Hooked on a little white Jeep...

allegedcaveman

After riding around with a buddy in his 2020 JT, I had the bug to start adventuring off-road in harsher environments than my '02 Subaru could handle. I got my sights set on owning a TJ, and building it up just a smidge.

A couple weeks later I went to look at a stock stone white 2003 X, with a manual transmission. Frame was solid, very little surface rust on the tub from the bottom or under the carpets, had lived most of it's life between San Francisco and LA. On the downside, the rear pinion bearing was noisy, it had a steering shimmy at speed, was at 138k miles, and it had 3.07 gears in 35/30 axles. However, the seller came down in price easily, and I get emotionally attached easily, so the little white Jeep that had seldom ventured off the pavement came home with me a few days later.
IMG_20210222_135031974_HDR.jpg
I took care of the vent control (broken vacuum line) and steering shimmy (new drag link and ZJ upgrade tie rod) and took it down to Hollister HIlls SVRA to see how it did. Honestly, I was really surprised at what the stock TJ on 225/76R15 highway rubber could do. I had a blast, and that night the orders started.

IMG_20210320_135047265_HDR.jpg

Next to my trail buddy/work colleague's JT:

IMG_20210222_160850384_HDR.jpg

Already installed:
BDS 2" springs all around (adding 0.75" leveling spacers up front one night this week)
1.25" Savvy body lift
1" motor mount lift
Currie anti-rock (a bit overkill for a 2.5"-ish lift, but I like the look and got it used for <$300 in fantastic condition)
JKS front trackbar (also obtained used for a great price)
Savvy engine skid

Over the next two weeks:
-33x10.50R15 tires on the stock Ecco wheels, with ~1" wheel spacer/adapter. I really like the Ecco's, and they've got pockets where the studs would protrude so a spacer will work fine. I considered 33x12.5R15, but I'll be mostly on dirt roads and rocks and don't think I'll see much benefit. Always open to other opinions, of course!
-4.56 gears
-Zip locker in the front axle

And ASAP:
-Sliders. Savvy is pricey, but seems like best option (especially considering the 60-90 day lead time for JCR at the moment.)

I have a 3.73-and-up carrier for the rear axle for the 4.56 gear install, although I'm considering just spending the money now and putting in a selectable locker now, like I am with the front. Opinions on just the front locked versus both axles, on 33" tires? (If I lock the rear, I'll also be installing a Super 35 kit from Revolution. I really don't plan on going past 33".)

Within the next month, I'm also doing the full frame protection regimen of air clean/pressure washing/Eastwood internal, followed up (after the Eastwood cures) with fluid film. I work with electric aircraft, and I have dreams of electrifying this thing after I've squeezed another 100k out of the 4.0, so I really want that frame to stay solid.

Last edited:
Great find, and it didn't take you long to get it dirty! (y)

You’re moving along nicely. Great looking TJ. I would do just the front locker for now and wheel it like that and see how it does. A locker up front will make a big difference. Or if $ permits, go super 35 and lock the rear!

Let's talk shocks!

Still have to cycle the front suspension with tires on, but I'm currently at 1.25" of bump. Measuring between the front shock mounts, I have:

~14.5" at bump
~19.75" ride height, with winch/bumper/spare mounted
~24" extended

Looks like I should definitely go with the Rancho 2-3" front that I just ordered, instead of the 0-2" that I have still in the box in the garage (guess I'll return them.) With the 2-3" version, I'll have ~5" up, 4.25" down travel. With the 0-2" my down travel would be limited by shock extension to 2" or less, and the shock would be at least a couple inches from full compression when that corner is at bump.

My favorite year TJ, and favorite color too. We have a similar build platform. You'll want 1.75" of bump stop up front to keep those 33's out of the sheet metal.

Reactions: Lo-Kei
Was moving along today, getting the Rancho shocks installed when SNAP went a rear upper shock mount bolt. Seems like the recommended approach is a dremel and cut-off wheel? Even with the body lift it's pretty tight.

Was moving along today, getting the Rancho shocks installed when SNAP went a rear upper shock mount bolt. Seems like the recommended approach is a dremel and cut-off wheel? Even with the body lift it's pretty tight.
Ouch. I was worried about that when I installed mine. I bought a southern jeep for a reason and got lucky on my shock install. Looks like you're moving along nicely!

Only had one upper shock bolt break. Purchased a right angle adapter for my Dremel...Not terribly impressed with the quality but it got the job done. Cut the weld as best I could in the limited space, engineer's hammer and chisel took care of it after that.

Got some General Grabber X3 33x10.50R15 for $1k after tax and delivery. Time for gears and locker!

Reactions: MeanGreen86
Nice build. We're heading down similar paths. Sounds like you're going to run those 33/10.5s for a bit before regearing? If so, would be great to hear the comparison vs the 31s.

I'll be ready for tires soon and am debating another set of 31s that I'd sell when the regear happens or just going right to the 33/10.5s and living with the performance drop in the interim.

Nice build. We're heading down similar paths. Sounds like you're going to run those 33/10.5s for a bit before regearing? If so, would be great to hear the comparison vs the 31s.
Oh no, definitely not. I've got 3.07s at the moment, and I hate them on the stock highway tires (not even 31's, they're like 28.5"). I'm regearing right away.

Life's too short to throw away 5th gear :)

Oh no, definitely not. I've got 3.07s at the moment, and I hate them on the stock highway tires (not even 31's, they're like 28.5"). I'm regearing right away.

Life's too short to throw away 5th gear :)
Ahhh, misread one of the earlier posts; my bad. That would be rough with 3.07! 👍

Only had one upper shock bolt break. Purchased a right angle adapter for my Dremel...Not terribly impressed with the quality but it got the job done. Cut the weld as best I could in the limited space, engineer's hammer and chisel took care of it after that.

Got some General Grabber X3 33x10.50R15 for $1k after tax and delivery. Time for gears and locker!
I'm running the x3's and I like them alot. They have some road noise but not terrible and they make up for that in the snow and mud.