How are you carrying extra fuel in your TJ?

I'm never far enough away from a station to need more, but like the 15 gal tank that mounts behind the spare tire idea.

I don't anymore. My rear carrier used to have room for two jerry cans. But I never needed the extra gas when I had it and I never had the extra gas the few times I might have needed it. Even then, I have never run out of gas, despite filling the tank with over 19 gallons multiple times.

I follow the manufacturer's gas gauge calibration. It says empty when there's 4+ gallons left.

If you stay close to a gas station that is super, thanks for sharing.

When I need extra I carry two regular 5gal cans on my rear bumper. The cans are pretty cheap these days. When I'm really out in the sticks I see Cherokees and 4runners and they simply strap plastic cans on roof racks. I don't have a roof so that wasn't going to work for me but cheap plastic cans aren't a bad idea if you only do a few long runs a year.

Triple purpose!
b1a0d34c0ae342e1b21dd943e244f499.jpg

That very exposed gas container wouldn't last long in my wheeling conditions.
I’ve never had a problem yet, just have to be careful reversing into trees. I relocated the spare to inside after catching it a few times while dropping off ledges in Moab last month and will reposition the fuel can to the middle of the carrier soon.

I stopped carrying extra fuel 15 years ago, I figured out it just isn't needed for 99.9% of us on 99.9% of the trails. It seems the newer the Jeeper the more apt they are to feel the need to carry extra fuel. Not to mention our gas gauges are notoriously and grossly pessimistic indicating we're almost out of gas when there's usually still 3-5 gallons left.

Last edited: