How do I fix this pin on my Dana 30? Pics included

Jeepaholic

TJ Enthusiast
So I was installing my new cat assy so I can smog the jeep, and I pulled the front diff plug just to check the level since it's been leaking a little bit. That's when I discovered the fluid was grey and metal splinters on the plug. So I pulled off the cover, all the spider gears, pinion, ring gear look good, but the center pin looks like it somehow sheared the retaining pin and has been rotating, the metal on the plug matches the diameter of the hole in the case where the pin slides through.

Can I just tap in a new retaining pin and re assemble? And how did that happen?
20180526_163024.jpg
20180526_162848.jpg
20180526_163309.jpg
20180526_163541.jpg

If the entire roll pin is out then yes, tap in another one. If not, you will need to get whatever is left out of the bore. That is an odd one, cannot recall seeing a broken roll pin. The crosspin bore looks a bit wallowed out as well.

Thanks for the quick replies, I'm off to go find a roll pin! I guess I will just keep an eye on it, I have a high pinion Dana 30 from an xj that I'm going to put in it, after I get gear kits and decide what type of lockers I want.

To add to what Jerry said, hose it out real well with some brake cleaner to make sure you didn't leave pieces behind.

For sure, I'm gonna pick up an extra can to use in there, so far there is no noise and seems to spin free and smooth, just a weird part to break! I just need it to last long enough to build this other axle, but I don't know how soon that will be. Lockers and paying for a re gear is a bit expensive. I am very mechanically inclined, but gears are one of the things I never learned. I don't mind ruining a Dana 30 experimenting/learning, but I don't want to ruin the 44 in the back.

So, do this; have someone slowly move a wheel back and forth and see if there is any side movement of the cross pin. A loose bore will cause the cross pin to shift back and forth and could possibly damage the roll pin. That is the only way I could see it breaking like that.

Forgot to mention but you could try two roll pins one the correct size and then a smaller one driven inside the stock one ...I've done this before and it will help keep main one from breaking ...good luck

Well I can't find that pin anywhere local, and from what you guys are saying, is most likely going to happen again. So, I also have another spare axle with bent tubes, same gear ratio. Can I pop that carrier out and use it without any gear set up? A lunch box locker doesn't replace that case does it?

A lunchbox locker goes inside the carrier it doesn't replace it like a full case locker does.

What you could do is keep your pinion gear installed as is. Move your existing ring gear onto the replacement carrier and then install it. You would only need to set up its backlash which is a fairly easy process only involving shimming the carrier left or right to obtain the correct backlash.

Last edited:
Please correct me if I'm wrong. On the end of that cross pin, is there any way that it could have rubbed on the pinion shaft? Because I know that pin is turned and cut on a lathe. But the end of it looks odd.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. On the end of that cross pin, is there any way that it could have rubbed on the pinion shaft? Because I know that pin is turned and cut on a lathe. But the end of it looks odd.
I believe the end of it was actually contacting the ring gear itself, which is tapered upwards, and kept the cross pin from actually coming out. I think I barely escaped what could have grenaded the front axle and possibly caused a bad wreck.

Reactions: alittleoff
So, do this; have someone slowly move a wheel back and forth and see if there is any side movement of the cross pin. A loose bore will cause the cross pin to shift back and forth and could possibly damage the roll pin. That is the only way I could see it breaking like that.
Just checked the cross pin, the top where the roll pin goes through has no play, the bottom though I can see it moving about 1/8th inch when rocking tire back and forth. This carrier is toast right?

Just checked the cross pin, the top where the roll pin goes through has no play, the bottom though I can see it moving about 1/8th inch when rocking tire back and forth. This carrier is toast right?

Yup. Needs replaced.