How big of a tire can I fit under my TJ?

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the help with my engine swap questions. I just attended Jeepin With Judd here in Florida as my first real jeepin' event! I had a blast with my totally stock TJ doing some incredible obstacles. The event helped me realize just how bad my jeep addiction is getting. So I have come to the conclusion that I would like to get some bigger wheels and tires. My jeep already has a 1" body lift on it and im running 29" tires on it. I'd like to find another set of 16"-17" wheels for it but I'm not sure how big of a tire I can fit under it. So I'm turning to you guys for some help! What size tire do you suggest getting for it with the small lift I have?

With a 1" lift a 31" tire would be perfect. You could fit a 32", but it would be a bit tighter than a 31". A 31" is really a great size for that 1" lift.

So if it was me, I would go with a 31X10.50R17 (assuming you're planning on 17" wheels).

Reactions: JMT
You'll have a much greater choice of tire sizes if you stick with a 15" wheel. X2 on what @Chris said. A 31" tire would be ideal. Keep in mind, the bigger you go, the worse your gearing will become, unless you re-gear to the appropriate ratio for said bigger tire.

You'll have a much greater choice of tire sizes if you stick with a 15" wheel. X2 on what @Chris said.

First - Welcome to the forum
Second - Please complete your profile so we can see what you've got.
Third - Unless I absolutely hated the 15's I owned I would not change to a bigger wheel. Also a BL alone is somewhat unusual, what is your spring height?

Ask this guy :)

Hey guys,
Thanks for the info! To answer your question 05 Blue Unlimited, the guy who owned it before me put 1" spacers under the springs to give it more clearance. He had 17" wrangler wheels on it with 30" tires. He also had 1" wheel spacers on it to give it clearance from the frame. I'm just in the market to have something bigger on there than my 29"s.

Reactions: JMT
the guy who owned it before me put 1" spacers under the springs
Hey thanks for the pic. Nice looking ride...enjoy!

Ok so (and I know the terminology can be a bit overwhelming at first) there is a Budget Boost (BB) currently installed not a Body Lift (BL). Measure the frame height since the PO only put a 1'' BB on you may only be at stock height. To measure you want to go from the bottom spring perch to the top. The stock height is 12'' anything over is lift, the rear stock is 8''. 31's will fit with no lift, you can stuff 32's under it as @Chris said but you can run into issues. You will also want to confirm the bump stop is correct as well. @jjvw has written extensively on that.

For an update! I ended up going with Cooper Discovery MTP 31/10.5/15. I probably will be stepping up even more soon, but they absolutely blow my old tires out of the water!

I wish I could plan one like we could a few months ago! My Jeep is now parked at Tinker AFB waiting for me. I should be finishing up my training here at Lackland AFB in November. Yall need to come out to Oklahoma, they do some real wheelin out there!

Reactions: Matt888