Hood prop rod retainer clip

Imapepper

TJ Enthusiast
Bought the cheapest one on eBay, too small for square hole in hood, buyer beware.Is oem or homebrew my option? Thanks 20180309_103805.jpg

Mine is missing, I just put the rod in the spring when closing the hood. I like that they attached the rod to the hood, it make a good handle for putting the hood all the way up and pulling it back down
I did that too. Now squeaks all the time. Thinking of removing rod.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mine broke, I bought one off Amazon that took a month to get here - only to break it when I attempted to install it.

I bought one of these padded straps at the hardware store - it fits perfectly in the hood prop clip mounting square and I never looked back:

0ABDBC6E-9D40-4CC9-BDCC-AA5AE9214C65.jpeg

(The scratch on the prop was there before BTW)

Reactions: dance_party
My hood got replaced after softball hail ruined it, and the hood prop clip is completely different. It ended up getting torn out and now it’s just lost, and I can’t find anything that looks like it. Considering the hood just folds all the way back, could I just take off the prop?

Most auto paint stores also sell all different types of clips, screws, and fasteners. Might be worth a look when you are trying to find a clip or something like that.

This is the clip that I purchased to replace the broken one in my '06 LJ. I do not know if it fits earlier model years.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=132119161687
It is a 2-piece assembly, one fits into the hood and the other with the retaining clip snaps into it. The part that fit into my hood was intact and only the retainer clip was broken. I separated the old outer piece and replaced with the new, leaving the old inner piece in place. It works fine.

One comment though, I should have purchased two. This one feels a bit flimsy so I am gentle with it. I wouldn't have to be so gentle if I had a spare.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
This is the clip that I purchased to replace the broken one in my '06 LJ. I do not know if it fits earlier model years.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=132119161687
It is a 2-piece assembly, one fits into the hood and the other with the retaining clip snaps into it. The part that fit into my hood was intact and only the retainer clip was broken. I separated the old outer piece and replaced with the new, leaving the old inner piece in place. It works fine.

One comment though, I should have purchased two. This one feels a bit flimsy so I am gentle with it. I wouldn't have to be so gentle if I had a spare.
I went to the salvage yard and got a half dozen or so for a buck. Most Chrysler cars with prop rods and minivans use this same retainer

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I went to the salvage yard and got a half dozen or so for a buck.

Good idea.

I'm old and lazy and a trip past the other side of town and back would cost almost as much in gasoline as I paid on Ebay and more than an hour of my time. A couple of keystrokes and waa laa, a guy in a postal uniform brought one to my door. Gotta love the 21st Century.

But the next time a pass by an auto recycler I'll see if I can get some spares.