Hot under the hood

Erik V

TJ Enthusiast
Today when I got home from work I went to check my air filter and noticed it was HOT under the hood.
Does anyone make fender vents or hood vents to help cool the engine compartment down?

There are all kinds of vents/louvers available. Here's one from Poison Spyder:
J108188?$mproductlarge$&wid=810&hei=608.jpg

Not really my thing. I think I would use something off another vehicle, like a hood or fender vent from a GM product (Grand Prix, for example). Looks more "factory" when installed properly, and cheap from a wrecking yard (if you can find one). And there's always the old school way of doing it. Have a shop that customizes cars punch the louvers directly into the hood. It'll be expensive, because you'll also need to repaint the hood, but it'll look bitchin'!!! :cool:

... And there's always the old school way of doing it. Have a shop that customizes cars punch the louvers directly into the hood. It'll be expensive, because you'll also need to repaint the hood, but it'll look bitchin'!!! :cool:

Hot rod louvers would look the best. I've only seen it once on a TJ.

You're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

It's supposed to be hot under the hood. Adding hood vents won't improve your performance or anything like that.

If you're doing it for looks, I totally understand. Just don't do it with the impression that you'll gain anything performance wise, because you won't. Cooler engine temperatures don't equate to anything.

Only putting this out there because some people seem to fall for the myth that making your engine run cooler will some sort of performance gain... which it will not.

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
My only argument to let the heat escape is for the longevity of the under hood components. Heat degrades plastics and makes it brittle over time. It isn't a fix for today or tomorrow, but prevention many years from now.

I don't know if it is supposed to be hot under there. But the cooling system was designed with that condition in mind. I do know that venting along with a true cold air intake will over cool the engine.

Last edited:
My only argument to let the heat escape is for the longevity of the under hood components. Heat degrades plastics and makes it brittle over time. It isn't a fix for today or tomorrow, but prevention many years from now.

I don't know if it is supposed to be hot under there. But the cooling system was designed with that condition in mind. I do know that venting along with a true cold air intake will over cool the engine.
I was waiting to see if someone else would bring up the component degradation issue. Thanks. @jjvw. Also, when you shut the rig down, and there is no more air flow from the fan or the forward motion of the vehicle pushing the air through the radiator into the engine compartment, the temperatures soar for a bit before cooling down. Heat/thermal soak is fairly destructive to plastics and rubber, and any way you can reduce the time the engine bay stays hot is beneficial, as I see it. Just my viewpoint...

I'm not sure whether the component degradation thing in relation to a hood louvre can be 100% proven or not.

While I know that heat cycles will destroy things like plastic over time, the louver isn't by any means getting rid of the extreme temperatures under the hood. Cooling it down a bit? Sure. But not so much that the plastic parts aren't still being subjected to heat cycles.

Having said that, I'd have to see some sort of long term controlled test with two identical vehicles driven over X amount of years, one with a hood louvre, one without. My guess is that any components saved from degradation would be negligible at best.

I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm just saying without some serious real world data, I don't think you'd really be saving any of your plastic components.

But as far as looks go, I get it! Some guys just dig the look, and I can totally understand that!

Forgive me, I'm just being the skeptic in the room.

... the louver isn't by any means getting rid of the extreme temperatures under the hood. Cooling it down a bit? Sure. But not so much that the plastic parts aren't still being subjected to heat cycles.

Back when the Jeep was stock, I used to be able to cook food in the engine compartment. I can't do that any more. For real. :)