Holy mileage batman

Boinked

TJ Expert
Ran across this video on YouTube. It appears to only log 1 of every 18 miles you drive. But allows everything else to look like normal. Damn criminals are getting high tech.

Reactions: DirtyD
There is guy near me that can "clock" almost any vehicle except the German cars. I see a bunch of used car dealers bringing in cars so he can reset the odometer. Needless to say I avoid most of the used car dealers around me.

So, here is why I would consider buying one...

It would seem that some states, including Washington state, are considering moving toward charging owners for their vehicle's tabs based on the number of miles driven in the year. "Pay by the mile", it's typically referred to as. Because, you know, the state can never get enough of your money. Being that I drive an average of 63 miles a day, I'd probably be screwed. So, yeah, I'd install one if I thought it would work. I'd also remove it from said vehicle, and inform a potential buyer that the miles are not accurate, as the odometer didn't seem to function properly for quite a spell. I'm not looking to screw a private citizen over, nor am I looking to have the state screw me over. I'm just getting sick of being taxed and/or charged for everything by the state. :mad:

Rant over...

It would seem that some states, including Washington state, are considering moving toward charging owners for their vehicle's tabs based on the number of miles driven in the year. "Pay by the mile", it's typically referred to as. Because, you know, the state can never get enough of your money. Being that I drive an average of 63 miles a day, I'd probably be screwed. So, yeah, I'd install one if I thought it would work. I'd also remove it from said vehicle, and inform a potential buyer that the miles are not accurate, as the odometer didn't seem to function properly for quite a spell. I'm not looking to screw a private citizen over, nor am I looking to have the state screw me over. I'm just getting sick of being taxed and/or charged for everything by the state. :mad:

Rant over...

Yep, I’ve heard communist Oregon talking about wanting to do the same thing. Doesn’t surprise me at all, just one more way for them to take your money. If that law were to take affect, I too would consider something like this.

Surely one would notice that they've driven over 18 miles when their odometer only says 1?

It would seem that some states, including Washington state, are considering moving toward charging owners for their vehicle's tabs based on the number of miles driven in the year. "Pay by the mile", it's typically referred to as. Because, you know, the state can never get enough of your money. Being that I drive an average of 63 miles a day, I'd probably be screwed. So, yeah, I'd install one if I thought it would work. I'd also remove it from said vehicle, and inform a potential buyer that the miles are not accurate, as the odometer didn't seem to function properly for quite a spell. I'm not looking to screw a private citizen over, nor am I looking to have the state screw me over. I'm just getting sick of being t

I know taxes are always a touchy subject, but we already pay for using our vehicles by the mile it's just that we do it via fuel taxes so it's a somewhat hidden thing that most people don't think about. Oregon currently charges 34 cents gallon of gasoline in taxes. If I averaged 20 MPG, I wish I had a vehicle that got that good a mileage, then I am paying approximately 1.7 cents per mile driven. It is my understanding that Oregon is thinking about charging 1.5 cents per mile. While it might be painful paying the bill, I think it would be refreshing to see where my tax dollars are actually being spent.

The people who really end up paying more on this pay by the mile system are not folks likes us with vehicles that get 13 MPG on a good day, but the people who drive super efficient cars like EVs and hybrids. Now how often does the crappy mileage of a modified Jeep actually work in your favor?

Reactions: Chris
I know taxes are always a touchy subject, but we already pay for using our vehicles by the mile it's just that we do it via fuel taxes so it's a somewhat hidden thing that most people don't think about. Oregon currently charges 34 cents gallon of gasoline in taxes. If I averaged 20 MPG, I wish I had a vehicle that got that good a mileage, then I am paying approximately 1.7 cents per mile driven. It is my understanding that Oregon is thinking about charging 1.5 cents per mile. While it might be painful paying the bill, I think it would be refreshing to see where my tax dollars are actually being spent.

The people who really end up paying more on this pay by the mile system are not folks likes us with vehicles that get 13 MPG on a good day, but the people who drive super efficient cars like EVs and hybrids. Now how often does the crappy mileage of a modified Jeep actually work in your favor?
The problem with it is they will add this "Pay by the mile" nonsense, while maintaining the high gas taxes that we already are paying. If they traded one for the other, I would be less critical. However, state and local governments aren't exactly known for their generosity or sense of fair play, so I don't think I'll hold my breath waiting for anything positive to come of their latest plan.

I thought you just needed to drive the car in reverse!

A fool proof method...mostly...

FirstMarvelousCranefly-size_restricted.gif

This type of device only works if you install it at a low mileage. With many places submitting the mileage to carfax/auto check and such. It will only slow the mileage.

Reactions: Chris

Rant over...

Washington state "election" rally.....
flag-of-communist-party-of-china-_140620151202-893.jpg