How do I get the McGard wheel lock off without the key?

Russ_S

I was trying to take my wheel of to re torque my wheel spacers and the key broke off in the lugnut lock. Not a good start to my project. I went looking through the glove box for the card that has the item info to see if I could order a new ine and guess what was not there. I don't have a welder or i woukd try to weld a large bolt on and break it loose.

Message_1613170995452.jpg

Couple ways:

1. Hammer a slightly smaller socket over it and unscrew it. You might ruin the socket.
2. Buy a lock nut removal kit. Amazon or local parts store should have it.
3. Weld a lug nut to it and remove.
4. Take it to a tire shop and let them do it.

I didn't even think about the tire shop. There is one just down the street from me. Thanks!

Last edited:
Couple ways:

1. Hammer a slightly smaller socket over it and unscrew it. You might ruin the socket.
2. Buy a lock nut removal kit. Amazon or local parts store should have it.
3. Weld a lug nut to it and remove.
4. Take it to a tire shop and let them do it.
I tried hammering a 12 point socket on bit there is a collar around the outside that just spins. Smaller socket would not go over the hard part. Was gonna grab the dremil but was afraid to screw it Up to bad.

I tried hammering a 12 point socket on bit there is a collar around the outside that just spins. Smaller socket would not go over the hard part. Was gonna grab the dremil but was afraid to screw it Up to bad.
Tire shop of muffler shop can weld to it. Shouldn’t cost much or take long.

Tire shop didn't have a big enough stripped lugnut remover. Fedex is all screwed up from the weather. Dremil to the rescue. Took off the slip collar, turned a circle into an almost 3/4" hexagon, beat a 6 point 3/4" socket on, prayed, off it came. I don't want to do that again. Hope Fedex delivers my replacement mcgard lock soon.

0219211059.jpg

I’d take all the locking lug nuts off and go with regular lug nuts. If someone wants your wheels those aren’t going to stop them.
You're not really looking to STOP someone from stealing your wheels, just like you can't STOP someone from stealing your whole vehicle. You're just looking to either slow down a potential thief, and/or NOT offer someone a "crime of opportunity"...

Wheels/tires , battery, full/half doors, the whole vehicle - if someone REALLY wants any/all of those items, you're not gonna STOP them! Me - I've got wheel locks, door hinge "locks", and a SKIM system on my Jeep; I've also got three signs on my property warning of "Continuous Video Recording". I just want any thief to "go on to the next guy"...

I had to remove that same type of lug nuts from my dodge recently. I lost the key. Used a cold chisel to cut the rings off then hammered a socket on. Took a few mins a wheel. I just run regular lug nuts now.

Reactions: Tree killer
You're not really looking to STOP someone from stealing your wheels, just like you can't STOP someone from stealing your whole vehicle. You're just looking to either slow down a potential thief, and/or NOT offer someone a "crime of opportunity"...

Wheels/tires , battery, full/half doors, the whole vehicle - if someone REALLY wants any/all of those items, you're not gonna STOP them! Me - I've got wheel locks, door hinge "locks", and a SKIM system on my Jeep; I've also got three signs on my property warning of "Continuous Video Recording". I just want any thief to "go on to the next guy"...
I have S&W we don't fire warning shots anymore with the high cost of ammo

Reactions: Russ_S
Tire shop didn't have a big enough stripped lugnut remover. Fedex is all screwed up from the weather. Dremil to the rescue. Took off the slip collar, turned a circle into an almost 3/4" hexagon, beat a 6 point 3/4" socket on, prayed, off it came. I don't want to do that again. Hope Fedex delivers my replacement mcgard lock soon.

LOL. You bought another one?