How can I prevent these tiny rust spots on the fender?

dRon

I'm looking for solutions on how to correct BB size rust dots where the fenders tie to the body. There isn't many of them, but they are starting to accumulate. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Darren

First, pictures would help.

Generally sand them out to bare metal and repaint. There is probably more rust there than you can see.

Reactions: JMT
What good is this thread without photos?

That being said, the only way to stop rust is to get rid of it. You need to take the spots of rust down to bare metal, and then touch them up with paint. Then, if you want to prevent them don’t drive when there is salt on the roads or take care of the rust as soon as it occurs and wash the vehicle frequently after driving on salted roads.

I'm looking for solutions on how to correct BB size rust dots where the fenders tie to the body. There isn't many of them, but they are starting to accumulate. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Darren
Generally if you are seeing those spots on the top of your fender it's already to late and even spot repairs will ultimately fail. Our Jeep front fenders are known for that.

Reactions: someguysjeep
If you really got something going on you need to consider moving them and doing some aluminum fenders and getting the thing out of the salt... Are you around the shore or something?

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I'd sand it down a bit and spray it with Rustoleum. 😊

633688454804436360-irony.jpg

• Haha
Moisture from below where that wiggly shaped piece of support metal is welded can continue to feed rust back up through the paint no matter how well you do the top side. I'm trying an experiment where I ground a slot through that support piece and filled it up with Fluid Film. Not sure if it will work, or just prolong the inevitable rust hole in the center top surface.

Moisture from below where that wiggly shaped piece of support metal is welded can continue to feed rust back up through the paint no matter how well you do the top side. I'm trying an experiment where I ground a slot through that support piece and filled it up with Fluid Film. Not sure if it will work, or just prolong the inevitable rust hole in the center top surface.
Curious as I noticed a few tiny dots appearing on my fenders. How had this method worked out for you? I’m contemplating something similar to address the root of the problem

Reactions: N757KF
I have a dime sized spot on top of my fender, directly above that brace underneath. I soaked it with fluid film (underneath) and plan to sand/drill through it from the top, fill it and soak it with POR before painting the spot. I will seal around the brace underneath so water can't get back in there. I want to make the repair as small as possible and see if it works.
p.s. Option #2. Get a loan from @AndyG or @John Cooper and get some nice aluminum fenders. Matching rear fenders would be nice too. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: PCO6 and jazngab
I have a dime sized spot on top of my fender, directly above that brace underneath. I soaked it with fluid film (underneath) and plan to sand/drill through it, fill it and soak it with POR before painting the spot. I will seal around the brace underneath so water can't get back in there. I want to make the repair as small as possible and see if it works.
p.s. Option #2. Get a loan from @AndyG or @John Cooper and get some nice aluminum fenders. ;)

Have you heard of anyone experimenting by getting rid of that brace plate altogether?

I’m not a fan of aftermarket fenders. I prefer the classic TJ look. But i don’t slow down/stop this fender rust, I may be in the market for a set in a few years

I have a dime sized spot on top of my fender, directly above that brace underneath. I soaked it with fluid film (underneath) and plan to sand/drill through it from the top, fill it and soak it with POR before painting the spot. I will seal around the brace underneath so water can't get back in there. I want to make the repair as small as possible and see if it works.
p.s. Option #2. Get a loan from @AndyG or @John Cooper and get some nice aluminum fenders. Matching rear fenders would be nice too. ;)

When I replaced the front fenders on my LJ I decided to remove the braces completely. The new fenders were fine but I could tell that they were poorly painted under the braces. The adhesive they used was a bit of a water trap. I don't know how valuable they are as a stiffener. I sealed all of the edges, seams, etc. and then liberally painted and undercoated the undersides. It's been about 2 years without them and so far so good.

20-07-21 1.JPG

20-07-21 2.JPG