Host F550 4X4 Motorhome Quad Slide 330

I think that's the setup I'd go with. And like you said, add an end table with storage drawers in the extra space.

I'm not sure if I want a end table there or something taller like this. Storage is always at a premium so a few more drawers helps out. I'll have to think on it for a while.

1659823161919.png

I'm not sure if I want a end table there or something taller like this. Storage is always at a premium so a few more drawers helps out. I'll have to think on it for a while.

View attachment 348877

Great spot to store a/v remotes, keys, maps, phone/tablet chargers, and other things that always seem to go on walkabout all on their own from time to time.

Great spot to store a/v remotes, keys, maps, phone/tablet chargers, and other things that always seem to go on walkabout all on their own from time to time.

Yep, I'm sure whatever I put in there will get full in no time. I'll find something that fits in the drawers.

Canned goods should fit too so I could use the bottom two for food stuff and the top three for others. I've also got to try and figure out how tall of a unit I'd want in that space. The BIGGEST issue is that I'm limited to only 17" wide and really 16" would be better. And I've only found a few that are that narrow. and they were all pretty expensive for what you get.

Reactions: reddvltj
Hey Wildman! I'm a modder, I've been looking for a Host 330 QS for quite a while as the "next project" and have been collecting ANY information I can on the vehicle. While doing another search for one it lead me to this thread! I finally got around to making a profile to chat here with you and was wondering if I could ask for a couple pictures and any information on the "guts" of the camper part of the 330 from you as I cannot find anything spending hours scouring the web.

The main things I'm seeking,
#1 I can't find good pictures of the interior when the sides are in.
#2 Can't find interior pictures of only the passenger side slides out (for curb parking)
#3 I hate to ask because I realize you have a leg issue that I do not want to irritate. but ANY pictures of what the underside of the vehicle looks like to get an idea of what can be modded in / idea of clearances.
#4 Anything system wise for tanks, mounts, capacities, slide issues, insulation, what to watch out for, and so on. I'm all ears here as I've realized this is the only thing out there like this. You have something rare! Is there anything you're looking for on the vehicle? I've amassed a file of literally all the information I could save and download over the last 2 years.

Thank you for just reading this as my search for intel has been arduous.

-Anti, Energy efficiency modder from Ohio

Hey Wildman! I'm a modder, I've been looking for a Host 330 QS for quite a while as the "next project" and have been collecting ANY information I can on the vehicle. While doing another search for one it lead me to this thread! I finally got around to making a profile to chat here with you and was wondering if I could ask for a couple pictures and any information on the "guts" of the camper part of the 330 from you as I cannot find anything spending hours scouring the web.

The main things I'm seeking,
#1 I can't find good pictures of the interior when the sides are in.
#2 Can't find interior pictures of only the passenger side slides out (for curb parking)
#3 I hate to ask because I realize you have a leg issue that I do not want to irritate. but ANY pictures of what the underside of the vehicle looks like to get an idea of what can be modded in / idea of clearances.
#4 Anything system wise for tanks, mounts, capacities, slide issues, insulation, what to watch out for, and so on. I'm all ears here as I've realized this is the only thing out there like this. You have something rare! Is there anything you're looking for on the vehicle? I've amassed a file of literally all the information I could save and download over the last 2 years.

Thank you for just reading this as my search for intel has been arduous.

-Anti, Energy efficiency modder from Ohio

Give me a few days and I'll get some pictures for you. Depending on what you're wanting to do with one there is a Host 330 in Sumner, WA that is for sale. But it doesn't have the two rear slides. Instead it has 4 bunk beds and a rear door.

If you go back and look at the first couple of posts I think I listed all the tank sizes. Here is a review of the TS300 that gives some tank sizes. The standard fuel tank isn't a 70 gallon tank but a 38 or 40 gallon.

https://familyrvingmag.com/2008/07/01/the-host-300-ts/

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2008-Host-MOTORCOACH+330+4WD-5018279567

Thank you! I saw that other one, but I'm firm on looking for a QS model. I'm waiting for the right one to hit me, I've been hoping to find one with a blown engine or something as I've been saving for one and am over half way there for today's prices. But I want to swap engine / transmission and add a bunch of different things anyways. This chassis / configuration is one of the very few that have parts availability with the specs needed without going too far into class 6-8 vehicles that are in a whole other realm of mechanicals / weight.

But the "Depending on what you're wanting to do with one", you'd probably laugh at what I have planned / the story that led up to this as the last project didn't go exactly as planned lol.
Again I can't thank you enough for even considering as im dead set on getting one of these and have been collecting parts for about 2 years for it.

Since these are so rare I highly doubt you'd find one with a blown drivetrain but I'm sure anything is possible. And while the 6.0 or 6.4 aren't my first choice of a powerplant they can be made to live and las long as you're doing your maintenance there are some that have 300K miles on the clock.
I lucked out as mine was already deleted.
And no I wouldn't laugh at what you have planned since I've have some pretty crazy stuff I'd like to do to mine also.

BTW there is a Facebook group for the Host motorhomes. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1167760923783980 Good group of people and Aaron is doing some great work on his rig with plans to install 42" military tires. His engine blew on him so he has a built 6.4 now.

Reactions: RINC
A facebook group?!? o_O

Balls, how'd I miss that??
The story though, back 8 years ago I went down the path modifying MK4 TDIs for extreme fuel efficiency. It got to the point where I was spending summers randomly at a diesel college with similar minded people modding things out to the ends of the earth short of building a custom "road legal" vehicle. Long story short I have a (on diesel only) 104 mpg station wagon that I've ran on everything from natural gas, methanol, ammonia, propane, hydrous ethanol from cheap E85, Mild hybriding with BAS systems / wheel motors to outright alternator delete / run plug in lithium batteries from shucked laptop batteries I've been collecting from a scrap dealer. The project had to be tuned to the fuel but it was amazing... I traveled to the far reaches of Florida, Maine, Then northern wilds of Michigan where the fatal flaw of the project really emerged. The dang thing isn't big enough and hotels and other comfort infrastructure killed any economics of of getting triple digit fuel economy even when fuel is over $4 gallon. I have a tent that extends from wagon and everything, but it was too much to stay comfortable and capacity nearly maxed out for hills / needed even wider gearing and capacities for what I want.
At the time I was considering solar, and even a small EV as making your own fuel for travel and home just... beat everything by the math. Even my shop friends / other diesel modders are relenting to what can be done with electric if you have the shear batteries required. Well, I was lucky enough to find a cheap source of batteries and have almost enough to power a hybrid 330 or piggyback my home off the 330 + solar on the 330 &+ trailer...bonus will be I wont be taxed on home solar then to boot and can bring it anywhere I am. The plan evolved into a holistic solution to efficiency problems in home and travel. Add in a mix of modded generators (that can be easily worked on) extends range and utility significantly, or even am able to get the most out of campgrounds electric making travel even more affordable. The downside is the thing will be a turtle, however able to self charge slowly and "eventually get there...worst comes to worst" Plus its a guest house if I have family or friends visit from afar. Then you have all the tax benefits, RVs can be considered "an office" ... and also a work vehicle...the whole thing turns into a giant loophole. Usually the big boys end up like this: Huge semi-rv, but I want something "mid-size" and able to swap parts, and able to tow and so on. I looked at building my own, but the way things are titled and insured it becomes majorly problematic vs just building. I found this out as I was in the starting process of buying a F550 4x4 crew cab wrecker / aluminum flatbed vehicle hauler to build off of. The red tape shot it down in flames, even registering / insuring it was a "yeah... that'll be $$$$$ commercial insurance" even as a build RV... So... it needs to have an RV VIN... and here we are... Host 330 lol, the only thing that can do 33k# or more depending and fit the bill. I need that capacity mainly for the 250kw of batteries that will be mounted in a number of places and even seperated tow trailer. Estimates come out to 800w-1.2kw per mile with any of the 2-3 motors I've been looking to use for the RV and trailer propulsion both, more or less depending on terrain and weather. Sure, "its out there", but so are the 104-160mpg vehicles I work on, even the 1000s mpg smaller ones. Least I'd be able to be comfortable after all the travel or even visiting places! lol
And seeing this post + you're going to be towing a Jeep has me mightly envious! lol That basically my GF & I's dream, she wants to take her jeep lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman
WOW yep that is a little more than I would ever want to try. But sounds very interesting.

I took these pictures when I was first checking the rig out. Here is the delete pipes for the DPF.

20220614_104641.jpg

And this is the hyd pump for the leveling system.

20220614_104649.jpg

And then the fuel tank.

20220628_111318.jpg

One of the things you'll find out as you learn more about the Host built rigs is that every unit it seems was a little different than the last one. They offered different package levels and options based on what the customer ordered. If you got the full off-road package it came with the larger fuel tank and the winch bumper & a 12K lb winch. Like this one.

1660431358721.png

But this is what I'd like to do at some point with mine once I'm done doing all the other things.

1660431427497.png

Dude... I had no idea of the winch / larger tank packages as stock! I did note that interiors were mixed a bit too ...like a Quad slide with bunk bed model

9693644_13.jpg
corner style bath room sink .. vs the normal QS sink that is non-corner. seen a few where things are mounted slightly different too.

On the build ideas, yeah its a bit much, but its going to be an end all project for me, aside a "50 state road legal" golf cart / motorcycle I'm still looking to build. . . again with the loopholes lol.
Thank you so much for those pictures, I'm going to be looking at those quite a bit getting ideas how to do things!

9693644_16.jpg

9693644_17.jpg

Last edited:
OK you asked about the slides being in on the drivers side an dopen on the passenger side.
You can get thru and use the bedroom with just the pass side slide out.

20220818_155145.jpg

And while tight you could still get around the bed.

20220818_155154.jpg

And I'd guess you could use the recliners to sit in but I don't see you being able to recline them.

20220818_155907.jpg

With all 4 slides in it would be very hard to get to the bedroom area.

20220818_155916.jpg

I tried to take some shots of the underside, but they aren't the best.

These first shots are from behind the rear axle. I've got to get under it and do some cleaning. And need to measure and then order new shocks for it.

20220818_160020.jpg

20220818_160029.jpg

20220818_160038.jpg

And then in front of the rear axle.

20220818_160122.jpg

The propane tank.

20220818_160149.jpg

20220818_160154.jpg

Then looking forward towards the front of the rig.

20220818_160157.jpg

20220818_160244.jpg

Looking back towards the rear axle.

20220818_160337.jpg

That thing sure is sweet Rick, it's been fun following along.

Thanks. It's bigger than I'd originally planned but it'll be nice if I really do end up spending 8 month or more on the road.
Hopefully the Jeep is running and I'll be at TJFest 2023. Plus I hope to hit CO and run some trails once I can start traveling with the Jeep.