High pitch whine during acceleration

Just yesterday I made a 400+mile trip and today I go to take a drive and when I accelerate my engine is making a high pitch whining noise and is idling pretty rough when I first start it. But like I said only makes this whining during acceleration and at no other point. Anyone know what it could be so I have an idea ?

Have you checked your serpentine belt? That's the first thing I think of. Visually inspect it and see what kind of shape it's in.

Also, are there any check engine lights?

Reactions: Stinger
I'll take a look at the belt but yes I probably should have mentioned there is a check engine light on.
Turn your ignition switch on-off-on three times in quick succession and then leave it in the on position. Give the diagnostic routine some time to work, several seconds at least, and the DTC (diagnostic trouble code) code(s) will start displaying in the odometer display. The only model years this does not work on are 98 through mid-00. You need an external code reader only for those couple model years.

Write down the codes as they display and post them up here.

If you did it right, it will always at least either display a '55' or a 'Done' code, depending on the model year. Again, this only does not work on 98 to mid 00 models. :)

Reactions: JulietTangoAlpha
Turn your ignition switch on-off-on three times in quick succession and then leave it in the on position. Give the diagnostic routine some time to work, several seconds at least, and the DTC (diagnostic trouble code) code(s) will start displaying in the odometer display. The only model years this does not work on are 98 through mid-00. You need an external code reader only for those couple model years.

Write down the codes as they display and post them up here.

If you did it right, it will always at least either display a '55' or a 'Done' code, depending on the model year. Again, this only does not work on 98 to mid 00 models. :)

Just tried it out and pulled P1594 and P0432

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P1594: Charging System Voltage Too High Battery, voltage sense input above target charging voltage during engine operation.
P0432: 1/2 Catalytic Converter Efficiency Catalyst 2/1 efficiency below required level.

The whine could be alternator related as evidenced by the charging voltage being too high.

P1594: Charging System Voltage Too High Battery, voltage sense input above target charging voltage during engine operation.
P0432: 1/2 Catalytic Converter Efficiency Catalyst 2/1 efficiency below required level.

The whine could be alternator related as evidenced by the charging voltage being too high.

So what should I do from here? Does this mean I need a new Cat and alternator?

Sounds good! I look forward to hearing back. Sometimes the results end up helping someone else with the same issues, so it's much appreciated.

Reactions: JulietTangoAlpha
Sorry for the late post, but it was for sure the alternator so that got replaced and all is well. As for the Cat, I had previously replaced an O2 sensor but had them clear the code and so far all is well with that. Hopefully it doesn't pop off again. Thank you everyone for the advice!

Reactions: Chris
Make sure you check, or keep an eye on, your battery too..especially the electrolyte level. Sometimes when the alternator goes, it fries the battery. Hopefully the shop checked that too. A hydrometer can help to check the electrolyte balance...you can get one at any auto parts store or Walmart.