How bad is this rust?

Lirik Brucaj

Hi I am preparing for winter with some por 15 and Eastwood internal frame coating and I found some pretty bad rust spots on my passenger side of my frame is this safe to drive with? How should I go about treating this.

IMG_1948.JPG

IMG_1949.JPG

IMG_1950.JPG

IMG_1951.JPG

My divers side frame is actually not nearly as bad with no big holes like the passenger side. I want to know if the jeep is safe to keep or should I get rid of it when I bought the jeep in June I thought the frame was in great condition for the year but now I am having second guesses

IMG_1952.JPG

IMG_1953.JPG

IMG_1954.JPG

IMG_1955.JPG

Damn, that's some bad rust. If it looks like that underneath, I guarantee you that there is much more rust lurking where the tub meets the frame (on top of the frame) and probably inside the frame.

I've seen used frames (but rust free ones) go for around $2000. You could buy a clean frame and swap it over. That's what I would do personally, but the Safe-T caps will work as well.

Reactions: fourpointzero
Yeah...that frame is in trouble. In isn't going to snap in half, but it's not long for this world, I'm afraid.

I would look at getting a new frame if I was in love with the Jeep. If not, you might be able to sell it...but you'll probably take a loss.

You sell it, you'll be at a loss for sure. You need frame rails from the front control arm brackets back to the arch, where the upper control arms attach. Safe-t-cap sells them but all in with labor, you're talking about $2400. And that doesn't guarantee that you won't see the rust return in some other place. If everything else is good such as the engine, tub, suspension, and all mechanicals, it may be worth a frame swap.

In the NE, without a garage, I truly believe its a matter of time before any TJ rots. Though, I also believe preventative maintenance helps preserve and possibly keep rust at bay if you don't.

Im helping a buddy look for a 'new' TJ and half of what we see looks like the below attachments:

87c341d22a2356f1d7b9a32ae7678697.jpg
87a866490fbdd34dbc60449b7fb75e41.jpg
7b2ddf6c040bd32e5bc873818b3770c9.jpg
3f5017f5c80b7fc43ba7e4d4361e653c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk