It is there to be had if you want to do one of two things. Either grind the flange off the nutserts down flush to the frame or counterbore the top of the mounting holes in the skid to account for the nutsert flange thickness. One of those options is viable, the other is not.Ok! Bear with me. The GR brackets are part of my thinking. Couldn't this be an opportunity to raise the skid equal to the thickness of the frame brackets and shims? The skid would need to be clearanced for the frame nutserts or the nutserts would need to be replaced with a sleeve for a through bolt. And the outputs would be a hair higher.
I realize this is less than an 1/8" gain, but it's there to be had, right?
I know a guy who sells replacement frame nutserts!It is there to be had if you want to do one of two things. Either grind the flange off the nutserts down flush to the frame or counterbore the top of the mounting holes in the skid to account for the nutsert flange thickness. One of those options is viable, the other is not.
Yes and no. It is like the clearance design of rear axle center sections. It isn't the low point only, it is also the width of the low point. Having 13" of low point down the middle of the rig is far better than having the full width 1.75" lower all the way across.Subtract 1.75" for the skid, if I recall.
Super 35 vs 8.8 kinda sortaYes and no. It is like the clearance design of rear axle center sections. It isn't the low point only, it is also the width of the low point. Having 13" of low point down the middle of the rig is far better than having the full width 1.75" lower all the way across.
Here you go as promised with a slight delay for which I apologize.First on the agenda is connecting up the parking brake. When I started this build, this part we thought was going to be a challenge. It ended up being super easy and only a few brackets were needed.
I started with a 304 stainless steel remnant. It feels great to be making chips again!
View attachment 65873
These cable adapter links were made with 1" of separation between the holes:
View attachment 65874
I previously mentioned that I made and welded on parking brake retainers. What I did was I cut and drilled a small tab of 1/4" steel and used a 3-1/2" hole saw at the bottom of them to match the curve of the axle tube and then welded a short support leg onto that. Here's a picture from back when I made them:
View attachment 65875
And here's a good look at the parking brake assembled:
View attachment 65876
Once I got the parking brake off the list, UPS delivered the 10mmx1.0 to -6AN fitting I was waiting on. I removed the diff cover and quickly chased the threads and got the new fitting in. I topped it with a PTFE lined stainless steel hose with a 90* fitting on the near end. This solution is going to clear the bridge perfectly and at the other end of the hose I can go back to a barbed fitting to finish bringing the breather up to the firewall.
View attachment 65877
Tomorrow I'm going to try again.Here you go as promised with a slight delay for which I apologize.
Your connecting link made with nothing but hand tools. Cut with a cut-off disc in a hand held grinder, drilled and deburred with a hand drill, finished with a flap disc in a hand held grinder.
View attachment 68122
View attachment 68123
View attachment 68124
View attachment 68125
It's crazy how that works. Things that I had to mull over a year ago I now immediately know what to do and can get it done in a fraction of the time. I've been trying to prioritize learning during this build rather than getting it done. This means that sometimes I end up redoing something 5 times even if it was good enough the first time.I can definitely see a road trip this summer to come and see this beast! Awesome build and it's nice to see some of your skillsets grow through the project progression.
I called Currie. They make 3 axle skids: 60 (60-9085), 60VXR (60-9085B), and 70 (70-9085). They were unable to make the exchange for me directly so I contacted Ricky (4LowParts, where I bought) and he was able to contact Currie and make things right. This is where purchasing through a seller who's willing to take the time to help is worth it.toximus said:I tried installing the replacement axle skid that I was sent when my axle didn't arrive with one. I can't make it fit. I think it's actually a skid for the RJ60 and the RJ60VXR may share the skid with the 70. It has become clear during this build that Currie has a disconnect between their shop floor and customer service when it comes to the RockJock 60 VXR. The knowledge and support from them has been filled with lots of misinformation. I'll give them a call on Monday to try and get this skid issue resolved.