How are you carrying extra fuel in your TJ?

I would really like to have a Genright "Safari" 31.5 gal. fuel tank for my LJR in lieu of jerry cans, but at $2,000 it is nowhere near the top of my list. (Neither is the "Extended Range" 24.5 gal tank at $1,400.) Too many competing needs for my jeep dollars. Maybe someday.

For now I'll have to make do with my Rock Hard 4x4 can brackets ($126 x 2), Wavian NATO style gas can ($70?) and Pro-Quip 22l water can with spigot ($49).

But if anyone knows where I can find a used but not abused Genright "Safari" or "Extended Range" tank at a good price, let me know.

Current set up:

Rear of Jeep.jpg

View out the rear window:

View out rear window with gear packed 05 05 19.jpg

I like your thinking, and figure you are as familiar with the Jeep after market as am I. Here's what I've done for my TJ: a GenRight extended range fuel tank and steel skid adds 5 to 6 gallons to the OEM capacity and keeps it down between the frame rails, as the Jeep Gods intended; the MorRyde tailgate hinges move the hinge function outboard, leaving enough room for a plate mount that accepts a 2 gallon RotoPax (gas or water); both sides now have frame mounted MorRyde 2" receiver jerry can carriers between the door hinges and front flares and they are not noticeable unless the can trays are in place, then they can carry full 20 liter cans or a pair of 2 gallon RotoPaxes each or ammo cans with recovery gear, etc.

With just the internal tank, my range is 375 miles (4.0, 3550, 3.73 on 31s, leaving 3 gallons in the tank) on Texas hill country back roads. The external capacity is another 2 to 12 gallons, but only when I want it, for a total max range pushing 600 miles. Prudent usage means filling the outside cans at the last pre-trail opportunity and emptying them as soon as possible.

I'm a fan of multiple use functions, too. With another 2" receiver in the winch cavity of the ARB front bumper, I'll have such receivers on all four sides, perfect for mounting a windproof hail cover for those of us in thunderstorm country. Strong frame mounted receivers could also be useful for camping equipment or job site tool mounts.

Those of you who are also fans of understated or inconspicuous Jeep capabilities will appreciate some of these mods.
Do you have sliders? I was looking at those but I'm not sure if they would work with the rail on my sliders

Everyone has different needs. As noted above, my jerry cans are usually empty unless there is a reason to fill them.

Here is one example of a situation where carrying additional fuel is not only prudent, the failure to carry additional fuel would be risky at best:

In December and January I will be traveling the length of Baja California. One particular stretch on the route back north is 225 miles between Pemex stations. There is no cell service. No AAA.

19 gallons x 16 mpg = 304 miles, plenty of gas on paper. However, 16 mpg is highway mileage on a good day. Not every jeep gets that mileage and the fuel mileage threads on the various jeep forums contain numerous posts from jeepers who regularly get only 12-14 mpg in their TJ's. 14 mpg nets only 266 miles and 12 mpg only 228 miles, i.e. fumes as one rolls into that Pemex station after 225 miles. What if it is slow going or something goes awry? What if that Pemex station at the end of the 225 miles is out of fuel as often happens during the holiday season when so many Mexican families and American tourists are traveling? The next Pemex station is 60 miles farther with no guarantee that it will have fuel if the first one doesn't.

In this situation it would be foolhardy not to carry at least 5 gallons of additional gasoline. [And some cerveza. :)]

Su experiencia puede ser diferente.
I'll give you 100 dollars for every member on here who will have the same requirements for fuel as in there is a real possibility they may actually not find fuel before they empty a normal tank under normal wheeling conditions barring a mechanical issue. To get the 100 per, all you have to do is give me 1 single solitary dollar for every member on this board who will never need the extra fuel due to never being on the same type run. Deal?

That is a stupid bet. ;)

Just because those of us who may require additional fuel are outnumbered by those who don't doesn't mean we don't exist. There are plenty off offroad explorers in Death Valley, Northern Nevada, Southwestern Utah, Baja California, and probably parts of Arizona as well who would be prudent to carry additional fuel, not just for themselves but for others they may encounter who might need it. Whether they are members of this or any other internet forum is irrelevant.

And let's not forget those who may need to schlep an extra 5 gallons to a three-day-weekend base camp in order to have enough gas for multiple day runs and to get back to the closest gas station at the conclusion of the festivities. They may not carry extra gas on the day runs but they have to get the gas to camp and carry the empty container home.

As I said, everyone's needs are different. For every example of when extra gas is unnecessary there will be an example of when it is. And vice versa.

Ding . . . Ding . . . Ding

New Jerry Can Scenario!

The NorCal guys will identify with this.

A jeeping buddy just stopped by to have a beer and b.s. about the Trail Hero event he recently attended in Utah. I mentioned this jerry can discussion and with no prompting he exclaimed,

"Dude, I get my electricity from PG&E. We just got power back after 4 days without because of the wind. No power means gas stations can't pump gas. If I didn't have my jerry cans I'da been screwed."

Last edited:
Do you have sliders? I was looking at those but I'm not sure if they would work with the rail on my sliders

I had the same concern, as I have Durango stainless steel rockers installed (long out of production). They drop only a bit below the body and stick out less than an inch, I think, so there is plenty of clearance for the MorRyde can carriers. It's dark here now, but I could take some measurements tomorrow if it would help. Otherwise, I would call MorRyde or message jscherb (the designer) on the more inclusive forum.

Reactions: Steel City 06
I had the same concern, as I have Durango stainless steel rockers installed (long out of production). They drop only a bit below the body and stick out less than an inch, I think, so there is plenty of clearance for the MorRyde can carriers. It's dark here now, but I could take some measurements tomorrow if it would help. Otherwise, I would call MorRyde or message jscherb (the designer) on the more inclusive forum.

The issue I have had with the moryde jerry can frame mount as a solution is that for the >99.999% of the time most offroaders use their rig, they don't need spare fuel. It's a pretty hard case in my mind to say you should have the 2" receiver mounts on one (or both) sides for that exceptionally rare trip. Most of us would get hung up on that specific design constantly as they are a direct conflict to sliders.

I'm not opposed to carrying spare fuel when necessary (nor would the average user here I bet), however I think the issue is more around having/using/needing dedicated mounts for that rare case. The altruistic reason of "in case I see someone else that needs it" is nice, but even more rare. I'd probably gauge my level/distance and siphon before carrying spare fuel specifically for that even more exceptionally rare case.

Reactions: jjvw
That is a stupid bet. ;)

Just because those of us who may require additional fuel are outnumbered by those who don't doesn't mean we don't exist. There are plenty off offroad explorers in Death Valley, Northern Nevada, Southwestern Utah, Baja California, and probably parts of Arizona as well who would be prudent to carry additional fuel, not just for themselves but for others they may encounter who might need it. Whether they are members of this or any other internet forum is irrelevant.

And let's not forget those who may need to schlep an extra 5 gallons to a three-day-weekend base camp in order to have enough gas for multiple day runs and to get back to the closest gas station at the conclusion of the festivities. They may not carry extra gas on the day runs but they have to get the gas to camp and carry the empty container home.

As I said, everyone's needs are different. For every example of when extra gas is unnecessary there will be an example of when it is. And vice versa.
My entire point is what makes it a stupid bet. Very few actually need a way to carry extra fuel and in fact, the vast majority of those wanting to know how to are also what makes it a stupid bet and that isn't to make light of your wonderful upcoming adventure. BTW- if there was accuracy in the statement of examples, it wouldn't be a stupid bet. ;)

Reactions: jjvw
Ding . . . Ding . . . Ding

New Jerry Can Scenario!

The NorCal guys will identify with this.

A jeeping buddy just stopped by to have a beer and b.s. about the Trail Hero event he recently attended in Utah. I mentioned this jerry can discussion and with no prompting he exclaimed,

"Dude, I get my electricity from PG&E. We just got power back after 4 days without because of the wind. No power means gas stations can't pump gas. If I didn't have my jerry cans I'da been screwed."
Yes, because the historical rate of PG&E shutting off power has been so frequent that we all need extra fuel now. Does the tail ever quit wagging the dog?

Clearly you didn't live through last year's Carr Fire or the Camp Fire in Paradise or the fires in Mendocino and Sonoma counties.

Extended power shutoffs during wind alerts are the new normal in NorCal, at least until the population complains enough that Gavin Newsom's democrat controlled legislature provides public utility companies with more statutory protection from mass lawsuits. However, our Governor seems more interested in blaming PG&E for every decision it makes rather than accept any responsibility for a state government that has imposed so many environmental restrictions that routine maintenance/forest management has become prohibitively expensive or impossible to perform.

Political rant over, back to the other rant.

OP asked how forum members are carrying extra fuel, not whether it is necessary or whether he should. Those are entirely different questions, the answers to which depend upon one's particular circumstances.

OP asked how forum members are carrying extra fuel, not whether it is necessary or whether he should. Those are entirely different questions, the answers to which depend upon one's particular circumstances.
Once had a good friend badger us repeatedly about who could build him a Dana 44 for his 98 TJ that would retain the ABS tone rings. After many anxious discussions he finally found that Dynatrac would do it, not economically but it could get done. He paid, got the axle all installed up and about 5 trips in at JV, bent a rear axle. No warranty and the replacement was expensive since it was custom. 6 trips in, he finally agreed that the value of a hub kit was worthwhile an installed one up front now rendering the ABS function useless.

Since then, I tend to poke around the edges a bit to try and determine need and intent because he would have saved an assload of money and aggravation with a simple bolt in 44 out of a TJ that used off the shelf parts.

As for the fire stuff, they are not unique to NorCal. Not to make light of anyone's devastation but I was very near the one that started in Laguna Canyon that ripped up the coast. The one that burned down to the back of Lake Elsinore was only a few miles away. The one that ripped up and down the coast up to Fallbrook and then across the Cajon pass stranded us in JV for a bit. We had to travel way far out of our way to get home since all the normal routes were closed. We had one not long ago down south a bit. We had another one that burned towards the hills in Murrietta. There is currently one going on a bit north that is on the news right now. Not good, not fun, and I don't wish them on anyone. We also live in some zone that the insurance companies have deemed high risk so it is a struggle to get fire insurance. I am not immune to the needs of anyone living in a fire zone. ;)

The altruistic reason of "in case I see someone else that needs it" is nice, but even more rare. I'd probably gauge my level/distance and siphon before carrying spare fuel specifically for that even more exceptionally rare case.

My reason for carrying extra fuel in remote areas just in case I need it or someone else needs it isn't altruistic, it is payback for someone helping me when I really needed it.

On July 20, 1969 I was an 18-year-old kid driving with my girlfriend in my beat up old Corvair from the Inland Empire in Southern California to a vacation house on Balboa Island that her family had rented for the week. We were in a hurry to get to our destination to watch the moon landing as was everyone else in America.

Murphy's Law was in full force that day and we had a blow out. Not only that, I was a broke college student and had already used my spare for the last blow out. Not only that, we were almost out of gas. There we were, stranded by the side of the road with traffic whizzing by, cars full of people oblivious to our plight. No one looked at us and no one stopped. I could see in my girlfriend's eyes that I was dead meat.

Suddenly, a guy driving a Corvair even older and more beat up than mine pulled over, yanked a tire out of his trunk, scribbled his address on a piece of paper, told me to return his spare when I was done with it, then drove off. He never even asked for my name.

I was so impressed by what the man did for us and how trusting he was that as soon as I could get my tire fixed I drove 85 miles to his house to return his tire that same day. He wouldn't take money and instead asked me to always be willing to help those in need. I promised him that I would.

I have tried to honor that promise, and still think of that man whenever I encounter a jeeper who needs a tool, spare part, gallon of gasoline and yes, even my spare tire. But I'm not nearly as pure-hearted as he was. I stay with my stuff and don't drive off unless it is to follow my tire to the tire repair shop so I can get it back. And I'm not so altruistic that I won't accept a few dollars for a gallon or two of gasoline.

BTW - We got to Balboa Island 10 minutes before the moon landing - just in time.

Made some rough measurements for the MorRyde TJ can carrier, mounted driver side on my 2000 Sport. Top of horizontal square tube that fits into the frame mounted hitch receiver is about 3/16" below the bottom of the tub. This tube turns up quite some distance from the body before reaching the can carrier attachment, the back of which is about 1 3/4" from the body. As you can see below, there is room for a rocker with a tube step as long as the structure lies less than 1/8" below the body line.

IMG_0478.jpg

Reactions: psrivats
Made some rough measurements for the MorRyde TJ can carrier, mounted driver side on my 2000 Sport. Top of horizontal square tube that fits into the frame mounted hitch receiver is about 3/16" below the bottom of the tub. This tube turns up quite some distance from the body before reaching the can carrier attachment, the back of which is about 1 3/4" from the body. As you can see below, there is room for a rocker with a tube step as long as the structure lies less than 1/8" below the body line.

View attachment 119644
I shudder anytime I see a Jeep with a gas can mounted like that. I keep thinking what could happen if they get t-boned and cover in fuel.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Alot of us bought our Jeeps for a variety of reasons. Other than just taking on offroad trails. We aren't worried about the gas or water cans on the outside of our Jeeps. Like a person rock crawling might. As some of us keep generally to roads on a map. Whether it be a Forest Service road or an old logging road or that clogged freeway during a disaster. As our uses for a Jeep are different.

Hunting for one comes to mind. Which I only do in the PNW. Once in camp I wouldn't want to drive back down to civilization (this is out west where distances are greater. not hunting on your uncle's farm in a blind. and the hunt might go on for a couple weeks.) to get more gas. Not to mention it gives you the freedom to cross that additional pass or into that next national forest without having to figure out where your going to get gas. You can spend a great deal of time in great swaths of land across WA, OR, ID and MT. Without running into a single gas station. I'm sure there are even greater distances between gas stations across America.

I also live in the armpit of america at the moment - Los Angeles. And I find it quite viable that I may have to drive out of LA during a disaster - man made or otherwise. LA freeways can go on for hours. And in a disaster (fire, flood, riot - what have you.) gas may not be available at your next exit. Or you may not want to sit at that long line for gas at the exit. And just want to keep going and get the hell out. Alot of us bought Jeeps with at least one use in mind that revolves around getting out of a disaster.

During the last riots here it was very apparent. That if a real disaster took over LA. Which is very probable considering all the natural disasters happening. And the real possibility of a man made disaster here. That things would devolve fairly quickly. The LA basin alone has over 25m people in it. I live in a very nice neighborhood. But it lies less than a mile or two from some of the worst areas in the city. Which are populated by millions of people. If another riot broke out. I would not want to be sheltering in place. I'd want to drive north. And get the hell out of here. I also don't want to have to stop at god knows what gas station. With god knows who waiting in a long angry line for gas. LA isn't full of just nice people like maybe Omaha is. LA is a mixed bag. And that angry mob will very likely be exiting together. And vying for everything from gas to water to food.

Road trips also come to mind. When I was a kid we were gone hunting, fishing, hiking or camping on any given weekend. My father always had a pickup. Usually with a camper on it. He had dual tanks. Got better gas mileage than a Jeep. And still carried extra gas cans. We lived in the PNW and never knew how far we would go on any weekend. My father was adventurous like that. We might drive to Canada. Or Montana. On a weekend. And never really know where the next gas was. That's different today with cell service and what not. But it's nice to know that while driving across Montana at midnight. That if you did run low on gas. And everything is closed. You've got some to spare.

Not to mention. The Jeep TJ has some of the worst gas mileage. When that disaster hits or that need to drive a long distance in the middle of the night hits. You may not have topped off recently. You may only have half a tank or a quarter. And let's face it. Your not gonna get far on a quarter of a tank. With gas cans you've still got some reserve to draw on. Whether a gas station is accessible or not. It may mean the difference between making it out or not. Yes. I try to keep my tank topped off. But that isn't always perfect. I frequently end up with a quarter tank before I take the time to top off. It just happens that way sometimes.

Those are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many other reasons to carry extra fuel and water. I think the question is how to best do that - safely.

I think the Moryde side mounts are probably the safest. Followed by the tire carrier mounts. IT's a toss up to me whether to carry them low or high on a tire carrier. Low they are more likely to get hit in a collision. But up high they seem like they turn into projectiles anyway. So I'm not sure. Generally speaking I like the tire carriers that hold the tire and gas cans low. Simply for better vision out the rear end of your Jeep.

Carrying inside does not seem like an alternative. Unless your traveling alone. And have no need for interior space. The extra large gas tanks seem nice. But horribly expensive. I think if you went with a couple moryde side mounts and a can or two on your tire carrier you'd be good. But I'd search out your tire carrier choice to make sure it comes with gas can brackets. Some don't.

So some of us don't have rock crawling or even off roading in mind when thinking about extra gas cans. The reasons are many. I'm sure if all your thinking about is accessing that offroad trail. Extra gas isn't that great of a concern. But if you use your Jeep as your main means of transportation. I can see the very real need for extra gas and water.

This is my old tire carrier setup I made years ago, I can replace the coolers with two 5gal cans. Not ideal with the top on but it works when I need it. I still have it sitting around, just kinda have a different setup now that doesn’t hold fuel. The cool thing is when I built that one the tire bolts onto a spare unit bearing and break rotor.

A85B1366-E0C2-446B-945F-DF1A4EBC0EB8.jpeg

E12E1C3F-61CB-456C-B6BD-AF220B07CCD0.jpeg

Reactions: DrDmoney
Well put, Moab. The side carriers are sized for jerry cans, but can also carry water, recovery equipment or camping gear. And, the receiver design nearly disappears when the carriers are removed. Also, one can weld up specialty carriers for other types of gear.