How can I fix this exhaust leak?

pixologics

TJ Enthusiast
Everyone, I was able to troubleshoot and isolate the exhaust leak in my Jeep using the blower and soap water spray. It's coming at some joint near the sensor under engine bay. Please see the attached pictures and video. I have tried to tighten some nuts but was not able to completely reach the narrow path even with the letter ng tube extension that I have.

Also I am not sure if the leak would go away by merely tightening the bolts.

So, if I want to fix it what is the right approach? Any tips or videos. I am not able to locate on internet the video of exact issue.
Jeep model year is 2006 Rubicon.

IMG20210331182738.jpg

IMG20210331180508.jpg

Unless my eyes are seeing wrong, your entire cat is disconnected :LOL:

I don't need a soap test to tell me that! That's one big ass leak!

You either need new pre-cats or you need someone with welding skills to fix it for you.

Either way, the pre-cats are coming off to get this done.

Unless my eyes are seeing wrong, your entire cat is disconnected :LOL:

I don't need a soap test to tell me that! That's one big ass leak!

You either need new pre-cats or you need someone with welding skills to fix it for you.

Either way, the pre-cats are coming off to get this done.
That's the shadow over there they're not disconnected. I tried screw the nuts and it did help a bit but I am not able to reach all nuts and also wanted to know if they get completely sealed or there a gap always in those joint.
Another vehicle de of before even tackling it.

IMG20210331171830.jpg

IMG20210331180634.jpg

Attachments

• VID20210331171738.mp4
    17.8 MB
Okay, those look completely disconnected but I guess it is just the shadow.

Either way your pre-cats need to come out. It looks like it's leaking between the flanges of where they connect to ehe exhaust manifold. Not sure if there's supposed to be a gasket there.

Reactions: pixologics
Mine doesn't have a gasket.

I'd unbolt them. It will be easier to see if anything is wrong or perhaps they just need to be seated better.

Okay, those look completely disconnected but I guess it is just the shadow.

Either way your pre-cats need to come out. It looks like it's leaking between the flanges of where they connect to ehe exhaust manifold. Not sure if there's supposed to be a gasket there.
Yes I was also wondering if they have gasket but can't see any foreplay. They are firmly attached no movement.

Mine doesn't have a gasket.

I'd unbolt them. It will be easier to see if anything is wrong or perhaps they just need to be seated better.
What is the best tool to tackle these restricted area bolt. I struggled alot to even reach out the ones on other end. Not completely even visible.

What is the blower and soapy water thing? Spray soapy water on connections and blow air in the tailpipe?

As far as leaking at that point, I have an ‘06 also and had to remove my exhaust to replace my oil pan gasket. There is no gasket between those joints. I was surprised to see that. It’s just a metal on metal fit. Maybe they are just not lined up good and that's causing the leak.

If you need to loosen those bolts that hold them together, prepare for a fight. They were incredibly tight on mine. It might be best to remove the hardware and replace it completely. Ive seen the nut and bolt kits on ebay.

I’d also suggest spraying the nuts down with good penetrating oil like Kroil or a 50/50 mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Me and my buddy fooled around with pb blaster, and some no name brand of penetrating oil for a few hours and they wouldn’t budge. Sprayed the 50/50 mix on there around midnight went back at it the next morning and they came loose like they were never even tightened.

What is the best tool to tackle these restricted area bolt. I struggled alot to even reach out the ones on other end. Not completely even visible.
I use a wobble socket on a long extension. I have a relatively cheap set from HF that hasn't failed me yet.

I think I used a socket with a universal attached to it, or a socket with built in universal. I remember it being tight in there but don’t remember which one fit.

What is the blower and soapy water thing? Spray soapy water on connections and blow air in the tailpipe?

As far as leaking at that point, I have an ‘06 also and had to remove my exhaust to replace my oil pan gasket. There is no gasket between those joints. I was surprised to see that. It’s just a metal on metal fit. Maybe they are just not lined up good and that's causing the leak.

If you need to loosen those bolts that hold them together, prepare for a fight. They were incredibly tight on mine. It might be best to remove the hardware and replace it completely. Ive seen the nut and bolt kits on ebay.

I’d also suggest spraying the nuts down with good penetrating oil like Kroil or a 50/50 mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Me and my buddy fooled around with pb blaster, and some no name brand of penetrating oil for a few hours and they wouldn’t budge. Sprayed the 50/50 mix on there around midnight went back at it the next morning and they came loose like they were never even tightened.
Thanks for clarifying. Yes shoved up blower down it's tail end and sprayed water all along to detect leak. Just like air bubbles come out in testing tire/tube puncture.
What hardware did you mean to remove. I also have to look into some oil pan leak.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Short socket, universal, short extension, universal and long extension.
For a quick, add fender washer, that will force the flange to close the gap more.

The correct permanent is replace the hardware, if brake loose the cat hardware is little easier.

Thanks for clarifying. Yes shoved up blower down it's tail end and sprayed water all along to catch detect leak. Just like aur bubbles come me out in testing tire/tube puncture.
What hardware did you mean to remove. I also have to look into some oil pan leak.
I never thought of that, but that is a good way to check. Makes perfect sense.

The hardware holding the exhaust manifold and precast together. I thought I had one saved that had the nuts and bolts, but I guess not. You could clean the bolts up or replace with some from a hardware store that fit the nuts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-CHERO...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Short socket, universal, short extension, universal and long extension.
For a quick, add fender washer, that will force the flange to close the gap more.

The correct permanent is replace the hardware, if brake loose the cat hardware is little easier.
What hardware did you mean to replace here. These will open easily with the right tool and little space as there is no rust.

I never thought of that, but that is a good way to check. Makes perfect sense.

The hardware holding the exhaust manifold and precast together. I thought I had one saved that had the nuts and bolts, but I guess not. You could clean the bolts up or replace with some from a hardware store that fit the nuts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-CHERO...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
It looks like in my case these are loose a bit and I think the clips are in good shape some proper torque may fix it.
I an holding some basic home tools so maybe need to get these special universal sockets.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.

Thanks for your mention about penetrating oil. I had to google a bit to understand it but I found this article very informative so thought to share.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.engineeringforchange.org/news/how-to-make-penetrating-oil/amp/

What hardware did you mean to replace here. These will open easily with the right tool and little space as there is no rust.
The exhaust bolts tend to hardened with the time use, causing the issue you have if they are not the correct hardware. if i can i do replace them but if yours are ok then no need for.

The exhaust bolts tend to hardened with the time use, causing the issue you have if they are not the correct hardware. if i can i do replace them but if yours are ok then no need for.
I got you now. It seems there was no rust in there I will inspect them again tomorrow.