Host F550 4X4 Motorhome Quad Slide 330

RVs of all types have always been shitty quality, and they ALL leak sooner or later, then rot out. I've owned and been involved with enough of them to know.

As for 2 days without TV, sounds like heaven to me! My wife watches it all the time, I seldom to never do.

RVs of all types have always been shitty quality, and they ALL leak sooner or later, then rot out. I've owned and been involved with enough of them to know.

As for 2 days without TV, sounds like heaven to me! My wife watches it all the time, I seldom to never do.

You are missing the point... The quality has gone down even more.

If you keep up on your maintenance you can limit the amount of leaks from my experience and the construction of the unit matters. One of the nice things about a Host is that it's a aluminum welded frame.
I can go a week or more without TV if I'm busy and doing stuff. If I'm not able to move or be active then I enjoy my TV but to each their own. Wouldn't EVER try to tell someone else what they HAVE to do.

I worked on RV's for a few years and so I know a little about them but ain't no expert by far. Nor do I claim to be.

Having somewhere between zero and no experience with this myself, how is that much overhang going to behave once a trailer is also connected up?

You are missing the point... The quality has gone down even more.

If you keep up on your maintenance you can limit the amount of leaks from my experience and the construction of the unit matters. One of the nice things about a Host is that it's a aluminum welded frame.

Yes, yes, and YES. You have to stay on top of them, otherwise you have a mess real quick. I've been involved with 4 of them over the years, two that I grew up with and two that I owned as an adult. Keep the roof coated and watch the seams - esp. the front overhang seams on fifth wheels, truck campers, and Class C motorhomes; they ALWAYS want to leak there.

I enjoyed RVing, but I'm not sure I want another one. Wife is agitating for one though...

Reactions: Wildman
The way RVs are used makes them maintenance intensive. Just think, you are going 60 mph down a bumpy road in a rain storm. That is like your sticks and bricks home being in a earthquake and a hurricane at the same time. :)

I agree with Wildman that quality has taken a significant turn down in the past 2 years. Blame it on assembly lines running at full speed and heavy worker absenteeism/turnover due to the pandemic. The years before 2020 were not much better. The industry crashed in the 2007-08 economic crisis. The companies left standing merged and streamlined operations. The result is that 2 holding companies, Thor and Forest River, now own 90% of the market. Added to that brew is that Lippert, INC has become the sole source for frames, doors, window, axles, etc. My experience with Lippert is that they buy Chinese metal by the ship load and design their products to barely meet useful standards. Oh yeah, RV trailer tires are heart breakers too. Do a google for "China Bombs" for an afternoon of reading.

I have had 3 RVs. The first was a 39" toyhauler from XLR. I bought this when I was still active with motorcycles and was approaching retirement. I was happy for a while, then the problems started. I owned the trailer for 3 years. I had a great time and visited some far away places. My RV also spent a lot of time in the shop. I sold it after 3 years. I wrote a story about my experience.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f49/three-years-with-a-thunderbolt-291331.html?highlight=thunderbolt

IMG_1498-X3.jpg

My next Rv was a car hauler w/living quarters. I bought this when My wife and I bought our TJ. I loved the way it was constructed. I felt like I didn't have to worry about it melting in the rain or falling apart on the highway. :) The aluminum skin and walls made the camper hard to heat or cool in extreme temperatures. The fact that you had to crawl up to the bed (in the overhang) wasn't so great either. Eventually, my wife asked for a Class A coach.

i-Vf3TZqT-X3.jpg

I read somewhere years ago that the average RV'er went through 3 campers before they found the "one". I laughed when I read this and thought, Not me. I am smarter than that. It turns out that I wasn't. :)

Having somewhere between zero and no experience with this myself, how is that much overhang going to behave once a trailer is also connected up?

The coach I owned prior to this was a diesel pusher so I can't really comment on how it's going to affect things. When this unit was being sold it had a 20K tow rating which was the highest of it's class. And still is. I can only tell you that the other owners I've spoken with have said it tows like a dream. I will say there are TONS of Class C & Super Class C MH's that have as much if not more rear overhang and many of those rigs tow something. Once the Jeep is done I'll be able to give you a better idea.

Now if I'd gotten the camper I wanted (triple slide Host or Eagle Cap) I would have had to have a 48" hitch extension on it and while it's been tested and many claim it's not an issue I just wasn't comfortable with a 48" hitch extension towing 10K+ of trailer. With this setup it's a solid frame all the way to the back.

A little more information about this.

Total Length: 35'

Wheelbase: 248"

4 wheel disc brake

19.5" rims

Fresh Water: 68 gallons

Gray Water: 38 gallons

Black Water: 38 gallons

Fuel Tank: 42 gallons & a optional 70 gallon tank. I have the 42 gallon.

The way RVs are used makes them maintenance intensive. Just think, you are going 60 mph down a bumpy road in a rain storm. That is like your sticks and bricks home being in a earthquake and a hurricane at the same time. :)

I agree with Wildman that quality has taken a significant turn down in the past 2 years. Blame it on assembly lines running at full speed and heavy worker absenteeism/turnover due to the pandemic. The years before 2020 were not much better. The industry crashed in the 2007-08 economic crisis. The companies left standing merged and streamlined operations. The result is that 2 holding companies, Thor and Forest River, now own 90% of the market. Added to that brew is that Lippert, INC has become the sole source for frames, doors, window, axles, etc. My experience with Lippert is that they buy Chinese metal by the ship load and design their products to barely meet useful standards. Oh yeah, RV trailer tires are heart breakers too. Do a google for "China Bombs" for an afternoon of reading.

I have had 3 RVs. The first was a 39" toyhauler from XLR. I bought this when I was still active with motorcycles and was approaching retirement. I was happy for a while, then the problems started. I owned the trailer for 3 years. I had a great time and visited some far away places. My RV also spent a lot of time in the shop. I sold it after 3 years. I wrote a story about my experience.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f49/three-years-with-a-thunderbolt-291331.html?highlight=thunderbolt

View attachment 340594

My next Rv was a car hauler w/living quarters. I bought this when My wife and I bought our TJ. I loved the way it was constructed. I felt like I didn't have to worry about it melting in the rain or falling apart on the highway. :) The aluminum skin and walls made the camper hard to heat or cool in extreme temperatures. The fact that you had to crawl up to the bed (in the overhang) wasn't so great either. Eventually, my wife asked for a Class A coach.

View attachment 340595

I read somewhere years ago that the average RV'er went through 3 campers before they found the "one". I laughed when I read this and thought, Not me. I am smarter than that. It turns out that I wasn't. :)

I've been trying to decide on what I wanted in a RV now for the past 3 years and thought I'd figured it out at one point but hadn't bought anything yet. My original plan was to buy a triple slide camper and then make another Red Neck Toyhauler.

IMGP1962.jpg

IMGP3382 (1).jpg

And this would have worked for what I am trying to do but I was looking at a 38' gooseneck trailer to fit everything and I was going to be pretty heavy. So then I'd started looking at getting a HDT with a bed on it to haul the Jeep and a bumper pull toyhauler for my Harley. I'd almost bought this rig when this Host came onto the market. And this would have been comfortable and workable.

1656913466299.png

So now my plan is to get a cargo/utility trailer similar to this.

1656913935682.png

I've talked with this company before, and they'll build it just about any way you want so my plan is to get a 24-26' trailer with a 10' box on the front. Have barn doors in the rear so I can load my Harley inside along with tools, welder, compressor and parts and then load the Jeep on the 14-16' of open deck behind the box. This way I can haul both my toys around the country and hit up all these wheeling spots I've been reading about for 40+ years. And have my Harley when I want to go sightseeing or just take a day cruise wherever I might feel like going. I'll end up living on the road 8-9 month of the year is what I'm thinking right now. I hope to boondock most of the time if things work out like, I hope. So, finding this Host really wasn't planned but the day I was taking my truck to a dealership in Wenatchee it popped up in my notifications. If it hadn't, I would have bought the HDT.

Right now, I've got to finish my Jeep first and then I'll start working on the Host. I want to address most of the common failure points of the 6.4 and then just try to improve things. It needs larger swaybars and maybe air bags in the rear. Or I might just install a Kelderman air ride all the way around.

I love the redneck toyhaulers. I was leaning this way and the wife said "NO". That was how I ended up with the car hauler w/living quarter.

The problem with unusual campers is where to camp. I remember checking in to a campground with the car hauler and the desk jockey said, "I didn't know you had a horse trailer". The implication being that they didn't want campers like mine there. The other fun part with long trailers is making the turns in campgrounds. You have to have a plan to get in and out. I'm guessing you already know about this.

Most people who wheel and travel with redneck toyhaulers boondock. You are going to need to be careful if you boondock because of body clearances. I lifted my car hauler 2" to prevent some of the scrapes I was getting on fairly normal driveway entrances.

My wife and I retired in 2014. Our retirement plan was to see the country, especially the back country. Camping was the best option because we didn't want to board our dogs. We go out for 6-7 weeks and then return home for a couple of months. We explored with dirt bikes for the first 3 years. Then health issues ended my wife's desire to ride, and we bought a Jeep. Now the motorcycles are gone and we are living the Jeep life.

I am a conservative Wheeler. I want to have some fun, see the scenery, make myself squeal once ot twice, and then get back with my Jeep in good shape. We have wheeled in a lot of different environments and enjoyed every minute. No surprise that we like the Smoky Mountains, Big Bend, NP, TX, Ouray, CO and Moab, UT the best. Good luck with your camper and your travels.

i-hBVhMkf-X3.jpg

i-kn9xwQp-X3.jpg

I've been retired since 2006 but I had a kid to raise so I couldn't travel before. She's grown up now so it's time for dad to get to play some.
Yes with the long rear overhang of this thing I'll have to watch myself, but I also do plan on raising it a few inches and run a taller tire. It will be interesting to see how this works out once I start traveling.

I've been retired since 2006 but I had a kid to raise so I couldn't travel before. She's grown up now so it's time for dad to get to play some.
Yes with the long rear overhang of this thing I'll have to watch myself, but I also do plan on raising it a few inches and run a taller tire. It will be interesting to see how this works out once I start traveling.

425/65/22.5 are like 44.? Should work out perfectly!!!!!!!

Be extra careful with the slide-outs. They break easily. Another thing I learned is to only run the refrigerator when it's level.

Yep I learned that one the hard way on my old motorhome. The refer in my camper wasn't as picky but damn in the motorhome if off more than 5* it would fault out.

And yes slides can be a PITA. Got to keep them lubed and stuff. But after having a rig without slides I'll take the extra maintenance for the added space.

I've never had a rig with slide-outs, although I've been in enough of them just to look. I'm not sure I'd want one - they sound like a real hassle to keep up. *shrug* Maybe the old style tip-outs were better, dunno.

I've never had a rig with slide-outs, although I've been in enough of them just to look. I'm not sure I'd want one - they sound like a real hassle to keep up. *shrug* Maybe the old style tip-outs were better, dunno.

After having both IMO slides are a game changer. But like everything else they will need upkeep and maintenance. You also have to keep up on the seals or you'll get air leaks. Just like everything they all have their trade-offs.

After having both IMO slides are a game changer. But like everything else they will need upkeep and maintenance. You also have to keep up on the seals or you'll get air leaks. Just like everything they all have their trade-offs.
How about water leaks? That would be my primary concern.

How about water leaks? That would be my primary concern.

I've never had any issues but I also can't say that I've been in a bad storm. Now I've been in some heavy rain here in WA so I do consider that a test. Again if you don't keep up on the seals then you might have issues.

Reactions: lBasket and Zorba
Most of my experience has been slides getting stuck or coming off the tracks. I have also seen some damaged from driving with them open or partially opened. The RV really needs to be level and wheels locked before attempting to slide out.

Most of my experience has been slides getting stuck or coming off the tracks. I have also seen some damaged from driving with them open or partially opened. The RV really needs to be level and wheels locked before attempting to slide out.

Yes parking brake on & wheels chocked prior to putting the slides out. Why anyone would attempt too move their rig with their slides out is beyond me but I've seen people do it.