How are you carrying extra fuel in your TJ?

Well put, Moab. The side carriers are sized for jerry cans, but can also carry water, recovery equipment or camping gear. And, the receiver design nearly disappears when the carriers are removed. Also, one can weld up specialty carriers for other types of gear.

Agreed. Maybe even carry water on the tire carrier and gas on the side mounts. Might be the safest. Just wish those side mounts weren't so damn expensive. They say patent pending. But I can't believe anyone hasn't thought of that before. Seems to me I've seen older Jeeps with side mounted gas cans before.

. . . Seems to me I've seen older Jeeps with side mounted gas cans before.

361b7a3a34db016f95f19516f1a1d20c-jpg.jpg

Made some rough measurements for the MorRyde TJ can carrier, mounted driver side on my 2000 Sport. Top of horizontal square tube that fits into the frame mounted hitch receiver is about 3/16" below the bottom of the tub. This tube turns up quite some distance from the body before reaching the can carrier attachment, the back of which is about 1 3/4" from the body. As you can see below, there is room for a rocker with a tube step as long as the structure lies less than 1/8" below the body line.

View attachment 119644
Thanks! Is that with or without a body lift?

^^^ Very nice.
I have needed gas a time or two and shared gas more often. I’ve been wheeling since the mid 70’s so I’m not just carrying it to look cool. There are times when you make trips out from camp and back where “going to the gas station” is not an option.
Better to have it and not need it than the opposite.
I also carry extra toilet paper (2 rolls of the RV kind)

Last edited:
Reactions: Shamu
I’m thinking about getting one of these with two rotopax.

Rock Slide Engineering AC-TR-102S Tire Rack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5JWUZ6/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Just bought one of those after removing my Rock Hard 4x4 tire & gas can swing-out. Trying to lighten her load after my last trip to the Maze District in Utah. See if 2 x 3gal cans will fit & be supported by the RSE carrier after I install my just arrived Morryde Tailgate Reinforcement this weekend.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Everyone has different needs. As noted above, my jerry cans are usually empty unless there is a reason to fill them.

Here is one example of a situation where carrying additional fuel is not only prudent, the failure to carry additional fuel would be risky at best:

In December and January I will be traveling the length of Baja California. One particular stretch on the route back north is 225 miles between Pemex stations. There is no cell service. No AAA.

19 gallons x 16 mpg = 304 miles, plenty of gas on paper. However, 16 mpg is highway mileage on a good day. Not every jeep gets that mileage and the fuel mileage threads on the various jeep forums contain numerous posts from jeepers who regularly get only 12-14 mpg in their TJ's. 14 mpg nets only 266 miles and 12 mpg only 228 miles, i.e. fumes as one rolls into that Pemex station after 225 miles. What if it is slow going or something goes awry? What if that Pemex station at the end of the 225 miles is out of fuel as often happens during the holiday season when so many Mexican families and American tourists are traveling? The next Pemex station is 60 miles farther with no guarantee that it will have fuel if the first one doesn't.

In this situation it would be foolhardy not to carry at least 5 gallons of additional gasoline. [And some cerveza. :)]

Su experiencia puede ser diferente.

Why am I not invited?

I don't care for all that weight on the tailgate or swingout, nor behind the rear axle. In fact I provisioned my rig to carry my spare inside partly because of that reason. Same with a 5 gal tank of gas (or 2?). I do have provision to mount a nato can on the (bestop tire carrier and I do store a total of 3 Nato cans in the garage. But I live 300 ft from the gulf so there is a risk of having to evacuate. In that case I mount 1 can on the Jeep (flat against the tailgate) and carry the 2 others on the small camp trailer (which is loaded with important docs, etc as well as things I may need to recovery from any damage once the storm is past). I can then be assured I will have enuf gas to fully evacuate even if the evacuation routes are only creeping along, or worse. I also have enuf to share with someone who didn't fill up on the way out of town.

But for daily driving, why carry the weight, same with the 100 lb spare tire.

I changed tires and went from a best of 17mpg to 22mpg. With a 19gallon tank thats an extra 95miles between gas stations.
DSC_0013.jpeg

7.50R16s on 16x6.5 rims with 5.25" backspace.

Is it also common that the fuel gauge never shows full after filling up?
yes, it takes mine a few minutes to move to full after fueling, but it seems sort of accurate. And the low fuel light is incredibly accurate. In Canadian terms, the light comes on when 15 liters are left. Giving me maybe 40 miles to empty... and accurate everytime.

Last edited: