How Can We Identify a Good Off Road Shop?

jjvw

useless stäff member
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Having watched and participated in many discussions about solving preventable problems created by the local hardcore off road shop installing the wrong size shocks, poor fitting components, unnecessary long arm kits, etc, what can the average guy watch out for when selecting a professional shop to do work on our Jeeps?

Are there questions we can ask, or telltale signs to look for that suggest a shop actually knows what they are doing beyond painting steering links and control arms bright colors?

I don't know if your asking about this exactly but I wouldn't bother asking any shop anything. The saddest part is that the only people to ask is other Jeep guys. Wait a minute, what am I saying? Talking to Jeep guys isn't sad at all.

I'd think the telltale signs would be a bunch of Jeeps both waiting to be worked on and sitting out back donating their parts.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
If they have a forklift, they're legit.
:meparto:

I think like @JEEPCJTJ said you need to inspect the work they have either done or are doing. If it's up the standards and quality you expect then go for it.

Furthermore, be extremely precise in what you want done.

Well then, I guess 4 wheel parts is the winner?

sorry, I forgot the roll eyes emoji!

Last edited:
Having watched and participated in many discussions about solving preventable problems created by the local hardcore off road shop installing the wrong size shocks, poor fitting components, unnecessary long arm kits, etc, what can the average guy watch out for when selecting a professional shop to do work on our Jeeps?

Are there questions we can ask, or telltale signs to look for that suggest a shop actually knows what they are doing beyond painting steering links and control arms bright colors?
I wish I knew the answer. With rare exception, there are only two places I bad mouth publicly, and one of them is 4 Wheel Parts. I do not recommend any local places due to seeing too much crap come out of them for me to be able to avoid any blowback.

I would say to find folks that will take the time to chat with you and find out what you need and then tell you how they will accomplish that, in detail. If you know enough, they will ring true when they talk. If you don't, that's going to be tough.

Reactions: jjvw and Chris

I would say to find folks that will take the time to chat with you and find out what you need and then tell you how they will accomplish that, in detail. If you know enough, they will ring true when they talk. If you don't, that's going to be tough.

This also puts some responsibility on the customer to understand what the discussion is (which is good overall life advice). One would think that we should be able to trust an off road shop to put new shocks in without creating a scenario for breaking a mount off.

I've cycled through enough interests in my life that it is instinctive for me to do the research. I'm also very aware that this is somewhat unusual. At the same time, my inclinations are to learn to do the work myself (sometimes to my own peril...) which may be even more unusual. This is probably also why I have this question in the first place.

Do your research here about the issue at hand. Get a few contacts from the internet search. Call them and start asking questions. Know the answer to the questions. If you do not feel they have a grasp of your issue, move on.

I had to do this once I realized I would have been in over my head on a project I learned about here.

Reactions: StG58
Meet as many other Jeep owners as you can. On here and other forums is a great place to post this question too. List your area. And see who others are going to and who others are avoiding. I would avoid the big box ones like 4 Wheel Parts. At least near me here in LA. I do like that I can buy parts from them and have them delivered to the store next day. That's about all I use them for now. I tried them once as they were the best deal. And promptly got ripped off.

I use word of mouth, Yelp (which is far from perfect.) and trying out as many good reputation places as I can. I also don't take my Jeep to the 4 wheel drive place to have my oil changed. Or for a new set of tires. I go to a specialty shop or a national chain with good deals on simple items. About the only thing I would go to a 4wheel drive shop for is suspension, gear and driveline issues. And I would research on here and with others - and know exactly what I wanted - before I shopped around for a shop to do the work. I even rotate between places for normal issues like having an alternator replaced or things like that. Sometimes my go to general mechanic - who is as honest as the day is long - has the best price on something simple like an alternator change. But sometimes the national or statewide chain can do it for far less. So I bid out everything I want done. And go to the place with the best deal and the best reputation. No one place gets all my business.

And I would avoid asking any shop what they think. Their business is to sell. Period. There there to make money. You can't fault them for selling you on unneeded crap that you didn't research yourself. The days of the "helpful salesman" are over. I don't even talk to salesmen at any retail outlet for anything. Shoes, dishwashers - anything. My mother is 76. And she still thinks it's 1950 and that there is a low price low quality item, a medium price medium quality item and a high price high quality item in each category. And that all she needs to do is ask the salesmen which are which. My father was the same way. Bless them. But to think that kind of honestly in american business is still alive and well. Is naive at best. (Not calling you or anyone else naive. Just saying. It used to be that way. You could go into a shop and get good quality advice. Not anymore. Unfortunately.)

I will say there is one 4 wheel driveline and suspension place here that is run by a good guy. That I will research and then run stuff by him. If there's an issue he'll point it out right away. But doesn't try to sell me on any part he's selling. Which is another thing. I always bring my own parts. I want to know for sure what's going into my car. Not whatever they get the best mark up on. I ask here and from others about parts. Make a decision. Buy the best deal I can find on that part. And then only get estimates for labor.

In this day and age you have to be skeptical. Get more than one opinion. And buy the service from the place with the best deal tempered by who's gonna do the best job. Again, for simple stuff - which is most stuff - I have four or five go to places that I get an estimate from. But if I wanted my suspension worked on I'd find the the best 4 wheel shop, research what I wanted, run it by them and then buy my own parts online.

Walk in, tell them you have an SE, and say you want to run FSR's. If they start talking 4" lifts and big tires, thank them and walk out. Especially if they don't mention gears. Good shops that consistently produce appropriately built Jeeps are very rare.

Reactions: mikespine and Chris
Ok I will bite, what exactly is appropriately built?
As a broad statement, I will argue that an indication of an appropriately built Jeep will have close attention given to the various travels and clearences. For the average build, I like to use a stock TJ as a beginning point for comparison. Have you made things better or worse than what the factory came up with? I happen to think the factory overall did a pretty good job for what they intended to build.

Going back to the earlier forklift comment and suspension work, a simple question I would ask is how does the shop determine the bump stop requirements. The answer will tell a lot about their methods and practices. There should be very little talk of forklifts.

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58

First, you have to find out what the client's needs and desires are with regard to where he wishes to spend his time offroad or if at all.

After that, you discuss tire size. Once tire size is settled on, then the details of what it takes to run that tire size for what he wants to do come into the discussion and a build plan is laid out either all at one or more typically in stages with the key goal being to not go backwards in any aspect of the build.

Being able to read a client gets tricky. Over the years I've come to learn that there are some like Chris who are just modification collectors and at the other end are those like myself who started wheeling on stock tires, when it wouldn't go where I wanted, I took it home, built it some, took it back and kept after it until it did what I needed.

The collectors are tricky. I had one in particular who asked me what to do next. Where are you going? Mostly Big Bear, some day the Rubicon, local mild stuff. I told him he didn't need a thing and his rig was set up perfectly for all of that and then some. He tells me, alright, what if I want to go to Johnson Valley? Well, you're gonna need some armor, lighter bumpers, lose the swingout, and get some better rock sliders. Dial in the shocks and you should be good.

He has me do all of that and over the course of a year I got to know him and his wheeling style and there isn't a chance in hell he is ever going to JV. That part of the conversation was just to get me to tell him what to buy and have installed.

First, you have to find out what the client's needs and desires are with regard to where he wishes to spend his time offroad or if at all.

After that, you discuss tire size. Once tire size is settled on, then the details of what it takes to run that tire size for what he wants to do come into the discussion and a build plan is laid out either all at one or more typically in stages with the key goal being to not go backwards in any aspect of the build.

Being able to read a client gets tricky. Over the years I've come to learn that there are some like Chris who are just modification collectors and at the other end are those like myself who started wheeling on stock tires, when it wouldn't go where I wanted, I took it home, built it some, took it back and kept after it until it did what I needed.

The collectors are tricky. I had one in particular who asked me what to do next. Where are you going? Mostly Big Bear, some day the Rubicon, local mild stuff. I told him he didn't need a thing and his rig was set up perfectly for all of that and then some. He tells me, alright, what if I want to go to Johnson Valley? Well, you're gonna need some armor, lighter bumpers, lose the swingout, and get some better rock sliders. Dial in the shocks and you should be good.

He has me do all of that and over the course of a year I got to know him and his wheeling style and there isn't a chance in hell he is ever going to JV. That part of the conversation was just to get me to tell him what to buy and have installed.
Bingo!
There are as many appropriately built baskets of modifications as there are owners.

Reactions: John Scoggins
I would advise, and have already, for someone to spend quite a bit of time here, just simply reading, and learning all they can then decide what direction they want to go with their build. There are lots of people on here that very smart about the Jeep TJ, as well as many other things. Time spent learning what things are, and what they do. If you don’t have the ability to do the work yourself, then at least you will have a clue if you have someone else do it for you. That alone can save you thousands of dollars over time, and a lot of heartache.
If you get sold a muffler bearing, blinker fluid, or an angry grill, you can only blame yourself for not reading about it here first.

Haha... I won't dispute that one bit Blaine. I am indeed a "modification collector".

Well said... I actually laughed out loud when I read that :risas3:

Reactions: BoldlyGoing