How big and heavy of an antenna can a tail-light mount handle?

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
So for those of us with tail-light antenna mounts, like the terraflex, how big/ heavy can we go?

I was looking at 5’ Firestik IIs, then saw that the Firefly version is thinner and lighter, but not quite as powerful.

My main interest is maximum range, and I am not worried about obstacles (I have a 2’ antenna for trails.)

I have been running a 4' Firestick for 2M ham radio which has most of the winding at the top with a spring mount for a couple years with no problems. It does lean back a little at highway speed. I am sure others will be in here soon with other experiences. Good luck to you.

Nice, thanks. And is that on a tail-light mount?

I wonder if the 2m Ham Firestiks are the same weight as the CB ones. I'll go check on their site.

I have the Teraflex, they recommend that you add a bolt for strength above the light that goes through the tub. Makes it very strong, don't see why it wouldn't handle a 5' easily (I have a 4' Firestick on it most of the time, switch to shorter as needed).

Nice, thanks. And is that on a tail-light mount?

I wonder if the 2m Ham Firestiks are the same weight as the CB ones. I'll go check on their site.
I think you will find them similar just different amounts of wire wrapped on the similar fiberglass stick. Let us know.