Higher horses, higher revs & even higher torque, a streetable LJ engine swap

how much room between the skid and the oil pan?
i dig the 3/8" material for the attachment leg but it'll flex when the weigh of a jeep hits that plate.
a fin over the back under the belly or along the sides might aid that.

how much room between the skid and the oil pan?
i dig the 3/8" material for the attachment leg but it'll flex when the weigh of a jeep hits that plate.
a fin over the back under the belly or along the sides might aid that.

Not as much room as I would have liked — slightly more than 1/4". I would have liked closer to 1/2" between the skid and pans but I didn't want to give up the ground clearance. To compensate I used a slightly thicker than necessary 7/16" skid material in the stronger 7075-T6 vs cheaper 6061-T6. The skid will deflect by design, if I used a stiffener rib it would permanently bend.

If I do find that there's more skid to pan contact than I'd like, I can always shim the skid down another 1/4" in an afternoon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indy
Not as much room as I would have liked — slightly more than 1/4". I would have liked closer to 1/2" between the skid and pans but I didn't want to give up the ground clearance. To compensate I used a slightly thicker than necessary 7/16" skid material in the stronger 7075-T6 vs cheaper 6061-T6. The skid will deflect by design, if I used a stiffener rib it would permanently bend.

If I do find that there's more skid to pan contact than I'd like, I can always shim the skid down another 1/4" in an afternoon.
the plates are good........... it's that 3/8" flat bar hanger that's gonna flex b4 those plates do.

toxi's skid hanger.PNG

the plates are good........... it's that 3/8" flat bar hanger that's gonna flex b4 those plates do.

View attachment 258385

I see what you're saying. Some flex there will actually be okay as long as it doesn't permanently deform.

I tested lifting the Jeep by the engine skid and it seems like it'll be okay, but it's hard to simulate the Jeep falling on it.

Reactions: someguysjeep
Are you able the remove #8 spark plug?
I'm not sure I understand your question.

Oh, you mean with everything installed? Maintenance is going to be a chore. But thankfully spark plugs are a once every 100,000 miles maintenance item.

Last edited:
Any room to bring the battery up and turn it?

Not with any battery sized for the task. Remember, I have highline fenders that nearly hug the exhaust manifolds. Lithium batteries are interesting but they require a more complex charging circuit (also taking up space) and don't operate in very cold weather.

Give any thought to moving the dryer? That’s what I wound up doing.

Good idea on the reverse lug battery, though.

Reactions: toximus
Just seeing this build now. Very cool and nice work. You will love the V8. It is so funny to see peoples faces on the street when you pull of the line in an LJ with a V8 :)

Just seeing this build now. Very cool and nice work. You will love the V8. It is so funny to see peoples faces on the street when you pull of the line in an LJ with a V8 :)
Definitely. And the best thing is when they ask “Hey, dat ting gotta Hemi?”

Oh, sorry Tox...

🙂

• Haha
Reactions: LieutenantJohnson
Yup, funny how you now have plenty for room for the bell housing, but no room for the heads….

Yup, funny how you now have plenty for room for the bell housing, but no room for the heads….

It also bugs me that the left side (driver's side) has an indent for the 4.0 which would probably make the LS fit perfectly if only it was on the OTHER side! My OCD wants a mirror image stamped firewall.