Hmmm there is a limit on where should a lightbar go lol

Around here you'll see them on everything, including Civics. Most are mounted down low, where they're actually usable on the street.

I give them a pass tho, as it gets really dark around here at night.

I don't like light bars unless they are mounted flush with the front of the bumper..... I like a clean look.

Screenshot_20181122-231244~2.png

I'm sure eventually law enforcement will start hammering light bars. The basic lighting law states "No lights are permitted higher than the headlights". Hence the roof lights on the Liberty came with covers. And at one time so did a pillar lights. Enough people start complaining about being blinded and the county mounties will find and enforce that law.

I would love to have extra light when out in the desert, but I am too cheap to buy good lights. I would like one on the back to keep the tailgaters off of my ass. One flash of the blinding light, burning their eyes into the backs of their head will teach 'em

I was camped in a desert canyon near Calico Ghost Town in SoCal late afternoon recently. I had to laugh at what I saw creeping up the smooth dirt road I was camped just off... 5-6 fully decked out shiny fully spiffed out Wranglers. All were in 4Lo creeping like they're rock crawling, and all had their LED light bars blazing. It wasn't dark yet, they apparently just couldn't wait to shift into 4Lo and turn their light bars on. I should have gotten a picture lol.

This is about the time of day when they cruised by with their LED light bars blazing. :D

TentTrailerInDoranCanyon.jpg

Last edited:
I was camped in a desert canyon near Calico Ghost Town in SoCal late afternoon recently. I had to laugh at what I saw creeping up the smooth dirt road I was camped just off... 5-6 fully decked out shiny fully spiffed out Wranglers. All were in 4Lo creeping like they're rock crawling, and all had their LED light bars blazing. It wasn't dark yet, they apparently just couldn't wait to shift into 4Lo and turn their light bars on. I should have gotten a picture lol.

This is about the time of day when they cruised by with their LED lights blazing. :D

View attachment 74904
Awww c'mon @Jerry Bransford they probably hadn't used their 4Lo since they parked their Wranglers on their manicured front lawns haha

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Why do people care so much about these light bars? I don't really see the big deal with them. I have them and like them, great light, low draw and can be bought cheap. I live out in the country where deer are all over the place. In all the years I have been driving I have had 9 or 10 of them hit my vehicles, light bars are a real benefit now. It is one thing if people have light bars and use them at the wrong time or are not respectful of others but to say all light bars are useless is a stretch.
This is the same argument for just about any other thing, just insert it in the same sentence. Big tires, big lift, winch, lockers, radio, exhaust, whatever. There is a time, a place and a use for each.

I would love to have extra light when out in the desert, but I am too cheap to buy good lights. I would like one on the back to keep the tailgaters off of my ass. One flash of the blinding light, burning their eyes into the backs of their head will teach 'em
Seems easier to just let them pass you.

they dont, they will just hang there, and they will have their brights on. Low beams and turn signals have become optional in Utah lately...
Neither of our cars are powerful by any means, add in 8k of elevation, and I get passed a lot. I've found turn signal you the shoulder and slow down way below the limit and they will pass.

I drove 43 mile to work, I have had idiot drivers hang in my blind spot, pass me, then then brake check me, tailgate me, I have slowed down and they just hang there. Bright lights, cut me off, split lanes, pass me doing 100 in a 55 zone, block traffic so no on can pass for 20 miles because they forget the LAW is for slower traffic to keep right, I have seen it all. Truckers used to be courteous, not so much anymore. I give them lots of room, but I have had them pass me and change back into my lane with only half a car length between us. Bright lights, no lights, I just need to move from the suburbs to the country...