How can I securely place a video camera under my car?

Bunbury

Let me explain. There is a very strange and loud sound that I get on my 2002 TJ. Its coming from the rear. I can not replicate it on command. The best way I can explain it is if something comes unhindged and actually shifts the Jeep slightly, but very noticeably. It's startles you. Usually happens when im driving slowly thrrough the niehgborhood (thank goodnes) and not on the highway; never on the highway actually. I know that is a horrible explanation; I have two reliable mechanics that I trust and they both had a confused face when I tried to describe it. Sadly, I can never get the car to make the sound during our ride alongs and the Jeep "seems in great shape" after an inspection by them. Something is deffinitley wrong though.

Back to the topic of this thread: I remember seeing a Youtube video a while back and a guy had a similar issue (it ended up being something different) but the point is that he placed a camera underneath his Jeep and posted it which I thought was an amazing idea. At this point, this is my only recourse. I did a prelimnary search online for some type of device but no luck: it might endup being a DYI where I place an old cell phone back there or something, but before I do anything, I decided to post here to see if anyone had any experience (or a better idea!). Thank you.

Let me explain. There is a very strange and loud sound that I get on my 2002 TJ. Its coming from the rear. I can not replicate it on command. The best way I can explain it is if something comes unhindged and actually shifts the Jeep slightly, but very noticeably. It's startles you. Usually happens when im driving slowly thrrough the niehgborhood (thank goodnes) and not on the highway; never on the highway actually. I know that is a horrible explanation; I have two reliable mechanics that I trust and they both had a confused face when I tried to describe it. Sadly, I can never get the car to make the sound during our ride alongs and the Jeep "seems in great shape" after an inspection by them. Something is deffinitley wrong though.

Back to the topic of this thread: I remember seeing a Youtube video a while back and a guy had a similar issue (it ended up being something different) but the point is that he placed a camera underneath his Jeep and posted it which I thought was an amazing idea. At this point, this is my only recourse. I did a prelimnary search online for some type of device but no luck: it might endup being a DYI where I place an old cell phone back there or something, but before I do anything, I decided to post here to see if anyone had any experience (or a better idea!). Thank you.
You could do a gopro

does your jeep have any mods?
what your describing sounds like the action of a Detroit out back

Own a jack?
Jack up rear end...
Put Jeep in neutral.......
Turn a tire (either side).....
If both tires go same direction....

You've a locking differential

If the other tire goes in the opposite direction you've an open differential...no locker.

You have options,

* Tape up something
* Rig up an adjustable tripod
* GoPro mounts (clamp, suction, magnet)
* hire a friend to ride nearby and report