Home School Curriculum

All of our local friends here who homeschool typically do around 3 hours a day. Of course their kids are in 3rd and 4th grade, so there is that. She said that she really likes the freedom though because some days they'll learn, but other days they'll go some place to learn such as the zoo, a children's museum, etc.

What finally did it for us (aside from the COVID lockdowns, LGBTQ indoctrination, and CRT bullshit) was when we realized our kids are getting older and we are basically not seeing them 7-8 hours a day (they go to school from 8 AM until 3 PM). I said to my wife, "Wouldn't you rather spend as much time with them as possible when they are young because it's time we will never get back?". She agreed with me and we decided once school is over (in 15 days) we are going to start them on homeschooling. We've done so much research and have so many friends who home school (there's even a large homeschool group in our neighborhood) that it just seemed like the right thing to do.

Lately I've been praying about it non-stop and I have told my wife that I feel like part of what God wants me to do on this earth is exactly that, homeschool our kids. Why else would I have ended up in situation where I work from home and have all this extra time I could devote to them. I told her that perhaps this is a calling from the Lord himself.

And like you said, we can take off whenever we want and go on a vacation, effectively bypassing all the crowds.

If you have the ability to homeschool your kids, I think that it's one of the best decisions you'll ever make. I haven't talked to a single person who homeschools that hasn't told us that they absolutely love it. Everyone I talk to as well has said that after removing their kids from public school that ager 2 weeks of homeschooling they become so much better behaved and mannered.
I think you’re not only making the right decision, but one of the best decisions you’ll ever make. This one stays with you for a lifetime. I agree with everything you’ve heard and said.

Reactions: ColoJeep and Chris
That's the idea. Many/most of the pre-canned programs are religion based, Christian mostly, but I've seen a few for Jewish kids. Kudos to the Christians for homeschooling, but that's not what I'm looking for...
I’m not trying to pick a fight at all, but have you actually researched a Christian curriculum? They have things like math, geography, science, literature, writing, art, foreign languages, and explain why these subjects exist and can be investigated. They present other views. They also advocate kindness, patience, not lying, not coveting, giving, helping, working hard, not murdering. Which of these things are you against?

I can't offer any advice as to curriculum as we homeschooled our kids starting in the early 90s but as others have said, find a local HS group or groups. We had an informal group at our house where the kids did fun stuff and hung out together once a week and we had daughters who danced and did gymnastics. Back then in Michigan HSing was semi-legal but we wouldn't have had it any other way! It's NOT for everybody but if it works for you it's very rewarding, especially the one or two week "field trips"(vacations) that we took in the off season;)

Good luck to all of you!

I’m not trying to pick a fight at all, but have you actually researched a Christian curriculum? They have things like math, geography, science, literature, writing, art, foreign languages, and explain why these subjects exist and can be investigated. They present other views. They also advocate kindness, patience, not lying, not coveting, giving, helping, working hard, not murdering. Which of these things are you against?
Do they advocate smart phones? Maybe that's his issue

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and matkal
I just don't want religion in the curriculum, just that simple. If its limited to ETHICS, that's fine, that's good, blah, blah. If it gets into "morality" and/or theology, that isn't so good. I have significant problems with monotheistic "morality", theology, and utterly reject their dogma.

Interesting thread....
My daughter-in-law has home schooled her five kids for the last two years. All are testing at least two grades above their ages. With five kids there is plenty of social interaction. They are in "school" from 8 - 12, M-F.
I went to a Catholic high school that happened to be the best HS in the area, based on grad rate, SAT and ACT scores, and graduates who finished college. Religion class was more of a history class. There was no "indoctrination". There were many non-Catholics in the school who could opt out of religion class.
Re Scientology — L Ron Hubbard founded this "religion" as part of a bet he had with Robert Heinlein as to who could create a recognized religion first. This was just after Heinlein wrote "Stranger in a Strange Land" and Hubbard wrote "Dianetics". The basis of the bet was that an organized, state sanctioned religion could do a "lot more stuff" than any other type of business or corporation, especially being able to operate without taxation. Whilst this idea of a bet is often challenged, Virginia Heinlein attested to it and it was found in several letters Heinlein wrote to Hubbard.

• Wow
Reactions: JMT and Apparition
I really like "Starship Troopers" although the book isn't much like the movie. Most rounds of ammunition fired in any film, so good. The dialog is also top notch. What was this thread about again?
We remembered different parts of that movie.
200.gif

Last edited:
Obviously I don't personally like thinking about Paul Verhoeven showering naked but I do like Dina Meyer a bit more than Denise. Any way you look at it, best movie ever.

If I had had my way, my granddaughter wouldn't have even SEEN a screen until she was about 8 years old - never mind a smartphone.
We never had a TV subscription, still don’t, and we didn’t give our kids computers or phones until they were 14. We did have DVD’s and streaming services for occasional movies. Wife and I probably watch more than they do. There are interesting documentaries on screens, video games, iPhones, etc…, but they all relate back to screens. They are all bad. I’m on one now. I need to get off! LOL

Reactions: Zorba
We never had a TV subscription, still don’t, and we didn’t give our kids computers or phones until they were 14. We did have DVD’s and streaming services for occasional movies. Wife and I probably watch more than they do. There are interesting documentaries on screens, video games, iPhones, etc…, but they all relate back to screens. They are all bad. I’m on one now. I need to get off! LOL
Grew up watching TV - we had a TV in every room of the house, etc, etc. Probably watched as much TV as anyone else all the way through to the 90s. Then something changed. I don't know if it was me, or the TV programming, or both - but I started finding TV to be increasingly vapid and stupid, and not worthy of my time. I'll watch the very occasional documentary, watch some idiot destroy a perfectly good house on one of the HGTV channels if my wife has it on; but other than that, I don't watch TV anymore at all. Do like a good movie - but more and more of those seem to be vapid and stupid as well...

Now we have exactly one TV in the house, and if it disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't miss it in the slightest.

• Love
Reactions: JMT