House Blinds Quote

Allstar424

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My morning rant... We were just quoted $4400 for new blinds for our house. Are you kidding me!? I about fell over reading the email... I wonder if all the HGTV shows are driving prices up? That just seems crazy to me.

My morning rant... We were just quoted $4400 for new blinds for our house. Are you kidding me!? I about fell over reading the email... I wonder if all the HGTV shows are driving prices up? That just seems crazy to me.

In my master bathroom we want to upgrade it. It has an old corner shower with no door, so we got a new quote on removing our corner shower and replacing the base with a glass door, and they came back with 7K. I don't have it to compare anything, but we decided to tackle ourselves. Maybe 7k is normal for a corner shower, but holy moly seems outrageous to me. I think I can just pull the base, and put a new base in, and engineer some kind of door system for tons less.

It is not like these guys were inventing anything. They were just replacing parts.

Reactions: Allstar424
Sounds about right. I bought a set of nice blinds for one window on our room and it was like $400 for just that one window. That being said, I could see $5000 being the price for the whole house.

Home ownership ain’t cheap, I can relate.

I just paid $8600 for all new vinyl windows in my house.

Sounds about right. I bought a set of nice blinds for one window on our room and it was like $400 for just that one window. That being said, I could see $5000 being the price for the whole house.

Home ownership ain’t cheap, I can relate.

I just paid $8600 for all new vinyl windows in my house.
Chris I paid 12K for my windows and that was 20 years ago. I need to replace 5 of them now due to moisture in between the panes. BTW my father in law spent $7500 for blinds on just 2 bigger windows...of course the mother in law had to have the remote control ones! I almost crapped myself when I heard that!

yeah those are not happening in either of my houses, Schlage at HD is fine for me.
Wasn’t much I could say, she earned the money. They’re really nice but very few people say more than “they’re nice”. Honestly I would be embarrassed if people actually knew, I’m just not that person. I will only discuss on here because no one knows me and most likely never will.
The world is full of “stuff” you just have to be exposed to it.

Chris I paid 12K for my windows and that was 20 years ago. I need to replace 5 of them now due to moisture in between the panes. BTW my father in law spent $7500 for blinds on just 2 bigger windows...of course the mother in law had to have the remote control ones! I almost crapped myself when I heard that!

Not surprised at all. I shopped around and got about 6 different window quotes. They ranged from 25k for 15 windows to 7k. I went with the company (Window World) that had one of the best reputations and came highly referred from my brother in law who is a union plumber.

Anyways, owning a house ain’t cheap. I’ve got at least 50k worth of projects that need to happen over the next several years.

Remote control blinds? Ha! That’s just one more thing to break. That’s pure laziness if you ask me ;)

Not surprised at all. I shopped around and got about 6 different window quotes. They ranged from 25k for 15 windows to 7k. I went with the company (Window World) that had one of the best reputations and came highly referred from my brother in law who is a union plumber.

Anyways, owning a house ain’t cheap. I’ve got at least 50k worth of projects that need to happen over the next several years.

Remote control blinds? Ha! That’s just one more thing to break. That’s pure laziness if you ask me ;)
I am well over 100K into my house, 40K last year alone for new paver patio and pool improvement...but I still have piece of mind paid $219,000 for the house and is worth in the $600,000 now. I also had about 25 windows in my house.

I am well over 100K into my house, 40K last year alone for new paver patio and pool improvement...but I still have piece of mind paid $219,000 for the house and is worth in the $600,000 now. I also had about 25 windows in my house.

The nice thing about a house though (as you know), is that at least it isn't a depreciating asset. Generally speaking, if the economy / housing market is good, you'll get your money back for the most part.

Chris I paid 12K for my windows and that was 20 years ago. I need to replace 5 of them now due to moisture in between the panes.

I don't know what brand your windows are but if they are still in good working condition, getting the insulated panels replaced should be much cheaper than replacing the whole windows. I ran a glass shop and did stuff like this almost every day.

Reactions: cliffish
I don't know what brand your windows are but if they are still in good working condition, getting the insulated panels replaced should be much cheaper than replacing the whole windows. I ran a glass shop and did stuff like this almost every day.
yes, just getting 5 panels replaced at $225 ea installed. It is one of my customers so we basically are just trading work for these,

yes, just getting 5 panels replaced at $225 ea installed. It is one of my customers so we basically are just trading work for these,
I love those types of deals. I always fuck with them right up to the point where they just about quit and walk away.
One question gets them to that point quickly. "How much does all of your stuff cost so I know what to charge for mine?" They get a funny look on their face and then I tell them that the first liar in this game don't stand a chance so I need to know how much my crap is worth and it's worth slightly more than theirs is.

I love those types of deals. I always fuck with them right up to the point where they just about quit and walk away.
One question gets them to that point quickly. "How much does all of your stuff cost so I know what to charge for mine?" They get a funny look on their face and then I tell them that the first liar in this game don't stand a chance so I need to know how much my crap is worth and it's worth slightly more than theirs is.
I have been doing his work for 20 years, know him well. This is the first time we have bartered, I don't do it very much specifically for the reasons you mentioned.

Don't know where we are right now but I'm trying to get the last section of short garden/retaining wall done from the end of the existing one to the street. It's about 40 feet long, roughly 4 feet high, 8" CMU, grouted solid, #4 every other cell and continuous every other row. They want 9500 dollars. The last section was about the same, it was 3000. It did not go down a small slope, but it is still in the same rock.

Wasn’t much I could say, she earned the money. They’re really nice but very few people say more than “they’re nice”. Honestly I would be embarrassed if people actually knew, I’m just not that person. I will only discuss on here because no one knows me and most likely never will.

Tell Chris I said Hi. ;)
The world is full of “stuff” you just have to be exposed to it.
When I was in construction, we built some very custom homes. Homeowner walks in one day carrying a crystal paperweight. Says they want to turn that into the lens for the small recessed can lights around the perimeter of the formal dining room. There were 20 of them. We took it, a can light and found a company to cut and polish them to fit. Sent the can lights out to fulfill their request that they be gold plated and the springs beefed up to hold the heavier weight of the heavy crystal. It was mind boggling how much that cost. They had wallpaper put in the powder room that was 500 dollars a roll in 95.

When we moved into our new build home I got a quote for blinds. Needless to say I bought all the blinds from Lowe’s and did the whole house myself in 2 days.

Reactions: Artemis
When we moved into our new build home I got a quote for blinds. Needless to say I bought all the blinds from Lowe’s and did the whole house myself in 2 days.
I am building new in PA, and every where you turn is upgrade cost for this, your allowance for this is X amount. I have created spreadsheets just so the $300 here, $500 there does not add up to 30 grand.

Reactions: UpperMI and jazngab