Host F550 4X4 Motorhome Quad Slide 330

Finally spent some quality time withe the motorhome. I'm installing a new aluminum radiator to replace the plastic & aluminum radiator. There has been reported issues with the stock radiators so I'm just trying to be cautious. Then while I'm at it I'm also installing new radiator hoses.

20230823_153321.jpg

20230823_132059.jpg

Replaced the thermostats & housing while I had everything torn apart.

20230823_150835.jpg

20230823_150845.jpg

Ford has a better idea??? Dual thermostats

20230823_150849.jpg

New parts installed.

20230823_151722.jpg

20230823_151727.jpg

You have to pretty much tare the whole front of the rig apart to get the radiator.

20230823_153306.jpg

I called my neighbor and he came over and helped me pull the old radiator and install the new one.

20230823_153312.jpg

New aluminum radiator installed

20230823_164643.jpg

20230823_164650.jpg

Started getting things remounted..

20230823_164703.jpg

Here's the old radiator.

20230823_164657.jpg

Also going to install a new cold air charge pipe. This again was a Ford Better Idea.... WTF??? Look how much they compressed this pipe.

20230823_164718.jpg

20230823_164723.jpg

I'll have pictures tomorrow of what the new pipes look like.

Ask Ford.. I just replaced them. I honestly have no idea why they designed them like this.

I do, some dipshit engineer was thinking, "how can we screw with people today, Hey I got it, lets bury the radiator so the entire front has to come off, and then let use two thermostats, and Hey Joe, you still have them funky hoses, cool, lets throw them in the too"

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj
I do, some dipshit engineer was thinking, "how can we screw with people today, Hey I got it, lets bury the radiator so the entire front has to come off, and then let use two thermostats, and Hey Joe, you still have them funky hoses, cool, lets throw them in the too"

Have you worked on one of these newer trucks? The radiator hoses have a circle clip and o-rings instead of hose clamps. I'll post pictures of them tomorrow. It's crazy.

I should have bought a new intercooler too but it's pretty easy to swap out so I'll get one in a few months.

Reactions: reddvltj and Jmac00
Have you worked on one of these newer trucks? The radiator hoses have a circle clip and o-rings instead of hose clamps. I'll post pictures of them tomorrow. It's crazy.

I should have bought a new intercooler too but it's pretty easy to swap out so I'll get one in a few months.

mine so new the only things I have changed so far are oil and fuel filter(s)

there is frame fuel filter and a engine fuel filter ( in a diesel ) they are stupid easy to change, you just have to remember to pressurize the system before you start the engine

mine so new the only things I have changed so far are oil and fuel filter(s)

there is frame fuel filter and a engine fuel filter ( in a diesel ) they are stupid easy to change, you just have to remember to pressurize the system before you start the engine

Yep I've got to do them too when I get to that point. Doing preventive maintenance on the cooling system since it's one of the 6.4's problem areas. I've got a cooling system filter I'll be adding.

I'm going to Yellowstone & Rushmore & then Nebraska in Oct with my sister & BIL so I'm trying to get everything ready.

Yep I've got to do them too when I get to that point. Doing preventive maintenance on the cooling system since it's one of the 6.4's problem areas. I've got a cooling system filter I'll be adding.

I'm going to Yellowstone & Rushmore & then Nebraska in Oct with my sister & BIL so I'm trying to get everything ready.

IDK how much time you have, but you could do Rushmore and Custer State Park in one day.
another really cool place that few know about is the Calvin Coolidge Fire Tower right off rt-87.

We did not do the Needles highway, thats going to be next year, we hope

IDK how much time you have, but you could do Rushmore and Custer State Park in one day.
another really cool place that few know about is the Calvin Coolidge Fire Tower right off rt-87.

We did not do the Needles highway, thats going to be next year, we hope

I'm going over to visit them next week so I'll mention it. I did the Needles Hwy on my Harley in 2019. Not sure I'd want to take my MH down that road.

This was one of the guys in the group I was with. Notice the sheep?

FB_IMG_1565832690264.jpg

One is a bypass t-stat, it opens earlier than the other and allows the coolant to cycle through the engine to allow for faster warm ups, the other opens up flow through the radiator....

OK I'd always wondered what they were for. I put stock Motorcraft t-stats in it. There are aftermarket ones that have different temps but I figured stock was OK.

OK I'd always wondered what they were for. I put stock Motorcraft t-stats in it. There are aftermarket ones that have different temps but I figured stock was OK.

Solves some problems creates others...lol

Cummins should have run a dual t-stat for the 5.9 and 6.7, fortunately you can buy what they should have done in the aftermarket...

I'm sure you had read something about this set up.. It adds a t-stat to te back of the head and a coolant bypass to help keep cyl #s 5 and 6 from getting hotter than cyl #s 1-4
https://www.fleeceperformance.com/d...ss-kit-for-2003-2007-manual-transmission.html

Reactions: Wildman
This is the radiator hose fitting.

20230823_200013.jpg

The circle clip goes into the grove.

20230823_200025.jpg

And it snaps onto these connectors on the radiator and thermostat housing.

20230823_200034.jpg

• Face Palm
Reactions: Zorba and reddvltj
hope much did that misimoto run you. i haven’t bought one yet. but i know i’ll need to. last i saw they were $850. but that was Alaska prices pre-plandemic

The radiator isn't a Misimoto it's a Alloyworks and it was $800 off Amazon last year. I've got the Misimoto silicone hoses and their upper radiator support.