How Dangerous Are His Recovery Methods?

Following this one... I'm ignorant on recovery but want to learn, whenever I go wheeling it's with the kids in the back so I take it pretty easy and don't go anywhere near anything I think would really get me stuck. What sticks out to you in this video?

Biggest thing to me is how many connections he establishes in his recoveries. Count them...each one is a potential point of failure. The idea is to minimize connections during a recovery.

Reactions: qslim
It's odd how much he complains about his own equipment.
Yes. And has a thimble installed and doesn't know how to use it. Thinks the solution is to get another shackle to attach to his shackle that is attached to his d-ring on his bumper. And is seemingly oblivious to soft shackles.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
The number of connections he was using was fine. They were all stronger than the weakest link, ie; the tree saver itself. Using that thimble definitely increases that number.

Issues for me included:

- He had the gear to hook up the winch with the snatch block & thimble, ie; shackle from other side or back bumper, pin from the hook on the thimble, etc.

- Wrap around the axle? What about attaching to the frame???

- Jacking from the rock slider? Only if it's frame mounted.

- How about hooking the chain around the link itself?

- I have a jack attachment that goes on the wheel itself. Eliminates the need for the chain in his example. Or jack from the bumper.

Reactions: reddvltj
The number of connections he was using was fine. They were all stronger than the weakest link, ie; the tree saver itself. Using that thimble definitely increases that number.

It's fine until it isn't. Regardless, it is still an example of bad practice. With the right equipment, we can do a lot more with less and with much more safety.

The rest of your list has a lot to unpack as well...

Reactions: rasband
A lot of these rock sliders are bolted to the body, and pinched under the body/frame attach points. Not a good jack point.
Unless you have sliders that attach to the frame. Which is heavily preached in this forum. But still not widely used as far as I have seen.
Most, if not all sliders used by people on here that use them are body mounted - not frame. Frame mounted sliders have significant amounts of leverage and can lead to even more body damage. What reputable/commonly used brand of frame mounted rock sliders are you thinking of?

Here are Savvy’s and Genright’s. Designed by people who know what they are doing and use the sliders all the time....with full weight on rocks.

577300B0-DFE0-4DF9-BAED-81AB1F06ABFC.jpeg

0F8E0EE0-484F-445A-A5C2-247C84CA0617.jpeg

Reactions: taylormade73
Most, if not all sliders used by people on here that use them are body mounted - not frame. Frame mounted sliders have significant amounts of leverage and can lead to even more body damage. What reputable/commonly used brand of frame mounted rock sliders are you thinking of?
So your jacking from a body mounted slider?

Mine are from Extreme. Not sure they're "reputable" but I'm not jacking from them either.

Mine are from Extreme. Not sure they're "reputable" but I'm not jacking from them either.

I'm not jacking from the body mounted slider. Couldn't if I wanted to since the hi lift has been sitting in the corner for years.

Reactions: taylormade73

I never jack from my sliders even though they can handle the entire weight of the Jeep and not distort or damage. Using a high jack point like that is more dangerous than beneficial.

Do you know what brand they are from extreme terrain? Frame mounted “rock sliders” are known as “steps” for getting into the Jeep and not for rocks by the professionals.

Reactions: L J