How do I know if my shocks are shot?

bobthetj03

Daily driver
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Other than the obvious fluid leaking or physical damage, what should I look for? they are OME Nitros. I pulled a shock and compressed it. Compression seems smooth and consistent. Return is slow but still comes back to full extension.

Those jparticular shocks should require quite a bit of effort to compress, they should have considerable stiffness when pushing in by hand. I don't recall how quickly mine rebounded but it didn't seem to be slow.

One way to test shocks is to push down hard on each corner of a vehicle. If the car continues to bounce after you let go, your shocks need replacing.

BTW, if you're in doubt and don't know the mileage of the shocks, then I'd probably replace them.

I know the mileage. I bought them new with the lift. Currently, 105K miles on them. Yeah I know, time to replace them. I think I'm going to try the RS5000X's.

I know the mileage. I bought them new with the lift. Currently, 105K miles on them. Yeah I know, time to replace them. I think I'm going to try the RS5000X's.

Yep, with that mileage there's a very good chance they're nearing the end of their life.