Hood Louvers and Aftermarket Intake Question

PointerTJ

Hey folks,

First, I’ve gotta say that this is a top notch forum. I’ve been lurking around for the past year or so and the community and technical information is outstanding.

My TJ had some questionable modifications prior to my ownership that I have been addressing since I bought it. Someone installed an aftermarket air intake with an oiled filter, chopped a hole in the hood and slapped a big ole cowl hood scoop on top of it all and called it good. CAI discussions aside, this cowl catches a lot of wind going down the highway, is starting to fall apart and looks pretty silly.

I don’t think that the air filter actually goes into the hole in the hood at all so I ordered a Posion Spider hood louver panel and plan on installing it this weekend. While I wait for a stock air intake to pop up locally I want to know how to best protect my engine with the new louver panel. I’ve kept the filter regularly cleaned and oiled but it gets covered in crap as soon as it leaves pavement. Thoughts?

Thanks!

8A2CC853-BDCF-45B6-AA2C-3F596EC9D6E4.jpeg

96003944-2E08-4724-ACB5-7B2008D0EE0D.jpeg

90471107-6008-467F-B72A-50DA89765715.jpeg

That was my thought as well. The louver panel is much cheaper than finding a replacement hood. What I don’t get is that the cowl scoop is color matched perfectly to the hood. That’s a decent amount of effort for a flimsy piece of plastic.

Ive got a stock airbox you can have for the cost of shipping. No tube though as I have hacked away at it.

The PS louvres are fine. Your engine gets dirty from the big hole underneath, a few up top will not make it any dirtier.

I had the PS on my previous JKU and it was a quality piece. Did you get the black powder coat or bare aluminum?
No need to cut the rest of the hood up for the PS it is fine just mounted on top.

I loved it on my JKU...not a huge fan on a TJ but for your situation it probably is the best course of action..kind of curious how the Powder coat will look against a really glossy hood paint?

I'm not sure, that's why I have put off doing this for so long. I went with the powder coat because the Jeep really doesn't need anything high contrast to draw attention to it, the hood is the only thing without trail pin-striping.