How do I install new front shocks without shock shaft spinning?

Bad Habits

Question for everyone. I’m in the process of replacing my front shocks. Did the passenger side the other day, couldn’t get the top bolt to loosen it just spun the shaft of the shock. So I broke out the sawzall and cut it off. Went to install the new one, can only get the nut a few threads on before the shaft starts turning. How do you tighten that nut down onto the rubber spacer? Thanks for the help

They paint the threads so the nuts bind up. Wire brush the threads, use anti seize, and run the nut down. Also, there is a flat at the top of the threaded portion- I think it takes a 5/16 wrench- use that to hold the shaft from spinning.

Tried that, couldn’t get a tight enough grasp
You can get a standard size vise grip so tight there'd be no way the shaft could spin. Don't be afraid to turn the adjustment knob down far enough that it takes two strong hands all their strength to get it closed around the shaft. Vise grips are my tool of choice for removing a tight shock strut nut.

Reactions: JMT
You can get a standard size vise grip so tight there'd be no way the shaft could spin. Don't be afraid to turn the adjustment knob down far enough that it takes two strong hands all their strength to get it closed around the shaft. Vise grips are my tool of choice for removing a tight shock strut nut.
I am assuming the potential marring of the shock shaft by the vise grips won't hurt the shock performance? Thinking about the installation of new shocks, not the removal of old ones.

Question- are we talking about clamping a vise grip down on a new shaft just above the body? You'll damage that shaft.
Just a little common sense says to apply the vise grips to the strut just below the bushing. And the strut is not soft steel, don't turn this into something more than a simple commonly performed operation.

I think he means above the body when fully collapsed. Where the vice grips might leave a little scarring, this area will not go into the valve body thus won’t hurt anything.

• Sad
Reactions: billiebob
You said clamp right above the shock body. I wouldn't.
That point just below the bushing I recommended is above the shock body. In reality the vise grips don't have to be that tight with new shocks to hold the strut tight enough get the strut nut spun down tight.

This method works perfectly well when done by someone with just a little common sense on how to use the tools at hand to produce a good outcome. I've done this too many times without problem.

But if you don't feel you can do this without a good outcome by all means don't.