Home Depot camping trailer

Shwane

Backcountry Jeeper
Supporting Member
I've been wanting to build one of these for a while, and recently work slowed down enough to start.

I started with a Karavan trailer from Home Depot. Which took weeks to get home because they forgot to renew their license or whatever to give me my temp plate.

The start:

Here's the trailer I used

trailer20180227_091316.jpg

Last edited:
The next step was to fabricate a frame for it to sit on. So I could get it off my jeep.

I used brackets from these guys

No weld trailer brackets

But me being me, decided to weld them out. And yes, the ground spots on the back leg was because I had too many Coors lights and put one backwards. A fact that my wife was happy to point out immediately. I secure them to the trailer using stainless bolts and thread locking nuts drilled through the wood with 6'' x 6'' backing plates (I didn't get pics of that)

20180301_082903.jpg
20180301_092046.jpg
20180228_182339.jpg

Next up was to locate an area for my propane, because Cajun guys like to cook almost as much as talking with our hands.

I used a tank holder from these guys

propane tank holder

It holds 2 tanks very tight. The only thing is, I need to figure out a way for them not to be readily available for thieves. I was thinking drill through the top handle into the hold down bar and maybe put a long padlock? It's really more of a deterrent, or to slow down them down because it's not that stout and a few good kicks could probably dislodge the whole thing. But, whatever.
20180301_083550.jpg

propane tank holder

It holds 2 tanks very tight. The only thing is, I need to figure out a way for them not to be readily available for thieves. I was thinking drill through the top handle into the hold down bar and maybe put a long padlock? It's really more of a deterrent, or to slow down them down because it's not that stout and a few good kicks could probably dislodge the whole thing. But, whatever. View attachment 37254[/QUOTE]

I would just use a lock like you said or a cable lock. Then you could run ti through both bottles and the top rail of the trailer.

Now I need lights. Not just a lantern
propane tank holder

It holds 2 tanks very tight. The only thing is, I need to figure out a way for them not to be readily available for thieves. I was thinking drill through the top handle into the hold down bar and maybe put a long padlock? It's really more of a deterrent, or to slow down them down because it's not that stout and a few good kicks could probably dislodge the whole thing. But, whatever. View attachment 37254

I would just use a lock like you said or a cable lock. Then you could run ti through both bottles and the top rail of the trailer.[/QUOTE]

Yea, that would probably be a little more secure.

Reactions: Dawghouse
Next up was lights. But for me a dual fuel lantern lights the way just fine. But for the wife and kids, I need stadium type ultra daylight blah blah blah
So I place 2 under the tent and 2 facing rearward on my jeep in case we pull in at night. They are Amazon cheapos, but for the price they are pretty bright.

I used these clamps to mount them. I was impressed by the stoutness of them for the price.

LED light mounts

Disregard the cold beverage.
20180302_181850.jpg
20180207_173825.jpg

Reactions: Dawghouse
To power them, I have an Optima blue top. I believe its 55 amp hours. All lights running together I'm pulling about 4 amps.
4 LED cube lights
1 24'' LED strip light for inside the tent
And 2 LED hanging style lights with 12 feet of lead wire so they can be moved whoever we need.

To recharge the battery I went with a 100 watt solar set up. I wasn't too sure on the requirements and quality of panels, so I got an entry level kit from harbor freight. 200 bucks out the door and it came with:
solar controller with cut high and low voltage cut offs
2 LED lanyard lights
4 - 25 watt solar panels
And all the necessary cordage. with the ability to add more panels in the future.
I also bought a triangular tongue box from northern tool to put all my mechanicals and electricals in.

Solar Panel Kit
Trailer tongue box

20180302_151257.jpg
20180303_153206.jpg
20180303_154741.jpg