Higher horses, higher revs & even higher torque, a streetable LJ engine swap

Welding stuff in place:

20210609_welded-skids-and-motor-mounts.jpg

2 months and no updates... ...Yeah I know... ugh...so it's been a terrible 2 months for me... Let me explain.

In late June I started getting sick and then ended up very sick in July. By the end of July I finally let @Mrs Tox take me to the doctor and within minutes of entering the building I was promptly rushed to ICU via helicopter. Fun times. And then my heart stopped beating 2 days later, thankfully while still in ICU... Basically, if I had kept refusing to go to the doctor for another 2 days I 100% would be dead. Over a week in the ICU later I was sent home with my heart still doing weird things that at least wouldn't kill me.

It turns out that a nasty little tick bit me and I got lyme disease. Specifically "lyme carditis" causing complete heart block.

I'm expected to have a full recovery with no long term dependency on meds or pacemaker or anything, but I have a 6 month expected recovery time to be back to normal life. It feels stupid to admit it, but I'm learning to walk again and I'm not allowed to drive or use machinery (such as an angle grinder :( ) for at least another 6 weeks until a doctor gives me back my driver's license. I've thought about doing trails (where a license isn't required) in my wife's Jeep or buying a UTV since off roading has been running so thick in my blood but I just don't have the energy for it — especially if I need to get out and winch. Having been healthy my entire life — and having built our entire lifestyle around that — and only being to the doctor a handful of times, it's been a lot to realize how "lame" I am right now.

All that said, we've been staying positive throughout the entire ordeal and finding new ways to have fun.

Anyway, I have a couple of engine swap updates with pictures on tap from June that I'll be posting, but it likely won't be for another few months until I'm making progress on the swap again.

just the other day i looked for your other post, thinkin it's been some time since we heard from you.

and that sucks. we wish you a full fast recovery. the jeep will be there when your ready............... take your time and get right.

it's been a bad yr for ticks in the NE
most yrs we never see any unless your out in the woods turkey huntin, but i've found several on the dogs this summer and on myself after mowing the maintained yard in the middle of the city.

take it easy and get yourself well.

Deep Woods Off works well to keep ticks of you. and don't let the dogs run the possums off, they eat ticks.

Its been a TERRIBLE year for ticks. Buddy of mine got bit too, but he caught it right away. I've found a few on me and the dogs too. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Lyme's disease is no joke. Glad you caught it and will suffer no long term effects. In the grand scheme of things, 6 months of recovery isn't all that bad.

just the other day i looked for your other post, thinkin it's been some time since we heard from you.

and that sucks. we wish you a full fast recovery. the jeep will be there when your ready............... take your time and get right.

it's been a bad yr for ticks in the NE
most yrs we never see any unless your out in the woods turkey huntin, but i've found several on the dogs this summer and on myself after mowing the maintained yard in the middle of the city.

take it easy and get yourself well.

Deep Woods Off works well to keep ticks of you. and don't let the dogs run the possums off, they eat ticks.

Thanks!

I must have got the tick just walking around my yard/forest. I always check for ticks but must have missed one.

An interesting note is that my infectious disease doctor said that due to my case severity I'll very likely be immune in the future. But even still ticks suck.

Its been a TERRIBLE year for ticks. Buddy of mine got bit too, but he caught it right away. I've found a few on me and the dogs too. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Lyme's disease is no joke. Glad you caught it and will suffer no long term effects. In the grand scheme of things, 6 months of recovery isn't all that bad.

I've been thankful for my current condition for sure. There's certainly worse things that could have happened to me with worse outcomes.

Do you treat your dogs with anti-tick meds? I'd have to check what it's called, but it's given once a month and after the ticks bite they die and fall off. Kind of nasty sounding if you're into natural things, but probably way better than the dogs bringing ticks into the house.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I've been thankful for my current condition for sure. There's certainly worse things that could have happened to me with worse outcomes.

Do you treat your dogs with anti-tick meds? I'd have to check what it's called, but it's given once a month and after the ticks bite they die and fall off. Kind of nasty sounding if you're into natural things, but probably way better than the dogs bringing ticks into the house.
We do. Frontline once a month. We had a scare with one of our dogs a couple years ago. We found a tick on him, no idea how long it has been there. At his annual, the found Lyme disease markers in his blood test... So we had to have another test to confirm. Thankfully it was negative, but too close for comfort. Now both dogs get it religiously. They can still bring em into the house though... And we still check em to make sure we don't have to put the drugs to the test!

Last edited:
Glad you're on the mend. Ticks are no joke! Had one latch on to me earlier this year. Ended up going to the doctor to make sure I got it all off. Sent it to Vector control to test for Lime disease. Thankfully it came back negative. Dog is on Nexguard once a month, but they can sneak in if you're not paying attention.

bummer, @toximus, but glad you are on the mend, I enjoy reading your thought process as you are building your Jeep...

Any updates here? You hanging in there?
Hanging in there and starting to walk further and further. I'm feeling well enough to drive again so hoping I get cleared at my next appointment. Still no work on my Jeeps yet as I figure if I should probably be considered safe to drive before I whack a finger off with the angle grinder.

Mrs Tox and I have been planning out the next few years of trips and sights on maps and overall dreaming of what could be.

Hey Tox - I hope all is going well.

Question: When you built your new rear driveshaft, I seem to recall you going with a larger tube. Is that the case? And if so what did you go with?