How can I tell if my engine has been rebuilt?

I'm not sure how to answer this but if something has caused you to get to the point that you can see the bearings whatever needs done now probably matters more than what has been done in the past.

My reply bumping this to the top might not hurt either.

Agreed. Yes it is in need of repair. Copper in the oil.. the concern is in regards to the previous owner. Who it was, was really neglectful. My worry is that if it has been rebuilt at some point I'm not sure if I want to attempt the same. Or just go straight for the reman.. wanting a little info in order to help make the wisest decision possible.

But thanks for your input for sure!!

It has to come out, either way rebuilt or remanufactured. Get it out, take a look at it (or whoever is doing the work) and decide whether it’s more economical to fix the current or get another. I wouldn’t worry about what was done in the past, just about what makes the most sense for you.

If the work was consistently crap then I doubt any rebuild he may have done included any machine shop work. Sounds like a refresh at best. So if you are worried about bored cylinders or crank work it seems unlikely that any of that work would have been done. And if you have copper flakes in the oil then new bearings sound unlikely too.

The original post/question is for my interest alone. The engine is in the way out in the process of being torn down and evaluated. I am just really curious what the factory markings are the bearing And such. It's more of an attempt to put together my own history of the vehicle.

I know what needs to be done. I know it probably wasn't done right the first time. I know I'm not dr.brown or mcfly and can't go back in time because it doesn't matter what happened in the past. I just wanna know what he did.

Measure cylinder diameter. Doesn't help unless you already have it torn down a bit. But you will know if it's been bored out or not.
What about checking the serial number on the block? Might tell you if the motor is the original or not.

Reactions: TheReV
I think the factory bearings were stamped with "std" in mine. A bunch of RTV everywhere would be a pretty good indication that it was apart and put back together by a shadetree mechanic.

There are always choices.
Rebuilt vs Remanufactured is the big one.

I've done a few rebuilds and realize this is like buying snake oil.
Ive also done a few remanufactured engines,,,, night and day difference.
The remanufactured engine comes with a seven year warranty.
I've had three from these guys. FABULOUS product. Forget about a rebuild... get the 7 Year Warranty.

My last buy was 2 years ago. $2200 for a long block.. less the core for an $1800 investment. Night and day difference. No rear main seal leak. Tight valve cover. New performance.... Like I NOTICED the difference. Screw what is wrong with yer engine. ALL TJs are at least 14 years old. If you need a new engine.... just git 'er done.

https://www.sandjengines.com
I'll bet they have one in stock. Their warehouse is the size of an arena, they ship worldwide.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flivver250