How can I stop this transfer case leak?

John’o

Supporting Member
I have a leak on my transfer case. Started leaking at same time SYE drive shaft seal started leaking (kid drove the TJ so I suppose he smacked something hard). The O-ring was munched when I removed and replaced the 1st time. I replaced the O-ring three times.
It leaks with little to no torque,
It leaks with mid-level good-n-tight torque,
And It keeps leaking with Plenty in of torque.
Questions: What is the correct O-ring? Should I get a copper crush washer?
Should I get a new plug?
What is correct torque?
Links for what to get are much appreciated.

583CEC15-9005-42D2-995F-2C570161C6CE.jpeg

6DBB9ECC-6D10-48F2-96D8-23B667F4053C.jpeg

Are you using an oil-safe O-ring, or one for water pipes? Is there a burr in the SYE housing, or on the speed sensor?

The speedo sensor is actually 2 pieces, and there's another o-ring on the inner piece...which you don't even realize is a separate part until you do the work. I had a leak in the same spot and it was resolved when I replaced it. This is from a 97 from it's similar on other years.

1675133109545.png

Mia culpa. It is not leaking from the speed sensor. The leak is from this plug. Any idea what it is called?

75750112-8F0E-4678-96BB-1A4CDF8FE941.jpeg

oh that's the selector shaft...I've never understood why that was built that way. Yeah, I would just RTV it if you can't make the o-ring not leak.

Reactions: John’o
oh that's the selector shaft...I've never understood why that was built that way. Yeah, I would just RTV it if you can't make the o-ring not leak.

Huge thanks. I don’t mind RTVing. I used to work on 40 year old Helos. Just don’t want to do something silly out of ignorance.

52138E8F-89D3-4768-9483-595152FA8A27.jpeg

It is for a switch that was used on YJ/XJs.