High travel, high clearance & high octane, a streetable adventure LJ story

Second, so you put bigger tires on, which effectively reduces your wheelbase. Why can't you extend your lower arms to increase the wheelbase back to where you want it? Or if you do that, are you losing the belly height you were wanting to achieve for that breakover angle?

The biggest reason why you can't simply extend the arms to get wheelbase back is because you're going to mess up your geometry. Bad geometry can commonly show itself in poor braking and poor climbing ability. If I build my geometry for 37s and extended the wheelbase slightly (all other factors being nonexistent for this discussion) for 40s the Jeep would not climb as well.

Another thing to understand is that any adjustments to the wheelbase via the control arms is really determined by the amount of bump stop extension. The wheel's travel follows an arc dictated by the control arms. As you increase the ride height, the wheel base will shrink.

Because of this travel arc, adding bump stop extension also decreases the wheel base at full bump causing the bump stops to not line up as well as they once did. Using the adjustable control arms, the wheel base is increased to realign the bump stops and, at the same time, recenter the wheel within the wheel opening.

More importantly and more simply, extending the wheelbase via control arm length can quickly cause interferences with the gas tank and steering. And the body can get in the way of the tires. There just isn't much room to add wheel base in that manner.

On a side note, I'm sure tox has noticed that with his longer arms, the loss of wheelbase is less now than the same setup with short arms. This is because of the shallower travel arc created by the arms.

2003 Rubicon

Reactions: MangoTango
I test fit the drive flanges in the front, in this case Yukon Hardcore Locking Hubs (part number: YHC70002). These have the strongest design to the extent of my knowledge of any manual hubs. I decided to go with manual hubs vs a traditional drive flange in the front so that if I end up with vibes due to the higher driveline angle and harmonics of deep gearing I can unlock the fronts while on the road. I'll be able to set proper caster angle without worrying as much about pinion angle.

20180409_no-c-clip-stubs.jpg

I came across one potential issue because RCV does not groove the stub shafts for the 1999-2004 Ford Dana 60. Because the inner shaft has room to move 1" in further to the differential, under the right conditions, it was a concern that this could lead to failure of either the shaft or the drive flange if the stub doesn't have full engagement. If the stub shafts were grooved and a snap ring in place the shafts would be sandwiched into place by the unit bearing and unable to slide around. I considered a few ideas for grooving them myself, which RCV said would not void the warranty and there's quite a bit of tolerance for error so I have no doubt they'd work fine, but in the end I decided to send them to RCV for grooving as it was the easiest option and I think they'll look the nicest when I have to look at them every time I take the front axle apart.

20180423_rcv-no-groove.jpg

RCV has constantly provided me helpful customer service and never once made me feel like I was wasting their time despite my multiple long phone calls. Even when I wanted the shafts grooved, even though they said it's not necessary, they did not make me feel bad about it. If I need other shafts in the future I will not hesitate to buy from them.

One trick I figured out to removing the shafts from the housing if they don't just pull out is to slip the orange RCV boot off and fit a c-clamp on the CV joint ball face and the unit bearing face on the knuckle to push the shaft out. This does in minutes what I was unable to do by just tugging on the shafts.

20180413_remove-rcv-shafts.jpg

Reactions: JMT
For my steering I will be copying a crossover steering design that Blaine has perfected. Bumpsteer is virtually non-existent with this design. I'll try and cover the specifics and theory of why as I go through laying out the steering. It allows for straight linkages which are simple to make, stronger, and cleaner looking. His steering page is worth looking at and studying if you're looking to build something similar.

Up until recently, Currie could optionally mill their upper steering arms to place a hole to be in shear with the lower arms. Unfortunately they will no longer do this custom work. Blaine and I brainstormed some ideas for placing the 3/4" hole on the upper arm to be in line with the lower, and this is what I came up with after combining some of our ideas into a simple and reproducible jig for projecting:

20180413_steering-from-currie.jpg

(Blank upper steering arm from Currie)

1) We start with a 1/2" countersunk bolt that is 2" in length. A longer 6" bolt would be better so that the drill bit does not deflect later but this is as long as I can find with it still being fully threaded and I don't want to spend the time threading and drilling the longer one.

20180412_12-countersunk-bolt.jpg

2) At your drill press take a centering bit (or other small bit and work your way to a 1/4" drill bit) and place it upside down in the chuck, don't tighten. Run the bit down and clamp it into a lower vice so that the bit is centered with the DP chuck.

20180412_centering-drill-vice.jpg

3) Place your 1/2" bolt into the DP, threads first, and tighten the chuck.

4) Spin up the DP and drill a 1/4" hole perfectly down the center. You might need to raise the bolt every so often to allow chips to clear.

20180412_center-drilling-bolt.jpg

Take the bolt and bring it over to your knuckles.

a) Place the bolt through the lower steering arm on the cast knuckle, from the bottom up.

b) Take a 1/2" washer and nut and tighten the nut down on the bolt. Torque it just enough so it won't move on you. Both sides of the steering knuckle are machined flat in perfect parallel with the upper arm. This jig is a 2 part method for projecting the lower hole onto the upper, #1 is that the countersunk head places the bolt perfectly in the concentric center of the lower steering arm hole, #2 is that by using a washer and tightening the nut down on the other side we perfectly center the bolt in the vertical plain.

20180412_steering-jig.jpg

c) The hole in the bolt should now be perfectly guiding a 1/4" drill bit to the top arm. I used a commonly available 12" long 1/4" drill bit. Use a hand drill to place the 1/4" hole into the top arm. Be mindful of how much pressure you're applying so that the drill bit does not flex and travel on the surface.

20180412_14-hole-upper-arm.jpg

d) Once you're all the way through the upper arm with the 1/4" drill bit you can finish with a 3/4" drill bit in either a hand drill or drill press.

20180413_drilling-34-hole-upper-steering-arm.jpg

e) Finally drill your lower steering arms with the 3/4" bit to remove the current TRE taper. And test fit your 3/4"x8" grade 8 bolt.

20180412_steering-34-bolt-in.jpg

If anybody is trying to recreate this and you do not have a drill press, I started this idea by playing around with a vented bolt that had a 1/8" hole down the center. Another idea is to use a tapered lug nut off your Jeep for the nut side and use a flat head bolt and washer on the other side. Alternatively, I can mail you the jig and 12" long 1/4" drill bit for the cost of shipping as long as you will return it once you are done.

Last edited:
Here's a look inside the front differential:

20180419_inside-front-rockjock60vxr-super60.jpg

I had to take a look at something inside or else I would have left it on until the first oil change. Currie installed the cover with a gasket and RTV on one side. I am replacing with a LubeLocker. It's a bit of a gamble as I have heard of some issues with them leaking when hammered offroad. Since the RJ60 is at an angle the cover is a bit out of the way so I think it may be better protected. If it ends up leaking at least it won't dump fluid like a Dana 30 or Dana 44 would and I will switch back to RTV. That said, using RTV isn't a big struggle here since there's a lot more work that needs to happen when taking the cover off anyway (like the truss needing to be removed first). I always feel like I'm going to get old RTV bits into the diff when I clean the surfaces, so if the LL ends up working: great! If not, I don't envision it being a big issue since I can apply RTV right on the trail.

Doing it for science!

20180419_inside-front-rockjock60vxr-super60.jpg

I removed the passenger's side knuckle and unit bearing and sent them over to Black Magic Brakes for fitting front brakes.

One cool bit about these '04 Ford style outers is that there is a sleeve on the top ball joint for adjusting caster. The sleeves installed are 0*.

20180428_balljoint-camber-sleeve.jpg

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I ground off the rear factory control arm mounts and clamped the new Savvy mid-arm 4-link brackets on. Something neat about this kit is that it allows you to secure the frame side brackets into place with c-clamps and fully cycle the axles. Once you are happy with the placement you can burn the brackets on.

20180424_frame-rail-lines-tied_back.jpg

20180424_lca-bracket-cut.jpg

20180427_savvy-mid-arm-clamped.jpg

For removing old brackets from the first side I used my Dewalt 20v angle grinder. It took so long and I went through 4x 4.0ah batteries twice that while they were charging again I broke down and treated myself to a Metabo WP12-115. This did the same work in a fraction of the time. The ergonomics of it also fit just right in my hands.

While adjusting the new brackets I looked over and noticed that some rust had caved in inside my frame. I thought I had completely taken care of the issue last year when I fully cleaned out my frame and used Eastwood Internal Frame Coating and POR-15 outside. Bummer!

20180427_rust-cave-in.jpg

20180427_rust-in-frame.jpg

20180426_rust-flakes.jpg

I did some measurements and figure that the frame is between 2/3 and 1/2 of it's original thickness in spots. I don't think that's enough to get worried about and it's far from rusting through, but I am welding new brackets onto it and investing quite a bit of time and money into the frame. So rather than worry about it continuing to rust I decided I will be replacing the middle lower frame rails. Rather than a frame swap I am going to recreate that section of frame with new tubing by translating the bends, skid mounting nuts, and body mounts. The tubing is an elusive size at 2-1/2" x 4" so it might be a couple of weeks until I can get some in. I'm glad I chose to learn how to weld!

I assembled the control arms with a healthy dose of antiseize. Oddly one of the jam nuts was threaded at an angle. I'm sure it'll get exchanged no problem though!

20180428_mid-arm-control-arms-assembled.jpg

Aside from that I've just been cleaning the garage and thinking through how I'm going to support and brace the Jeep to replace those frame sections. I'm excited for Monday to talk to a few companies about getting the steel I need and getting a better picture of when it can be delivered.

I took the MetalCloak fenders off and something is clearly wrong with the metal they used for the brackets. The driver's side was super crumbly and I couldn't even get a picture of the passenger's side since it decided to return to the earth in a pile of rust as soon as I started removing it. I'm glad to be done with MetalCloak's fenders. Looks like I'll need to touch up the paint where they met the grill and tub.

20180429_fenders-removed.jpg

20180430_passenger-fender-removed.jpg

20180429_metalcloak-fender-rust.jpg

My steel came in yesterday, less than a week after ordering it!

20180507_jeep-frame-steel-tubing.jpg

(The 2.5"x4" for the frame is on the bottom under the 2x3.)

Overall the process went very smoothly between the steel yard and the freight. I will not hesitate to buy from them again in the future if I need bulk as it was cheaper and way less driving for me compared to my local steel yard 3 hours away.

I took the MetalCloak fenders off and something is clearly wrong with the metal they used for the brackets. The driver's side was super crumbly and I couldn't even get a picture of the passenger's side since it decided to return to the earth in a pile of rust as soon as I started removing it. I'm glad to be done with MetalCloak's fenders. Looks like I'll need to touch up the paint where they met the grill and tub.

View attachment 40735

View attachment 40736

View attachment 40737
Love the Jenga frame supports!

Love the Jenga frame supports!

Thanks! They're just as unstable as they look. :eek:

Thankfully I have a 12 ton jack stand at each corner. The wood is to help prevent any sag in the center. I'll be using them a lot more here soon when replacing the frame rails.

Thanks! They're just as unstable as they look. :eek:

Thankfully I have a 12 ton jack stand at each corner. The wood is to help prevent any sag in the center. I'll be using them a lot more here soon when replacing the frame rails.

lol, thank god, I cringed when I seen that wood!

Reactions: Jon Wildes
There's been some delay as I've been practicing my welds and stress testing to verify my welds are stronger than the surrounding material.

I did make a few fish plates today out of 3/16" that are worth showing:

20180519_fishplate1.jpg

20180519_fishplate2.jpg

Disclaimer: Like all Jeep work, you're taking your own risks. Don't copy my frame repairs under the assumption that it's safe or proper. Do you own homework before working on your Jeep. This is how I did it — nothing more. There's many ways to safely weld the frame. I did numerous stress tests on test welds before working on the frame and in each case the metal fatigued before my welds failed.

That disclaimer said, I encourage you to learn, be uncomfortable, and try stuff. I never thought I would be cutting my Jeep in half and yet it's the most frustrating and enjoyable work I've done on it yet!

—-

After using a laser level to level my frame and taking numerous measurements, I cut the frame at the rear right before it turns up, and at the front splitting the difference of where the mid-arm bracket will be going. This way the mid-arm bracket will act as a reinforcement and I won't need additional fish plating at that cut. When I cut there was some force release and the frame shifted by about 1/2" — something for me to keep in mind later.

20180512_passenger-lower-frame-rail-removed.jpg

You can see here how the frames like to rust from the inside out. My frame measured 0.075" at the bottom in the rear — less than half of the original thickness. I'm glad I decided to go through the extra work of replacing these frame rails!

20180512_cross-section-rotting-frame.jpg

This frame is only a 2004 and has 83k miles on it.

I've cut a few motorcycle frames and had them spring out of place, I think its pretty common for just about any frame to be under some tension. Always a good idea to weld in a temp brace when cutting any frame.

I've cut a few motorcycle frames and had them spring out of place, I think its pretty common for just about any frame to be under some tension. Always a good idea to weld in a temp brace when cutting any frame.

Interesting. I'm sure offroading over the last 14 years hasn't helped any either. I did add a cross brace before and behind the area I cut so I think the part under tension may have been the piece I removed. The angle of it also changed from 9* to 8.6* after cutting it out.

The passenger side is in and looking great! I lowered the body and marked for the body mounts. I need to wait to weld them on until after I can get the mid-arm brackets welded on since they will index on them (waiting on doing the driver's side to remove the bracing that is in the way).

20180528_passenger-framerail-replaced.jpg

Now that I know what I'm doing, as I work through the driver's side I will show how I did everything and the improvements to Jeep's design that were made.

I started in on the driver's side last night! I re-leveled the Jeep to be sure everything was stable again after moving the body around, and marked spots along the frame where the laser level hit.

The Savvy mid-arm frame side brackets come in 2 versions: TJ and LJ. The only difference that I can see is the front driver's side control arm bracket. The TJ version creates a full C to go around the frame, and the LJ version is a L to leave space for the extra frame stiffener plate that comes on the LJs. This is the one area of the mid-arm design that I think could cause some issues in wet climates since it is impossible to weld a 2" section of the mid-arm bracket which could allow water to intrude between the bracket and the frame. Brazing that spot or a thick coat of paint may work.

To mitigate that potential issue I decided to remove the extra LJ frame stiffener and modify the mid-arm bracket to be similar to the TJ version. Nobody seems to understand why Jeep put that brace there and there are plenty of high horse power built Jeeps out there that do not have failure in that area. I will probably either leave it off or add some sort of fish plating for peace of mind. Either way this allows me to weld all the way around and seal up the area.

I used a cut off wheel and air chisel to get the the plate off.

20180530_removing-lj-frame-brace.jpg

Only a little rust between the plates.

20180530_frame-brace-removed.jpg

I marked all the way around where I'd be cutting the old lower frame rail off.

20180530_lines-cutting.jpg

The driver's side is nowhere near as bad as the passenger's side. If I had known, I probably would have left it. Oh well, at least they'll match now.

20180530_drivers-side-frame-crosscut.jpg