Holy moly Batman! Is this how much re-gearing should cost?

The real bitch of it is, I have a dana 44 sitting on jack stands waiting for a rebuild/customization when time/money permits, so the dana 30 is literally only getting parts so I don't have to call family to come save my wife when she gets stuck with our baby in bad weather (happened).

So then take a shot at doing it yourself.

Plenty of folks who can help you with the pattern.

You can buy a lot of tools for far less than $1400 and you'll have them for that 44 and everything else.

-Mac

In western MD, I was quoted $1500 in labor plus retail cost for Revolution gears to do both axles on my TJ. This was from a very reputable shop.

For just 1 axle, that seems well above the norm
https://exodus4x4.com/jeep-regear#:~:text=For a Jeep Wrangler JK,the right shop for you.

Does anyone here have a reasonable shop time
Expectation for one axle?? That would help

I highly suggest learning to do things yourself
You have MANY resources at your disposal

Buy quality tools, and reinvest the savings $$ into
Higher quality components = WIN / WIN

If your age and health prohibits it, ask a qualified
Mechanic if they do side work

Reactions: Painfultruth
For just 1 axle, that seems well above the norm
https://exodus4x4.com/jeep-regear#:~:text=For a Jeep Wrangler JK,the right shop for you.

Does anyone here have a reasonable shop time
Expectation for one axle?? That would help

I highly suggest learning to do things yourself
You have MANY resources at your disposal

Buy quality tools, and reinvest the savings $$ into
Higher quality components = WIN / WIN

If your age and health prohibits it, ask a qualified
Mechanic if they do side work

For sure. It's more of a time issue currently. I work a full time job and have a side business that I am also working/building to hopefully be able to work for myself soon, so putting aside time to do everything right now is hard as I also have a 6 month old that demands time as well. I was a jet engine mechanic in the Marine Corps, so definitely not afraid of this job whatsoever, just hard to schedule it in

Reactions: CreepinDeth
I paid $600 for just labor for my rear, the front I did myself given I had the time. The shop was in CT and does a fair amount of axle re gears, but calling around I got quotes from $400-1400.

I used to do all my own regears. This past summer I paid a shop to install 5:38's. They were very reasonable and set the gears up perfect. no noises or vibes.
The price was quite reasonable. The invoice says 5:13's but I switched to 5:38's when I dropped it off.

You used Globex? Hasn't been the same since Hank Scorpio left.

I live east of Seattle about an hour or so... recently got a quote from a local 4x4 shop to install new gears in my front dana 30. I have all the parts as I was planning on figuring this one out myself (former jet engine mechanic), but I have come to a lack of time lately, and they quoted me $1400 plus tax for labor.

Is this the going rate these days?

Why just the front? TJ’s don’t have manual hubs, so unless you’ve pulled the front driveshaft I’m nervous for you

Why just the front? TJ’s don’t have manual hubs, so unless you’ve pulled the front driveshaft I’m nervous for you
Why? Drive in 2wd and it's not an issue. I have never in my life, not even once, accidentally pulled my tcase into 4x4. Neither has anyone riding with me even considered reaching over and doing that. And if it was shifted into 4x4 by, say, a valet driver the drivetrain would just bind up and the Jeep would come to a halt in a couple feet. No damage would occur, the drivetrain is stronger than that.

Reactions: U8MYDZT
Why? Drive in 2wd and it's not an issue. I have never in my life, not even once, accidentally pulled my tcase into 4x4. Neither has anyone riding with me even considered reaching over and doing that. And if it was shifted into 4x4 by, say, a valet driver the drivetrain would just bind up and the Jeep would come to a halt in a couple feet. No damage would occur, the drivetrain is stronger than that.

I have no faith in myself man. I forget my own birthday these days. Thankfully, most valet drivers wouldn’t know what to do with my third pedal.

I was confused about this as well. I couldn't think of a reason why having different raitos would matter in 2WD.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford