Home Wi-Fi router and / or mesh purchase help

Since when do ISPs police user's downloads?
Verizon has sent me two notices about illegal content download. Since I've locked down the wifi and network no more notices.

Trust me, they do. Everything we do online, and every IP address we visit is cached, stored and analyzed later.

Verizon has sent me two notices about illegal content download. Since I've locked down the wifi and network no more notices.

Trust me, they do. Everything we do online, and every IP address we visit is cached, stored and analyzed later.
So what the HELL comprises "illegal content download"? I'd be looking for another ISP, methinks...

Beats me. If I recall correctly, it had something to do with copy-write content (movies, videos, music downloads) I don't know why people can't just stream a damn movie instead of download it :rolleyes:, but to each their own.

First letter I ever received was when a nephew was staying over and was watching a movie on his device, which happened to on my network at the time. He said he downloaded because "it looked better"
So what the HELL comprises "illegal content download"? I'd be looking for another ISP, methinks...

Thanks guys, I had pretty much decided on using the App. I would have switched to using my computer to set it up only if I had heard universal advice against it. Thank you!

Reactions: Rick Flair
Maybe you have a sketchy neighbor or drive-by hacker who hacked into your Wi-Fi and was using it to download who knows what. Locking your Wi-Fi was a good decision.

Ok it's up and running!

BUT... why can't I name the 2.4 and 5GHz channels differently so I can tell which is which when connecting my TVs, cellphones, printers, etc.?

On the App it gives the names for my Wi-Fi networks but it's keeping the 2.4GHz and 5GHz named the same.
I want them named according to the speed as I had on my previous router so I can select the correct speed network for what I'm connecting.

But as you can see below, I can't give the 5GHz and 2.4GHz channels different names. When I click the side-arrow to rename it, it lets me rename the 5GHz to Bransford 5GHz but when it saves it and comes back, the name is still the same Bransford 2.4GHz.

This is what I have now...

Screenshot_2020-09-18-16-19-10_resized.png

It will not let me rename the 2.4GHz and 5GHz to have two different names. It keeps forcing them to have the same name. How do I fix this?

Thank you!

It looks like it is treating what I am trying to do as changing the master SSID name. Can I not give the 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels their own unique names like I did with my previous Asus router?

My understanding is that by using the same SSID your device will connect to the better signal rather than hold onto the SSID which may not perform as well. This seems to be the default setup on newer equipment whereas older equipment seemed to default to _2.4ghz or _5ghZ modifies to the SSID.

I imagine that Netgear has put a lot of thought into this and I'd at least try it the way they suggest until you find it isn't working up to expectations.

There may - or may not - be a checkbox somewhere, and it may - or may not - be only on the webpage setup that enables split naming like you want to do. That's what's on my weird-brand AT&T MODEM/router/WAP. YMMV, and all that. I briefly had it setup by band, but switched it back to the default of combined.

If you have smart connect on, it automatically shuffles devices between 2.4 and 5g based on some criteria(I am assuming connection strength and demand).

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
If you have smart connect on, it automatically shuffles devices between 2.4 and 5g based on some criteria(I am assuming connection strength and demand).
It appears to be doing just that.

I wouldn't have selected Automatic if the Nighthawk webpage didn't describe that function as for choosing between the two best 5GHz channels. It didn't say a word about 2.4GHz so I never thought much more about it other than picking the right 5GHz channel shouldn't affect anything else. That must have been for a different Nighthawk router.

Thanks everyone for helping to clear this up. I'll get it all changed over Saturday.

Reactions: Rick Flair
I have locked the router so it won't automatically change the speed of connection. I use nothing but the 2.4ghz signal for everything. However my cellphone disconnects at least once a day claiming poor signal inside my house even when it's not far from the router. When I check the signal out on my then-disconnected phone it says the availabile 2.4ghz signal strength is 'excellent'.

This wasn't happening before with my previous old and weaker router. Any ideas?

I have locked the router so it won't automatically change the speed of connection. I use nothing but the 2.4ghz signal for everything. However my cellphone disconnects at least once a day claiming poor signal inside my house even when it's not far from the router. When I check the signal out on my then-disconnected phone it says the availabile 2.4ghz signal strength is 'excellent'.

This wasn't happening before with my previous old and weaker router. Any ideas?
Probably a stupid question, but have you tried rebooting the router?

Reactions: Jerry Bransford