Colorado Holy Cross Aug 31 2019

I think I might bail out on Cleveland. Still gotta drive the Jeep to Wyoming and back to Illinois! Seems like that one might just be a winch fest. Considering it is a 3 day weekend, there might be some entertainment on Cleveland from other groups.

The good news is that Cleveland Rock is the end of the trail. Its totally optional. The first two photos are of Cleveland Rock. I tried it simply because we were right there, though none of us made it up it that day.

The good news is that Cleveland Rock is the end of the trail. Its totally optional. The first two photos are of Cleveland Rock. I tried it simply because we were right there.

Yup. If it was in the middle of the trail I'd try it to keep going. Since it is at the end, no need for me this to try this time. I'm confident it would turn into me winching up anyways. I've winched up enough steep things. No need to risk breaking anything.

If anything was to break, it will probably happen in French Creek. The creek is known to bend a few tie rods and is constantly changing.

Shoot, didnt even hit me that it will be labor day. Hopefully we're still up there early enough...
Go earlier? An extra hour in the morning may save us several in the afternoon as well as headaches. But then again I’m sure we’ll do our share of BSing. I’m down either way as long as work doesn’t get in the way.
Pretty excited about this one! Only hit 21RD this year, pretty sad.

When you say “body damage” are we talking tuna can or pinned strips?

How much earlier?
Leave Kum and Go right at 630. No stop in Leadville and go straight to the trailhead (minus a fuel stop).

When you say “body damage” are we talking tuna can or pinned strips?

Be prepared for both. I recall hitting rockers and rubbing against a tree

Reactions: jjvw
NEW DEPARTURE TIME:

LEAVE KUM&GO IN GOLDEN AT 630AM AND DRIVE DIRECTLY TO TRAILHEAD.

Is it a pain to drop someone off back near the trailhead? I don’t want to make @jjvw have to go too far out of his way to let me ride - so I can meet wherever isn’t a pain.

How horrendous would it be to drive from Denver to Holy Cross and back doorless? I could bring my half doors and take the uppers off at the trailhead, but that would leave me doing my road trip with tons of wind noise from them. With full doors, my only option would be leaving them at the hotel and going the whole day doorless. Hard decision :unsure:

Also if we leave any earlier, I might have to head straight to the meetup from the bar :ROFLMAO:. The earlier start will definitely be helpful once we get to the trail.

I'll do half doors for the trip too. I recall it being quite chilly on Loveland Pass. Maybe in 30s

I'm planning on being fairly warm in the morning for sure. I've learned how cold it can get at higher elevations in the morning the hard way a few times (40 degree sleeping bags don't work so well when it is 15 and snowing out ☹)

The noise might be fairly fatiguing. Never done any long periods of high-speed driving with the doors off.

How horrendous would it be to drive from Denver to Holy Cross and back doorless? I could bring my half doors and take the uppers off at the trailhead, but that would leave me doing my road trip with tons of wind noise from them. With full doors, my only option would be leaving them at the hotel and going the whole day doorless. Hard decision :unsure:

Also if we leave any earlier, I might have to head straight to the meetup from the bar :ROFLMAO:. The earlier start will definitely be helpful once we get to the trail.

I can bring a cable and lock if you want to throw the full doors in the back of my jeep at the trailhead since I am riding along (not built big enough for the trail).

Reactions: MaloStapalo