Host F550 4X4 Motorhome Quad Slide 330

Here's the new A/C units inside. They are super quiet compared to the old units.

20221005_170927.jpg

And the remote is also the thermostat.

20221005_170948.jpg

When you turn the A/C on it has a display on the unit itself along with the remote.

20221005_171012.jpg

20221005_171042.jpg

And the new Fantastic Fan. These remote controlled also plus have a rain sensor. So they close automatically if it starts raining.

20221005_171336.jpg

And have a manual or auto mode.

20221005_171350.jpg

The the new TV antenna has a signal booster for Wi-Fi and cellular.

20221005_171633.jpg

20221005_171639.jpg

Same units were also installed in the bedroom.

20221005_171756.jpg

It has a separate remote.

20221005_171811.jpg

I also did a little preventive maintenance on the coach today. It was low on coolant so I bought some for it.
1.5 gallons low....:(o_O

Also repaired the cruise control. This was a fupa on me. When I'd removed the Banks tuner I'd missed one cable that went to the brake sensor.

Tomorrow I've got to work on my sister's car since her heat isn't working. And she says it's cooling off enough that she might want heat now and then.

Reactions: reddvltj
Well I finally drove home yesterday after spending the week at my sister's house. We spent the weekend cutting and splitting firewood for my niece and her boyfriend.
I also worked on their rigs while I was there.

As I'd said in my TJ build thread my daughter has COVID so I'm living in the coach until she tests negative.
I'd forgotten to turn on the refrigerator before I left my sister's house so I'd stopped along the way. As I was climbing back out of the coach I noticed that the solar readout panel wasn't working......
So I did my checks that I knew how to but didn't have a multimeter with me to check voltages with.
Called the RV dealer and spoke with the tech that had installed the solar. He thinks one of the circuit breakers has taken a crap on me.
So first thing this morning I'm going to try and troubleshoot this issue.

Really not pleased with the their work.
Fingers crossed it's something simple. Of course if I can't figure it out I'll have to make another trip over to Everett.

Also wanted to run the fuel tank as close to empty as possible so I can install the fuel sump for the AirDog. I think if the gauge is accurate I'm pretty darn close.

20221010_171419.jpg

I've also got a small cut on my leg that I've got to take it easy on for the next few days.

20221007_175054.jpg

Don't know what the heck I'm doing this year but it sucks.

When I'd gotten home yesterday my refrigerator was still not cold enough for things like meats or milk so I fired up the electric cooler I'd bought. It was at 35⁰ in about 20 minutes. I'm really impressed with the way it works.

20221011_093439.jpg

20221011_093450.jpg

Got to use my coffee maker for the first time this morning. Makes a great cup of coffee ☕️.

20221011_094107.jpg

20221011_094119.jpg

Well SHIT......
Looking like the new solar system is kaput. I checked all the connections in the battery compartment and have voltage like I should.

Then removed the access panel to the MPPT and it's not even turned on. But I didn't want to disassemble it too much until I can talk with the dealer. I don't know if there's a fuse inline or something that I need to check.

Did get two pictures of the roof.

20221011_102110.jpg

20221011_102118.jpg

Well SHIT......
Looking like the new solar system is kaput. I checked all the connections in the battery compartment and have voltage like I should.

Then removed the access panel to the MPPT and it's not even turned on. But I didn't want to disassemble it too much until I can talk with the dealer. I don't know if there's a fuse inline or something that I need to check.

Did get two pictures of the roof.

View attachment 366006

View attachment 366007

I sympathize with your solar troubles.. The folks had some guests stay in their motorhome this weekend and we discovered the coach batteries are shot. For some reason even when plugged into shore power if the batteries are dead nothing 12 volt works. So I get to go on a gremlin fishing expedition myself to find out where the flow stoppage is between the inverter charger/solar panel and the batteries. Before these batteries die an untimely death too.

• Sad
Reactions: Wildman
Well after more testing and talking to the RV dealer this brand new MPPT controller has gone bad. I've got 13.6 VDC from the coach batteries and 19.85VDC coming in from the solar panels so it wasn't/isn't a voltage issue. They are at least letting me pull the part and send it to them and then they'll send me a new one.

Well after more testing and talking to the RV dealer this brand new MPPT controller has gone bad. I've got 13.6 VDC from the coach batteries and 19.85VDC coming in from the solar panels so it wasn't/isn't a voltage issue. They are at least letting me pull the part and send it to them and then they'll send me a new one.
It's good of them to send it out on your diagnosis. It's rare that shops these days trust the end user. they usually tell you to bring it back to them.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be either a solenoid, fuse, or isolator causing the problem on the folks' mh. I just need to grab the wiring schematic (aka spaghetti diagram) and get very personal with a dvom in the battery compartment.

Reactions: Wildman
It's good of them to send it out on your diagnosis. It's rare that shops these days trust the end user. they usually tell you to bring it back to them.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be either a solenoid, fuse, or isolator causing the problem on the folks' mh. I just need to grab the wiring schematic (aka spaghetti diagram) and get very personal with a dvom in the battery compartment.

The service manager I'm dealing with is a car nut so we've been trading build stories. So he's a little more trusting of me I think?

But I was reading the manual for the MPPT and found where it says it is supposed to have 6" of clearance front and back & 2" per side minimum for air flow. Plus it's not supposed to be mounted on a easily combustible material and they have it mounted on wood....
So I emailed him asking if it overheated which killed it.
I'm not a expert but all the installs of these has been in a more open place. They'd mounted mine above my TV I a small enclosure.

This MPPT isn't small.

20221011_153741.jpg

20221011_170836.jpg

20221011_170843.jpg

And they'd mounted it in this space that is above the TV.

20221011_170916.jpg

So NO air flow through this enclosure at all.

• Face Palm
I'm a bit surprised it doesn't have a little more of a "stand off" to allow soe air flow between the unit and what it's mounted to. Or is heatsing the outer shell?

The way the manual reads it is mounted to whatever but the way they had it mounted was to a piece of wood that was then screwed to the ceiling. But IMO it should have been as you say spaced away from where it mounts to allow are to flow past. But that cabinet is closed off and it can't get any air thru it.

I talked with the RV dealer today about the MPPT and they said this is a normal type area to mount them at and that it isn't normally a problem. They think it just happened to be a bad MPPT. So at this point I'll ship it off to them and I'll reinstall it where they'd put it. If the next one stops working after a few days I'll have them give me a refund and I'll just install a MPPT myself.

Make sure you label what’s in them.

Done for now. Since I've only cooked with wood chips in smokers and on a grill, this is new to me and I'm using woods I've used before. The gourmet BBQ is a new blend that I thought I'd try out. So now I've got to find some space in the coach for these bins.If those of you who have used other flavors have suggestions I'm listening.

20221014_163438.jpg

Onto the MPPT saga, I mailed it back to the dealership yesterday so I HOPE I'll have the new one in a week or so. At this point I am just going to install the new one back in the same spot and see what happens. I've been trying to watch install videos and read articles on how others have installed their MPPT.
I'm kicking myself for NOT specifying the types of features I would have liked from the MPPT they were installing. I like the features that the Victron has and it's adjustability. I also like the bluetooth option they offer and the add on options you have so I may just end up upgrading it myself.
Just like with our Jeeps it seems there are more than one way to build a solar system and I'm not sure that there is only ONE way to do it great.
Ran into a fellow veteran yesterday while in town getting a haircut and we started talking and come to find out he's a solar dealer and offered me some parts for a killer price. I've got to go meet with him next week and see what all he has that is getting blown out. Might be getting one or two more panels sooner than I'd planned.