High travel, high clearance & high octane, a streetable adventure LJ story

WOW, first off I want that shop. I need to do the same to my garage. If I would get it insulated I could work on stuff during the winter.

You have done some awesome work on your Jeep so far. I wish I had the skill to do some of that. I really enjoy you listing all the parts and part # also so it can be looked up. You have given me some ideas on things I can change or try on my TJ when I start to work on it. I've really enjoyed reading your build so far.

I know you have your rear license plate mounted already but have you seen this by Warrior Products?
I have one on my TJ and have been happy with it so far.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/12526_1X_PG.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: jjvw
I know you have your rear license plate mounted already but have you seen this by Warrior Products?

I just bend my license plates around the body like that and then stick it to the body/armor with outdoor 3M tape. No screws, no bolts, nothing to get hooked and break on the trail. Just clean. I do the same on the front too.

Reactions: Rickyd
WOW, first off I want that shop. I need to do the same to my garage. If I would get it insulated I could work on stuff during the winter.

You have done some awesome work on your Jeep so far. I wish I had the skill to do some of that. I really enjoy you listing all the parts and part # also so it can be looked up. You have given me some ideas on things I can change or try on my TJ when I start to work on it. I've really enjoyed reading your build so far.

A heated workshop has been life changing this year. If you can keep your garage heated 24/7 the high efficiency furnace is way quieter than a hot dog style heater. Even if I'm the only one in there it's nice to be able to listen to music or hear my own thoughts. The entire workshop has held up great this winter and it's been a brutal one. The condensate drain has worked great too and I'm thankful I was able to leave it while I was driving across the country and not worry about emptying buckets.

I'm glad you're enjoying my build. If you haven't already, you should start a build thread to show off your ideas!

I have seen that license plate mount. I decided against it and go with the basic wrap since it'll survive better when it gets snagged by trees and rocks. I probably will be revisiting the rear in the future to add in better backup lights... I don't want it to look cluttered though.

A heated workshop has been life changing this year. If you can keep your garage heated 24/7 the high efficiency furnace is way quieter than a hot dog style heater. Even if I'm the only one in there it's nice to be able to listen to music or hear my own thoughts. The entire workshop has held up great this winter and it's been a brutal one. The condensate drain has worked great too and I'm thankful I was able to leave it while I was driving across the country and not worry about emptying buckets.

I'm glad you're enjoying my build. If you haven't already, you should start a build thread to show off your ideas!

I have seen that license plate mount. I decided against it and go with the basic wrap since it'll survive better when it gets snagged by trees and rocks. I probably will be revisiting the rear in the future to add in better backup lights... I don't want it to look cluttered though.
You almost don't notice them.

You almost don't notice them. View attachment 83014

How did you know I was admiring those? I cut myself into a bit of a corner on my corner guards and wasn't fully thinking when I copied the existing tail light holes over. I like the round taillights but the backup lights are bad (I tested them out the other night). My tailgate is a single piece of aluminum so I can't add wiring into it like you did, and I don't see a purpose in installing the stock tailgate again, so the license plate is probably going to stay in the lower corner. To continue with the flush look I've been eyeing Rigid's backup light kit and could place a thin "patch plate" over the circle hole.

https://www.rigidindustries.com/sr-m-series-pro-backup-kit-bu-sr-m-series.html I might need to shave these a fraction of an inch narrower but it looks like they'll fit to the inside of the taillights (where the current backup lights sit).

Any ideas? I'm open to harsh opinions too.

Here's how it currently sits:

And... this is why it's taking so long to get the steering done... Lol.

Reactions: TJ Starting
@mrblaine have any of you guys out there played around with backup and front cameras for offroad? I can't decide if it'd be useful or dumb.

I found my OEM transfercase plugs and replaced them yesterday. So far no leaking! This is going to be the end of the sight glass mod, I see no purpose in it.

The rollcage padding is back on. I am washing the covers and need to figure out how to modify them to work. I'm thinking I'll need to sew a couple more zippers into it.

Reactions: TJ Starting

Here is the start to my build thread. I have to wait for it to warm up enough to be out there working right now. But it is suppose to be in the low 50*'s here this week so I should be able to start getting a little done.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/wildmans-tj-is-getting-a-face-lift.19356/
@mrblaine have any of you guys out there played around with backup and front cameras for offroad? I can't decide if it'd be useful or dumb.

I ran with a guy who had them on his Toyota. Really liked the front one for being able to see stuff. I can't say how well it worked but he wasn't paying attention to where he was going one day and he layed it on it's side on a flat part of the trail. Wouldn't ever admit to watching the video instead of the trail though.

IMG00098.jpg

IMG00120.jpg

I swung by the local seamstress to get the roll cage padding covers modified. She wasn't confident that her poly string will hold up but I figure the padding is such a low wear area that if the string holds up on pants and shirts it'd hold up the padding. Time will tell. She'll be shortening the padding on the A to B pillar bars and adding a zipper and velcro to the B pillar spreader.

20190319_padding-fitment.jpg

20190319_seamstress.jpg

The windshield frame is painted and while I had the paint out I touched up a few other spots.

20190320_windshield-frame-painted.jpg

20190320_touching-up-paint.jpg

I also wiped down the interior of the Jeep and washed the seats again since some fiberglass got on them while welding the cage. Once they dry out I'll be covering the interior since I am done in there for a while.

For the khaki TJ I am putting on rear bumper braces to help spread the load from the rear shackles into the frame. So I decided to do an A/B test on paint to see which holds up better.

20190320_ab-paint-test.jpg

Reactions: Wildman
The windshield frame is back in place. Once the build is done I will have somebody replace the glass. I used Honda Shin-Etsu grease on the weather seal.

20190322_shin-etsu-grease.jpg

The steering was a big pain. It's consists of a bunch of trial and error. You move one thing and you must adjust everything else, and then do an alignment.

I finally dialed in the steering gear to steering stop ratio I previously had mentioned I was working on late last year. The more perfect it is the less wear you'll have on rod ends, ball joints, and links. As I started to get it more dialed in I kept working towards finalizing more parts and firming them up with more welds and more finished of a design. Once everything starts getting firm with less play the ratio needed to be changed again slightly.

I am running 1/8" of toe-out and about 6.5* of caster.

At this point, I can stick a business card behind the physical steering stops on the knuckles and hold it in place with the steering wheel. As soon as the steering wheel is backed off at all, the card drops.

This is the mocked up pitman arm I made. I would not drive on it aside from a couple of feet in a straight line across the yard or onto a trailer. Once I have a final pitman arm made I can still adjust and correct the plate on the knuckle slightly if it changes my ratio at all.

20190330_pitman-arm-mockup.jpg

I clearanced the motor mount for the UCA and notched the frame for the drag link and track bar. This is where the plasma comes in handy! When I pull the axle out later to finalize and paint it I will also plate these areas.

20190324_frame-notch.jpg

It's nice to see that the frame is solid with no rust since I reused this section of frame.

The lower radiator hose had to be moved out of the way of the UCA. This was simply done by rotating it.

20190329_lower-radiator-hose.jpg

There is 6.5" of up travel in the front. The limitation is the 37" tires on the highline fenders:

20190329_tire-fender-65.jpg

There's not many exact measurements that I can give that would be helpful here. It comes down to following the philosophy and guidelines. What's probably more helpful is looking through the detailed pictures. Once I pull the axle for final welding I will also be replacing some of the mockup brackets I used for final bracketry.

The track bar and drag link are parallel:

20190331_linkages-side.jpg

The track bar is at the same angle as the drag link for no bump steer:
20190331_linkages-front.jpg

The UCA bolt had to be flipped to stay off the AC pump:
20190329_UCA.jpg

The frame side track bar backet is angled off the frame to keep the heim joint straight at ride height:
20190401_track-bar-mount-frame.jpg

The 3/4" 8" bolts are the perfect length for the steering arms:
20190323_cross-over-steering-knuckle.jpg

20190328_top-down.jpg

Reactions: tworley and Alex01
Wow that is some really nice work. I understand some of it but some is beyond me so I'm glad you know what you are doing.

Wow that is some really nice work. I understand some of it but some is beyond me so I'm glad you know what you are doing.

Thank you! It's one of those things that makes a lot more sense once you actually start digging into it since you can actually see how each part interacts with each other and the paths they travel.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Here's how it currently sits:

img_20190318_122432-jpg.jpg

I played around with a few backup light ideas:

3x2

3x3 Midnight

3x3

The corners will be painted red. I'm leaning toward one of the 3x3s. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I like 3x3. The black one in the photo withb the painted red corners looks good.

I like the smoked lens over the white lens but that is because I like the smoked look more.

Looks Great man, A dumb question about the Honda grease on the windshield seal, how and why?

I've previously used it to rejuvenate my door seals. I figured it would have the same effect with this seal. I applied it by rubbing it on with a gloved hand and wiping off the extra.

Reactions: oldjeepman