House fire

ac_

zombicon
Supporting Member
Hi guys,

Been pretty busy last few weeks. On the three day weekend on Saturday, wife was cleaning the garage and putting up Christmas decorations in the attic and getting ready to put her TJ hard top hanger up. I was out back working on her TJ swapping the rearend, and she started screaming. I ran to the front , and my neighbor was yelling her name. As I was running up, I could see flames coming out of the eaves and vents in the roof, so I ran into her garage and up into the attic, and knew it was too late. I ran down and moved her car out of the driveway while another neighbor ran in to get Robyn and find the cats. Once I got the cars all out of the way, I could see the neighbor and Robyn running out with the cats. Then the 4 adjoining cities each came with two fire trucks. It was mayhem.

Anyway, that is why I haven't been around lately. We have been homeless and now finally renting a new home while ours is getting rebuilt.

It was crazy, nothing I have ever experienced before. Lucky I have great home owners insurance so far. We have Amica and they just jumped right in and started taking care of everything including taking care of us and the cats. We are doing good despite everything. It is difficult working and taking care of everything. I haven't had much time to work on the Jeep and the temps are now into the triple digits so It is difficult but I am planning on getting under the Jeep this weekend stay tuned for updates.

Here is a couple of pictures of the devastation.

Hopefully I will have some good after pictures in a few months!

I am hoping now that we are finally in a house now, that I can come back here and play again soon.

Wow, it’s just good to hear you guys are alright!

How did this happen, or do you know?

I’m assuming your home owners insurance will cover it?

Is the house completely burned down or just part of it?

Man, talk about crazy. Again, I’m just glad you’re all okay!

Reactions: ac_
The whole attic burned, but to get to it the firefighters had to pull the complete ceiling down. Then they filled the Attic, and the floor of the house with about 3 feet of foam, and created massive water damage, so I got a fire on the top and flood on the bottom; equals they are going to demo it down to the frame. I am going to get a frame-up resto.

Yeah the insurance company is going to rebuild the house, and cover the stuff that was in it. Also footing the bill for all of the clean-up.

I didn't get an actual cause, but I am assuming Robyn hit a wire in the attic, because it happened about 1/2 after she was down from there. I am betting some wiring sparked and caught something just right. Then it being 100 degrees and super dry it was like watching an old Christmas tree go up.

• Sad
Reactions: Chris and b0xcar
I’m sorry to hear this. I know the pain and anxiety. Mine was struck by lightning in 2006. It was a long and stressful time, but know that it will get better.

Wow. i'm happy to hear you and Robin got out in time. (cats too) Sounds like you had enough time to get out a few things. That must have been a scary / intense time. Hopefully when it's all done your happy with your new home. How does the insurance work for this. Do they give you a budget and it's up to you to find contractors to rebuild / furnish it within the allowed amount or do they just attempt to build it back to the same quality?

Was wondering what happened to you, friend. Never would have thought something like this! Truly sorry to hear of this, @ac_, but as I'm sure you're aware, it definitely could have been much worse. Buildings can be rebuilt. We'll just leave it at that. Take care.

Wow Sorry to hear about your home...Looks like you were all very lucky (including the cats) Lucky you Jeep wasn't in the garage with the axle off too, you might never have got it out in time.
All the very best in the rebuild buddy.

Oh man. Sorry to hear about this. Glad everyone is ok and that you have some temporary shelter.

Fires are so scary. It's good that they're rebuilding from the frame. Water and smoke damage is almost impossible to clean.

Ho Lee Fook...glad to hear you're alright.
Wishing you a fast and painless rebuild.

Linux, you already know I’m praying for you. Glad you found a place to rent and Amica is treating you stellar. Looking forward to you getting back in the garage and back here to play. Rest easy...work hard.

It’s a sad club to join but you'll find it really sets your priorities straight. In my experience it’ll take longer than you think, the results will be better than you imagine and it won’t scar your pets for life. But it does suck a lot, we were out over a third of a year and our fire wasn’t as damaging. One good thing, the ozone generators they use to de-smoke your remaining possessions really do work...six years later I still haven’t gotten any whiff of smoke and the day after the fire our place smelled like a malfunctioning bbq pit. Good luck with your rebuild, patience will guide you well.

The icing on the cake here of course is that you get a new house for the most part :)

Where are you guys staying in the meantime?

Sorry to hear man, that is rough. Glad you have a place again and everyone is okay, even if just a rental. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.

Reactions: JMT and ac_
Sorry to hear this but glad everyone is okay including the pets. About two weeks ago I was driving home I seen big black smoke coming from a house I passed by no firefighters were on the scene. I had been looking at it for about 10min until I got on scene. A couple cars stoped we all got out everyone looked confused because the neighbors were on their phone just recording. One of the guys who also stopped immediately started running to the house yelling for everyone to get out. The old lady didn’t even know her house was on fire and it’s sad because all the neighbors were to busy recording for they can upload it to there social media. Two husky looking dogs were just running in the front yard panicking and barking. Turns out the huskies just had puppies and were being heated up by a heater in the garage. I only seen the firefighters take out one puppy. Fire started in the garage by the heater I assume then the fire worked it’s way to the house.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: JMT and ac_
Dude! That is crazy brah! Glad you and yours is ok and unhurt, physically at least. Also glad you were able to save the jeeps. Priorities, right? Lol! Reset button, engage!