a while and goes away if I stomp on the brakes hard enough. Hoping to figure that out at some point but I really know nothing about brake systems so I'm not sure I'd be comfortable doing that myself.

Last edited:
^ What he said. Stomping the pedal may just cause the line to open up long enough and work properly. Or they could just need a proper bleeding again.

Did they put new lines on for you? Kinda sounds like you have a collasped line.

^ What he said. Stomping the pedal may just cause the line to open up long enough and work properly. Or they could just need a proper bleeding again.

They put all new brake lines from front to back. Not sure if that includes the rubber lines that go to the caliper, but I know the entire Jeep has all new hardline. I will definitely take a look later tonight. I noticed that it started to lock up after I drove around in the rain. I assumed the rotor had just rusted a little overnight, but it didn't start working properly for quite a few stops so I concluded that couldn't be it.

I definitely need to get it fixed. I had a pretty scary moment when driving around in the rain a few days ago. Came off the highway going about 65, downshifted to fourth, and started to slow down. Then suddenly the Jeep jerked left and started sliding sideways, putting me straight on course for a giant concrete bridge support and some concrete jersey barriers. I just let the Jeep work itself out and it straightened back up. I thought that I hit a really deep puddle on the off-ramp, but now I'm not so sure the front left brake didn't just lock up.

Last edited:
Reactions: ranger101
Well, I looked at my brake lines briefly. The lines to the caliper were not replaced, just the hardline. I'm assuming a collapsed brake line would just entail being able to squeeze it closed. My brake line seems pretty ridged all the way up and down the line.

One thing I did notice while I was down there is that my shock is too long (I think). I'd be really surprised if I only had 3.75" of available up-travel (being limited by something other than the shock). I think I need another inch of lift and some shorter shocks. Definitely want to move the mounts at some point, but that is a little bit down the road after things like new paint and beadlocks. Never noticed this before mostly because I didn't know much about up-travel. Been reading more about it lately.

Good thread. Keep up the good work. I'd address the front shocks soon, by the looks of the shaft you are using all the travel it has to offer.

Good thread. Keep up the good work. I'd address the front shocks soon, by the looks of the shaft you are using all the travel it has to offer.

It is going to get Currie 4" springs and some Savvy Fox shocks in the spring most likely. Current shocks are way too long.

Picking the Jeep up from the shop tomorrow night if all goes well. They are putting new ball joints in, looking at the brakes, trying to clearance the exhaust from the driveshaft, fixing up a few leaks, and re-torquing the suspension.

I'm heading out very early Friday morning for Wyoming. Looking at the weather for Sunday, it could get a little interesting. The town I'm heading to has 3 routes in and out, all go through canyon roads or through mountain passes that like to close often.

Other than that, I'm making some plans for what the Jeep is getting in the spring. So far, I've come up with:
  • Currie 4" Springs
  • Savvy Shocks
  • Fender rust bubbling / repaint
  • Repaint Hood
  • Power steering cooler
  • Dynamat on transmission tunnel

I have some questions.

1) Savvy shocks come in a few different lengths. It appears I can get 4" - 5" lift or 3" - 4.5" lift for the front. I'm assuming the 3" - 4.5" shock is a little shorter, meaning it would be biased for a little more up-travel. Any expert opinions on which one would fit better with my Currie springs?

2) I've heard that a company (maybe teraflex) makes shock mount relocation brackets for the rear that would increase the distance between the shock mounting points by about an inch. I have a 1.25" body lift so I should be able to fit those. Are those brackets worth it or useful? Not going to be out-boarding in the foreseeable future.

3) What is the best power steering cooler? I'm having a hard time finding anything besides PSC. Is getting a power steering cooler even worth it or should I start changing the whole steering system for more power? Jeep steers like a dream right now, but I keep blowing power steering pumps every few thousand miles for some reason I can't figure out.

If anyone has any answers about the shock or power steering questions above ^^^^, let me know. Hoping to order some stuff soon.

Today I finished my last final exam, picked up the Jeep from the shop, reinstalled my carpet, and packed up. Heading out at about 5:30 AM tomorrow morning. Hoping to get most of the way through South Dakota. Then Saturday is Badlands National Park and Devils Tower. On Sunday I'll be at Grand Teton National Park, my final destination for the week.

It got new ball joints this week. Also got the exhaust "fixed" (AKA bashed in). Good enough for now, but definitely going to need a new down-pipe and cats in the spring...

Last edited:
Put in 700 miles today. No drama besides my speedometer and cruise control suddenly stopped working at around mile 650. Checked all the connectors for the speedohealer once I got to the hotel and nothing seemed wrong. Fired the Jeep back up and the speedometer starting working again. Don't know what thats about.

Put in 700 miles today. No drama besides my speedometer and cruise control suddenly stopped working at around mile 650. Checked all the connectors for the speedohealer once I got to the hotel and nothing seemed wrong. Fired the Jeep back up and the speedometer starting working again. Don't know what thats about.

View attachment 83862

View attachment 83861
Sounds like the jeep did good!

Sounds like the jeep did good!

The noises coming from the transmission are a bit concerning. Some grinding noises when at speed. I'm hoping it is just the Savvy TT combined with the loud NV3550. My transmission only has around 5k miles on it.

Otherwise the Jeep is doing well. Checked all the fluids throughout the day and found no problems. Just went 65 mph / 2250 rpm on cruise control. Got around 16 mpg from some very rough calculations. Tomorrow should only be around 400 miles versus 700 today.

Badlands national park is a really cool place. Need to spend more time here in the future. Lot of dirt roads that I didn’t have time to take. I’m off towards Devils Tower in Wyoming.

Some photos from this morning:

Devils Tower is an eerie place!

I did the whole "hike" 360 degrees around the Tower without seeing a single other person. Trail was snow covered in places so I lost it a couple times. Thought the devil himself was about to jump out and get me!

When I did the circle hike in about 2010, there was some kind of Native American ceremony happening. People were tying small packets of tobacco on the trees. It was a neat thing to see.

When I did the circle hike in about 2010, there was some kind of Native American ceremony happening. People were tying small packets of tobacco on the trees. It was a neat thing to see.

I saw some purple things tied to trees throughout the hike. I assumed they were markers for the trail so I didn't look at them very closely. Wonder if those were actually apart of some ceremony.

Devils Tower is definitely a neat place but the surrounding area gave me a very desolate feel. I went to most towns in Wyoming during the 4 years I lived here but nothing quite seemed as remote as the area I was in today.

Reactions: jjvw
There were signs letting us know there was an event and to be respectful. I remember seeing a guy off in the trees surrounded by the bags and cloths saying prayers and smoking. From what I gather, its a somewhat common thing there.

Reactions: jodomcfrodo