High oil pressure

RAC02

TJ Enthusiast
Hey my 2000 Jeep oil pressure just became high (80) I have noticed that it drops while accelerating. Any suggestion would help! Thanks

But would it make sense that it drops when accerating? I would think of bad sensor it would not read at all
The wrong model sender will cause that problem. I spent all day getting the right oil pressure sender from Autozone one Sunday (when the local dealer's parts department was closed) for my son's Grand Cherokee and even though all three senders they gave me after three trips there had the same p/n one of the three they gave me had that problem. Oil pressure was high at idle and went down as the rpms went up. Clearly bad quality control. I'd go strictly for a good quality sender. Mopar if you can get it, NAPA's premium sender if you can't.

Definitely. It just unscrews out of the block just in front of the oil filter.

Ok thanks. It’s not taking low. It’s reading 80, then when I’m moving it drops a little, but never low. I’m cornered it’s engine issues. I don’t have a manual gauge to check though and didn’t want to fork over 50+ dollars for nothing

If you have a manual gauge and fitting screw it in the port where the sending unit goes while you have it out, should give you an accurate reading and a piece of mind.

Reactions: BlueC
Ok thanks. It’s not taking low. It’s reading 80, then when I’m moving it drops a little, but never low. I’m cornered it’s engine issues. I don’t have a manual gauge to check though and didn’t want to fork over 50+ dollars for nothing
Doubtful the oil pressure is too low but I'd still replace the sender. Mopar 56028807 is the OEM p/n but they're hard to find, I'd either go for a Standard Motor Products or Vemo at https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...tch+&+relay,oil+pressure+sender+/+switch,4588

Avoid cheap store brands like the plague or you'll likely get another one that doesn't work properly.

Whenever my 92 Yj with 300,000 mi reads 80 PSI at hot idle, I know the sensor is shot.

Worn engines do not suddenly start producing 80 PSI at idle.

Reactions: RAC02
Doubtful the oil pressure is too low but I'd still replace the sender. Mopar 56028807 is the OEM p/n but they're hard to find, I'd either go for a Standard Motor Products or Vemo at https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...tch+&+relay,oil+pressure+sender+/+switch,4588

Avoid cheap store brands like the plague or you'll likely get another one that doesn't work properly.

My concern is not that it’s going to low. I’m sorry I’m not explaining it well. It goes to 80. It stays at 80. But it drops to around 60 when moving. When I’m at a idea it goes back to 80. Which is all the way high.

My concern is not that it’s going to low. I’m sorry I’m not explaining it well. It goes to 80. It stays at 80. But it drops to around 60 when moving. When I’m at a idea it goes back to 80. Which is all the way high.
Stop worrying about it and replace the sender already. :)

lol true just trying to decide if I should but the manual pressure Gage first because I can take that back
Installing a manual gauge with the gauge inside is a royal PITA compared to just installing a good new oil sender. I have installed several manual pressure gauges when I was younger but now, I would always install an electronic version if given the choice. And in the TJ I wouldn't even consider a manual oil pressure gauge. :)

Installing a manual gauge with the gauge inside is a royal PITA compared to just installing a good new oil sender. I have installed several manual pressure gauges when I was younger but now, I would always install an electronic version if given the choice. And in the TJ I wouldn't even consider a manual oil pressure gauge. :)

i can’t seem to find the switch on the block. I have a 2.5L. Do you know where it could be?

100% get a Mopar. I bought a Standard from RockAuto as it was cheap and available. It lasted 10 minutes, yes 10 minutes and failed low. I bit the bullet and bought a Mopar and it has been working perfectly since (6 months or so).