Highline and 4” lift

Dave Kishpaugh at Jeep West does a high line using stock fenders.

View attachment 104857

I enjoy seeing projects David is working on. I have debated this even through the extensive fender fab to ensure not to crease the curvature of the headlight area. My only complaint and hold up is the ugly gap left behind by the short fender flares. To me it looks a little incomplete.

Reactions: Gollywomper
How much up and overall travel do you have now? What are you going for if you do highlines? I'm thinking about these things too.

Reactions: mattcogdell
Function and appearance is what I’m aiming for. In the current state, the Jeep wants more backspace and room for uptravel. When the front end gets twisted up and I’m cutting the tire left or right hard I am getting fender contact along with the tire rubbing something else up front.

The underlying need/want is I’ve began laying out a plan to outboard the rear and have the front towers modified to run a longer shock. I wouldn’t consider this with factory fenders and 35s. The Jeep does everything I need but looking to improve the small things off road. I want to achieve this in steps and along with going in the correct direction.

How much up and overall travel do you have now? What are you going for if you do highlines? I'm thinking about these things too.
I cannot answer that at this time as I have not measured without springs on the Jeep. With it sitting fairly level in the drive way I believe I measured the exposed shaft in the front at roughly 5-1/2". I maybe completely wrong but that number is what sticks out when I think about it. I was curious the last time I took the jeep out and put a zip tie at the base of the the shaft (top of the shock body). Periodically I would check to see where in the range of travel the zip tie was. For the majority of the day it stayed near the upper range of travel. I do not remember at what point it was during the day but when I checked again the zip tie was all the way at the top of the shaft.

Reactions: jjvw
Man that thing looks good! That second pic with the argent color wheels on silver look so good together!
Naw it's better looking in a TJ. I hope you got some photo for ROTM there.

This is the reason for trying to find a balance. If it had wide axles and big tires I’d be more inclined to.
I actually narrowed my HighLine fenders a went 33x10.50 tires on stock 7" rims. Not sure why everyone goes wider.

DSC_0043.jpeg

I went with GenRight fenders, I originally ordered the steel front fenders. Once they arrived and I picked one up it holly shit these things are HEAVY, so they got returned and ordered the alum ones. So on went the fronts, once you get past making that first cut is all in. I had mine painted to match, but I have seen guys leave them the original alum color and they look fine. After installing the fronts I was not happy with the look of the rear of the jeep. So next came the rears fenders and corners all alum. If I was to change anything I would have ordered GenRight sliders as they work better with there fenders. The GenRight sliders go all the way to the rear wheel well opening as the PS sliders that I had installed stop at the plastic flares so we had to fab a small piece of alum to fill in the space. Now its very hard to tell it was just one unexpected step.

IMG_0936_zps3dc9adac.JPG

1_zps5f5359d7.JPG

cor4_zps9c32671c.JPG

cor2_zpsc434f352.JPG

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1977 (1).jpg

IMG_3478.jpg

IMG_3480.jpg

IMG_3483.jpg

The reason for highlines is to fit even bigger tires or get clearance with less lift.

But I like the highline because it moves the rear of the front wheel well opening back about 3".

Reactions: TJ Starting