Hitch mounted cargo carrier?

Yes they work well to free up space inside. The bag is a must even for dry conditions just to keep the road grime off your stuff.

One issue to think about is clearing your spare tire. Mine is mounted on a carrier, so I had to get a cargo carrier that was designed to fold up so that the neck was long enough to clear the spare and get to the hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one on the back of my Samurai. I modified it so it sits up higher so when off roading it's not dragging on Creek crossings or dips in the road. Yeah, can't open the tailgate with it on, but I don't open the tailgate much anyways. Then I added an anti rattle bracket on the hitch so I don't have to listen to it rattle back there. I hate rattle and squeaks.
IMG_20170807_155040357_HDR.jpg

I have one on the back of my Samurai.
Ok, so which one is that? One of my biggest issues with hitch carriers are that they all seem to be 48-50" wide (they are just too wide imo), yours looks like a rare 36"er. Where did you find one?

I also have a Yakima roof box so i'm all set for cargo, I was just curious cause before I got it, all I wanted was a compact hitch rack like yours.

Ok, so which one is that? One of my biggest issues with hitch carriers are that they all seem to be 48-50" wide (they are just too wide imo), yours looks like a rare 36"er. Where did you find one?

I also have a Yakima roof box so i'm all set for cargo, I was just curious cause before I got it, all I wanted was a compact hitch rack like yours.
I found it on Craig'slist. It came off a Jeep. It was a rack that went above the spare tire and mounted on the tail gate that also held two gas cans. Craigslist for $25.

Reactions: EJD
I gotta get one now. This could solve my storage problems :) I'll just have to do a little more research to find the right carrier.

I got a Rola. A little on the pricey side, but powder coated and has optional lights, accessories....

I believe fewer people would run hitch-mounted carriers if they followed their own Jeep around for a while when its carrier is fully loaded. They'd see how the load will start the carrier twisting/rotating/flexing around its draw bar which is its sole attachment point. I was behind one just a week or two ago and it was twisting/rotating so badly that I almost waved the driver over thinking it looked close to failure.

If I was faced with a decision whether to load up a carrier with what I couldn't get inside the Jeep vs. figuring out what I could leave at home, I'd leave what couldn't fit inside at home. Or buy an LJ if my TJ ever shrank to the point it couldn't carry the necessities. :).

I believe fewer people would run hitch-mounted carriers if they followed their own Jeep around for a while when its carrier is fully loaded. They'd see how the load will start the carrier twisting/rotating/flexing around its draw bar which is its sole attachment point. I was behind one just a week or two ago and it was twisting/rotating so badly that I almost waved the driver over thinking it looked close to failure.

If I was faced with a decision whether to load up a carrier with what I couldn't get inside the Jeep vs. figuring out what I could leave at home, I'd leave what couldn't fit inside at home. Or buy an LJ if my TJ ever shrank to the point it couldn't carry the necessities. :).
I re-drilled the hitch pin hole as well as moved it closer in. I also added an anti rattle bolt so now the rack is solid, no movement side to side or up and down. Not sure I'd want to wheel it through the Rubicon but for loading up the ice chest and some other stuff for a trip to the mountains, it works great.

Which is exactly why I built my trailer.

I re-drilled the hitch pin hole as well as moved it closer in. I also added an anti rattle bolt so now the rack is solid, no movement side to side or up and down. Not sure I'd want to wheel it through the Rubicon but for loading up the ice chest and some other stuff for a trip to the mountains, it works great.
The one I have came with a sleeve and a 1/2" bolt that when tightened firms up the fit. As you say ... no rattle, no movement and nice and solid.