Honest Comparison: Old Man Emu vs Rancho RS5000X Shocks

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey guys!

I am going to install a 2.5 inch lift kit to my 2004 2.4L 4-cyl TJ.

I want your honest opinion from your experience between Old Man (Nitrocharger Sport)
Shocks vs Rancho (RS5000X) Shocks. Lets Compare them!

To summarize what you will read if you search this forum:

Almost no one on this forum will admit to liking the current version of the OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks.

Almost no one on this forum will admit to not liking Rancho RS5000X shocks.

I have no personal experience with either on a TJ.

There is no comparison. OME shocks ride like complete crap, hard as a rock. Rancho RS5000X shocks ride nice and plush.

Reactions: SCiotola
I've had both shocks on my jeep. The OME Nitrochargers were awful on washboard roads and high impact hits but great around corners. The RS5000X's are leaps and bounds better on washboard roads and high impact hits but not as good around corners.

All in all the RS5000X's were a much more pleasant shock to live with and made the jeep much more comfortable.

OP what kind of driving do you do with your rig? I have the OMEs and like them for my kinda driving, mostly off-road tech trails, little driving on pavement. For this kinda of use I thought the Ranchos might be too soft and I like the stiffer OME feel. If I was driving mostly on pavement I would probably vote for something other than the OMEs for a smoother ride.

Reactions: strumble8
No experience with OME; however, I did just recently put the Ranchos on.
Decent shock for the money, but honestly I did not notice much, if any, improvement. Especially considering all the rave reviews and that my old BDS shocks were 8 years old.

If you search, you’ll find a number of posts regarding OME Sport shocks vs Rancho RS5000X. Some went from OME to Rancho, others went from Rancho to OME.

I don’t think anyone can tell you what you’ll be happier with. I installed OME 933/942 springs on my LJ a few weeks ago but didn’t order shocks until I already had the springs installed.

After a lot of back and forth, I ordered OME rear (60048) shocks first. I’m quite happy with the Sport shocks and I think the ride and performance are comparable to the 933/942 & N66/N67 setup had in my previous TJ.

What turned me away from Rancho was terms and phrases like body roll and plush. I prefer a firm, controlled ride in my Jeep.

The difficult aspect of this question is being able to find people who have run both on the otherwise identical vehicle. Another layer of confusion that will come from those who knew and liked the previous version of the OME shock. I had those and believe them to be comparable to the new Rancho 5000x. I have no idea what the new nitrocharger sports are like.

My general thought is that while I like the 5000x, it is a mushy feeling shock. But I would prefer that over the sharp jittery feeling that a Bilstein 5100 provides.

Last edited:
I've had both shocks on my jeep. The OME Nitrochargers were awful on washboard roads and high impact hits but great around corners. The RS5000X's are leaps and bounds better on washboard roads and high impact hits but not as good around corners.

All in all the RS5000X's were a much more pleasant shock to live with and made the jeep much more comfortable.

I’ve never had the old version of the OME shocks, so I can’t compare those. What Alex01 described though is the same as my experience going from the newer OME shocks to the RS5000x’s.

I used the OME shocks for about 1 year before switching.

Reactions: Alex01
Οδηγήστε σαν να βρισκόσασταν σε βαρύ φορτηγό χωρίς ανάρτηση

Translation: OME Nitrochargers ride like Trojan Horse

Trojan-Horse-720x540.jpg

Thanks all for the answers! Its my daily driver, but I am enjoying some off-roading (mostly mud, and rocks). Only 29" All terrain tires right now. I want to upgrade with a 2-2.5" lift kit, and 31" All-terrain tires (I dont want to go bigger because of 2.4L engine)

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Ran the newer Rancho RS5000X shocks for about 6 months on my Rubicon, then swallowed the OME koolaid. Honestly? I couldn't tell any difference. I was needlessly out the cost of 4 shocks in the end. Don't do like me.

Last edited:
I had OME nitro sports on my 06TJR when I got it. They were fairly new (OME springs too) with just a hint of rust. In NY that means only 1 winter. After a whole I swapped to the 5000x shocks and found little difference. One handled potholes slightly better, one felt with railroad tracks a bit better. I would be hard pressed to say which would be better for you. I think you would like either.
Neither shock would be considered 'plush' by me.

Adding on to this thread. I've been considering a Hybrid of OME Coil's and Rancho RS5000x shocks. Has anyone done this? What do the part numbers look like when you piece it out? Also, did I see another thread that aluminum (Possibly savvy), were recommended for 1.0” to 1.25" body lift? I appreciate any help or guidance!!

I did this.
Ome coils, rancho springs. Rides nice on and off road.

Ill pm you the part numbers in a bit.

Last edited: