High mileage oil?

joniki

TJ Enthusiast
I have an 06 TJ Wrangler with the 4.0 and 180K miles. Is it worth it to run the high mileage syntetic? I have run Valoline for 10-40 in all of my vehicles for 50 years

Many folks here advocate high-mileage conventional motor oil for our TJs. Shamelessly plagiarized from @Jerry Bransford:

As engine seals age they tend to dry out from conventional lubricants, especially from many synthetics. High mileage engine oils have additional ingredients meant specifically to restore the seals and in most cases they'll stop leaks from the seals after having been restored. It's not just plugging the leaks in other words.

Reactions: Mike Z
I have an 06 TJ Wrangler with the 4.0 and 180K miles. Is it worth it to run the high mileage synthetic? I have run Valvoline for 10-40 in all of my vehicles for 50 years
Personally I run a High Mileage conventional 10W-30. Never had an engine problem/failure in nearly 60 years of driving with conventional engine oils. The High Mileage version helps to keep the seals in good condition so they don't leak which is fairly common with some synthetic engine oils.

Walmart. 🤫

1661903709492.png

there's another thread on this already...

Just one? There are a ton and that's fine.
I have an 06 TJ Wrangler with the 4.0 and 180K miles. Is it worth it to run the high mileage syntetic? I have run Valoline for 10-40 in all of my vehicles for 50 years

If you don't have leaks there is no reason to switch, do what works for you. I personally wouldn't go from 40 to 30 on an older engine. For example 10w40 to 10w30. I might go 15w-40, that's easy to find and cheap. It's just oil, don't get too caught up in all the talk about synthetic and conventional. Just try a few and find what you can afford and doesn't cause leaks.

Reactions: diggerwolf
10w30 high mileage conventional is the way to go. Hard to find but definitely possible. See my recent thread on 10w30 hm oil.