Highest Clearance Skid Plate for Wrangler TJ?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I'm in the process of putting together everything I need for a tummy tuck.

I'm trying to determine what the highest clearance skid plate (and who makes it) I can use for my 1.25" body lift without having to bang the crap out of the tunnel.

Any input would be appreciated! Just want the highest clearance possible.

UCF (Under Cover Fab) makes one that is 0.5" from the frame rails called the UHC or Ultra High Clearance skid. The also offer a Lo-pro transmission mount that keeps driveline angles to a minimum.
Although I'd do some research. There have been some issues with fitment with the later model auto transmissions. But ultimately, the only way to get any higher is to do the work yourself with a crossmember and some aluminum or steel and get it flat with the frame.

Reactions: Chris
Savvy hangs down 1 3/8 at the rear and 2" at the front. Its the most problem free skid you can get besides nth° for a rubicon.

If you use rokmen or ucf under a rubicon, youll need a 3" drop along with a 1" body lift and body massaging.

Thanks to both of you... I had heard that Savvy was the best option for the Rubicon (which has a much larger transfer case than the non-Rubicon models).

I need to make a sticky with all the skid plate options and their clearances they provide.

Reactions: PStov98TJ
Mail Crawler on JeepForum has a great tummy tuck with a Flat Steel Plate for a skid plate.
Best tummy tuck I've seen.

Interesting, he must have a large body lift or else he's modified the tunnel quite a bit to get the transfer case up in there that well.

not sure. looking for his build right now.

This is a start....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/mail-crawler-build-2397081/

page 13...

best part might be the handle ... mail crawler ... it is right hand drive.

image-1031892535.jpg

Last edited:
Might be able to pull that off with a 2" body lift and some modifications to the trans tunnel or you could always go with a 1.5" BL and get a UCF High Clearance Skid with a LoPro Mount which would hang down just 1" from the frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just reading thru the thread, along with the custom transmission/transfer case mount there is a 1" motor mount lift and a 1.25" body lift. Which leaves enough clearance to mount a flat sheet of 5/8" aluminium as a skid plate.

Yeah I don't think there's any proper way around the body lift and motor mount lift.

Just reading thru the thread, along with the custom transmission/transfer case mount there is a 1" motor mount lift and a 1.25" body lift. Which leaves enough clearance to mount a flat sheet of 5/8" aluminium as a skid plate.
With a 1.25" BL and a 1" MML the most you can tuck without modifying the trans tunnel is 2" if you're willing to mod the trans tunnel then you can tuck 3".

Keep in mind because you're moving the trans closer to the metal the trans is gonna get hotter and the metal by your feet will get very hot as well. I had to buy some mats because I couldn't drive barefoot it got so hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tranny gets hot? Maybe the exhaust but the tranny? I've never paid attention but I've never even felt heat off my tranny. But yes the exhaust regularly reminds me how hot it gets.