Hit 1.5 quarts on 231 transfer case, should I keep going?

Boboddy

Supporting Member
Simple question.

Changing out the transfer case fluid on my 2001 TJ. The capacities chart says 1.1 QT. I put in 1.1 and it didn't feel full at all. Put in 1.5 QT. And it still isn't dripping out the fill hole.

Just leave it or should I keep filling until it dribbles out?

Apparently from a better source than you.:rolleyes:
231 - 1.1 quarts ATF +4
241 - 2.1 quarts ATF+4

I dont know where thats coming from...
The 231 can hold 2 quarts. You may or may not run out the hole at two quarts but that's it's approximate (within a few ounces plus or minus)

Again though...
Pinky in...feel fluid...it's got enough.

Replace plug...

Go wheeling

Reactions: bromel
I agree they do occasionally have mistakes ..... and that is the reason why I added what JB said above....
Just fill until it dribbles out....
This isn't directed at you specifically but it makes me chuckle the stressing and fretting going on with stuff like a fill level.
Differentials, t-cases, manual trannies,
If you can feel it with the pinky you're absolutely positively good to go.

Speaking of FSM misprints...

NP231.jpg

Here's the snapshot from my 95 FSM. Not sure of the difference between a NP231 in an auto vs manual trans, other than a different input shaft length - which certainly doesn't account for +1.05 pints of ATF. That said, the 3.25 pts (~1.63 qts) has been damn close to dribbling out for most of my NP231s (all of which were modded with SYE's, so I assumed any variation in volume was due to that).

Like what @Rubicon88 said, if you can feel the level with your pinky, you're GTG. I typically add enough fluid to a housing, t-case, trans, etc until it dribbles out but during my periodic fluid checks (like before a run), I use the 'pinky dipstick'. If it wets the tip, it's fine...

and

Reactions: Rubicon88
When I went to change the np231 fluid a few weeks back it took only a quart. Not sure why there seems to be a variance.

Speaking of FSM misprints...

View attachment 259851

Here's the snapshot from my 95 FSM. Not sure of the difference between a NP231 in an auto vs manual trans, other than a different input shaft length - which certainly doesn't account for +1.05 pints of ATF. That said, the 3.25 pts (~1.63 qts) has been damn close to dribbling out for most of my NP231s (all of which were modded with SYE's, so I assumed any variation in volume was due to that).

Like what @Rubicon88 said, if you can feel the level with your pinky, you're GTG. I typically add enough fluid to a housing, t-case, trans, etc until it dribbles out but during my periodic fluid checks (like before a run), I use the 'pinky dipstick'. If it wets the tip, it's fine...

and
Yep...

Moreover none of this stuff is ounce precise.
Look at the dipstick on your engine. The very most vital piece of your drivetrain.
You've got a good range and a no-go range.
Anywhere in the xxx's or between the dots is perfectly satisfactory yet most people will stress and worry to get that thing to very top of the absolute full line.

Reactions: pc1p
Yep...

Moreover none of this stuff is ounce precise.
Look at the dipstick on your engine. The very most vital piece of your drivetrain.
You've got a good range and a no-go range.
Anywhere in the xxx's or between the dots is perfectly satisfactory yet most people will stress and worry to get that thing to very top of the absolute full line.
My old man was an ASE Master Tech for years and eventually ran the Service Dept at a local Hyundai dealer...

I used to help him out on Saturdays (it was flat rate, so I would prep the cars for inspection and he'd come through and fill out the book), and it would still take all my fingers and a number of toes to count the number of times people would call or come back to the dealer complaining that the "oil wasn't filled up all the way" from an oil change earlier in the week.

I would put the obligatory 1/2 quart in and send them on their way. There was no reasoning with these type of folk, so it was faster and easier to just let them be ignorant and happy :ROFLMAO:

My old man was an ASE Master Tech for years and eventually ran the Service Dept at a local Hyundai dealer...

I used to help him out on Saturdays (it was flat rate, so I would prep the cars for inspection and he'd come through and fill out the book), and it would still take all my fingers and a number of toes to count the number of times people would call or come back to the dealer complaining that the "oil wasn't filled up all the way" from an oil change earlier in the week.

I would put the obligatory 1/2 quart in and send them on their way. There was no reasoning with these type of folk, so it was faster and easier to just let them be ignorant and happy :ROFLMAO:
Yeah you know it alright. The customer knows everything...
It's even worse present day let me tell ya...
These fuckers with the devices are now doing self diagnosis via google which makes them twice as ignorant.
They come in wanting you to be the hero but they'll tell you exactly what is wrong and needs done. 🙄🙄🙄

"A friend told me it's probably this"

Yep...
that good friend alright.... Google.