Colorado Holy Cross Aug 31 2019

I can bring a cable and lock if you want to throw the full doors in the back of my jeep at the trailhead since I am riding along (not built big enough for the trail).

Hmmm, thats actually a pretty good idea. I think I might just throw my doors in the hotel room and have more fun. I'm sure the drive to Holy Cross is pretty nice without doors. I've only been a passenger a couple times when I went skiing in CO. No doors is better if I can convince my passenger to go along with it.

We will see how it plays out. Throwing them in the back of your Jeep might be the move. Thanks!

Reactions: rasband
Hmmm, thats actually a pretty good idea. I think I might just throw my doors in the hotel room and have more fun. I'm sure the drive to Holy Cross is pretty nice without doors. I've only been a passenger a couple times when I went skiing in CO. No doors is better if I can convince my passenger to go along with it.

We will see how it plays out. Throwing them in the back of your Jeep might be the move. Thanks!

I was going to roll without doors for my drive up, but I plan to be up a day early to camp out - haven't wanted to spend the money on halfs yet vs other build related things :D

How horrendous would it be to drive from Denver to Holy Cross and back doorless? I could bring my half doors and take the uppers off at the trailhead, but that would leave me doing my road trip with tons of wind noise from them. With full doors, my only option would be leaving them at the hotel and going the whole day doorless. Hard decision :unsure:

Also if we leave any earlier, I might have to head straight to the meetup from the bar :ROFLMAO:. The earlier start will definitely be helpful once we get to the trail.
I have pulled doors at trail heads and cable locked them to large trees or metal signs or trailers plenty of times. Just a thought for you

Reactions: MaloStapalo
I may join you guys if I can get my trailer spring replaced before then. And get my ass out of bed early enough that morning. It’s a 3 hour drive for me. I like having the trailer Incase of carnage on trails that far away.

Weather forcast is clear and 66°. Friendly reminder we are leaving the Kum & Go at 0630! Plan is to arrive at the trailhead about 0830 to beat the Labor day crowd. It will be a busy trail and the sooner we can get started and ahead of others, the better

Looks like I will meet you guys at the golden Kum & Go and leave a car there. I need an alignment and figure I will push that off until I get all the parts for the ZJ upgrade (parts should be here by Friday, alignment on Tuesday - I really need to learn how to do that reliably myself) :'(

Last edited:
You could leave your jeep in the Stegosaurus Lot (a stones throw away). Ive left mine there numerous times on all day outings and feel confident it wont be messed with.

Also, do you only need to adjust your toe? Heading back over Mosquito pass (if we choose to) is a lot of fun and you would enjoy it in your jeep.

Yeah, I just looked at the 4x4xplore writeup - I can do that. Not sure why I was so intimidated before. I think steering is just something I don’t want to screw up - but given that Firestone didn’t tighten a single clamp I suppose I can do better.

• Wow
Reactions: MaloStapalo
Get it close. We can double check things at the gas station.

I still need to set my alignment and drag link before we head out.

Get it close. We can double check things at the gas station.

I still need to set my alignment and drag link before we head out.

That would be great. I don't care if my steering wheel is straight as long as the toe in is right (I can deal with the wheel later).

A quick and rough measure before a work meeting the rear is well over 1/2" wider than the front... yikes. Thanks Firestone from barely 2 weeks ago (hopefully an accidental oversight). At least it gives me the motivation to start doing it at home.

Last edited:
Be safe! Did you end up getting your armor in time?

I didn’t have time to get the surfboard installed. The steering box skid is on though. Might be able to install the surfboard tonight if I get packed up. The engine mount brackets are on right now.

I actually had to make a surprise trip to Boston. Got back yesterday night. Slowed me down a little.

A quick and rough measure before a work meeting the rear is well over 1/2" wider than the front... yikes.

You're really not far off then! Minor adjustments is all. I'll have a basic tool set and tape measure Saturday. We can get it aligned in a few minutes in the parking lot.

Packing up tonight and heading out in the morning. Hoping to get into Lincoln Nebraska tomorrow.

See y’all on Saturday!

Safe travels. NE is an incredibly boring state.

You're really not far off then! Minor adjustments is all. I'll have a basic tool set and tape measure Saturday. We can get it aligned in a few minutes in the parking lot.

Safe travels. NE is an incredibly boring state.

I went through there in April on my way back from Wyoming. Incredibly boring, but I’ve done the drive about 10 times now so I’m used to it.

In other news, I wasn’t able to get the surfboard installed but not for a lack of trying. Nothing lined up correctly even with a few trips to the bench grinder for the supports. Not sure what’s going on but I don’t have time to mess with it unfortunately.