How can I fix this Dana 35 axle seal leak?

Lytle15

My passenger rear tire was leaking oil from the axle. I drained diff and pulled the axle to change the seal but after all was done seal is still leaking. I don’t know what to do to stop this leak.

I was thinking maybe use a new seal and bearing I see online. I only replaced the passenger side rear axle seal and not the bearing. i’ll link images of the seal I used. but the seal I bought at oreileys looks a bit different than the ones sold online by quadratec.

The one I installed :

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...suv-1999-jeep-wrangler?q=rear+axle+seal&pos=0

https://www.quadratec.com/sites/def...uct_zoomed/public/product_images/8134036K.jpg

I’m also worried that my axle could be worn down from the bad seal and that’s why it won’t seal properly again. i’ll link an image to the axle after I pulled it out.

950964B8-2249-480B-85FD-E3D75CCE298B.jpeg

My passenger rear tire was leaking oil from the axle. I drained diff and pulled the axle to change the seal but after all was done seal is still leaking. I don’t know what to do to stop this leak.

I was thinking maybe use a new seal and bearing I see online. I only replaced the passenger side rear axle seal and not the bearing. i’ll link images of the seal I used. but the seal I bought at oreileys looks a bit different than the ones sold online by quadratec.

The one I installed :

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...suv-1999-jeep-wrangler?q=rear+axle+seal&pos=0

https://www.quadratec.com/sites/def...uct_zoomed/public/product_images/8134036K.jpg

I’m also worried that my axle could be worn down from the bad seal and that’s why it won’t seal properly again. i’ll link an image to the axle after I pulled it out.

View attachment 277199
You need new axle shafts, bearings and seals. The picture you posted shows where the bearing has eaten into the axle shaft. The axle can’t run true through the seal and will always leak…

Circled is where the shaft is compromised. Arrow shows the metal remnant dust from the destruction as you drive the Jeep along…

7579859E-05C8-4A95-95CE-0A613382D3B1.jpeg

You need new axle shafts, bearings and seals. The picture you posted shows where the bearing has eaten into the axle shaft. The axle can’t run true through the seal and will always leak…

Circled is where the shaft is compromised. Arrow shows the metal remnant dust from the destruction as you drive the Jeep along…

View attachment 277200
So with replacing axle shafts and bearings should I replace both sides or just the side with the leak. Thank you.

I'd go for both sides. What size tires are you running and do you have any plans for a larger size?
I currently have 33x12.50s and don’t plan on going bigger anytime soon. I’m debating if it’s a better option to not only replace axles, bearings, and seals but also the ring pinion and slider gears. when I opened up the diff cover they were chipped and pitted a good amount. I didn’t see any big lose metal pieces but there was definitely metal in the oil.

So do you think i’d be saving money in the long run regearing now? because the gears in the rear look sketch I figure i’d be better to replace with a more ideal gear ratio now before something happens and my rear did locks up on me.

I currently have 33x12.50s and don’t plan on going bigger anytime soon. I’m debating if it’s a better option to not only replace axles, bearings, and seals but also the ring pinion and slider gears. when I opened up the diff cover they were chipped and pitted a good amount. I didn’t see any big lose metal pieces but there was definitely metal in the oil.

So do you think i’d be saving money in the long run regearing now? because the gears in the rear look sketch I figure i’d be better to replace with a more ideal gear ratio now before something happens and my rear did locks up on me.
It definitely sounds like now would be a good time to regear. What engine and transmission are you running? We need to know those, which are both missing from your Profile, before a ratio can be recommended. You can stay with stock replacement axle shafts with 33" tires but if you think you may want to install a rear locker, it's time to upgrade both of your rear axle shafts to 27 spline 1541H axle shafts. Stock shafts are fine for 33" tires but not once a locker gets added to the mix.

It definitely sounds like now would be a good time to regear. What engine and transmission are you running? We need to know those, which are both missing from your Profile, before a ratio can be recommended. You can stay with stock replacement axle shafts with 33" tires but if you think you may want to install a rear locker, it's time to upgrade both of your rear axle shafts to 27 spline 1541H axle shafts. Stock shafts are fine for 33" tires but not once a locker gets added to the mix.
I have a I6 but with a 5 speed manual. I want to upgrade my axles and beef up my axles because I have 33s. Would it be a smart idea to: Regear (preferably 4.56), replace rear axle shafts with 27 spline 1541H, and new spider gears because they are pitted and chipped?

I have a I6 but with a 5 speed manual. I want to upgrade my axles and beef up my axles because I have 33s. Would it be a smart idea to: Regear (preferably 4.56), replace rear axle shafts with 27 spline 1541H, and new spider gears because they are pitted and chipped?
if you're going to crack it open, regear, and upgrade shafts, you might as well put in a locker at the same time. Too much work not to do all that in one fell swoop IMO

Yes.